Author Topic: What are ppl reading now???  (Read 5517 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: What are ppl reading now???
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 04:32:08 pm »
Yes, there have been some newer books on Eleanor of Aquitaine, but I'm familiar with the one you mentioned. 

The LION IN WINTER  (1968 film) where Eleanor is played by Kate Hepburn (newer one has Glenn Close, pass) and Peter O'Toole is great. It's set during the Christmas court.  Not much holiday cheer in the film as it's more about intrigue, sibling rivalry, and a very very dysfunctional family.  I think Kate's "Eleanor" sums it's up best when she says "It's 1183 and we're barbarians!"

I've read A CHRISTMAS CAROL and love the musical version with ALBERT FINNEY.  The film was titled SCROOGE. "thank you very much, thank you very much."  It really puts me in the holiday spirit. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066344/

THE GIFT OF THE MAGI was written by O.Henry.  BBM won the O. Henry prize for best short story. The O. Henry Prize is the equivalent of the Pulitzer for short stories.  SO there is always a BBM tie-in somewhere.  ;)

I'll check out Capote's story based on SouthendMD's recommendation.  I'm sure they will have a copy of it at the library. I've met John Grimsley and heard him read from and discuss his book BOULEVARD. He was a very nice and personable.  I wasn't familiar with COMFORT AND JOY, but I will look into it. 

Thanks for your advice.

Yes Jeff, I've read your  BBM X-mas fanfiction . Quite good. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 04:40:23 pm »
Yes Jeff, I've read your  BBM X-mas fanfiction . Quite good. 

Well, thanks much, but I didn't or just necessarily mean mine. I read jpwagoneer's story last night. Real nice!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 07:14:19 pm »
Hey, don't forget the Book Thread over in 'Anything Goes':

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1059.0

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 09:28:30 pm »
Thanks for the link, del.  That's a cool thread.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...