Author Topic: What is your favorite Christmas song?  (Read 15258 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: What is your favorite Christmas song?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2006, 10:54:05 pm »
I like the CD by Loreena McKennitt "'A Winter Garden, five songs for the season".

She sings Coventry Carol, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Good King Wenceslas, Snow and Seeds of Love.

Recommend!   :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 12:38:50 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2006, 03:11:46 am »
Why are you surprised?  OK, I'm surprised I like it too.  No, I'm not familiar with Manheim Steamroller's version.  I'm pretty much a musical grunt.

Sorry, it just surprised me that you would be fond of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" because you are so openly not Christian.

The Mannheim Steamroller version includes vocals sung in Latin--very pretty and very haunting. I'm sorry I can't provide a link.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2006, 11:40:18 am »
I like the CD by Lorena McKennit "'A Winter Garden, five songs for the season".

Del, this is one of my all-time favorite albums.  I even listen to it outside of Christmas (especially "Seeds of Love").

Here's another favorite:  Jessye Norman's Christmastide.  It starts with O Come, O Come, Emmanuel and includes both sacred and non-sacred songs.  With a boy choir, no less.  She really belts on this one.  "Christmastide" also known as "Jessye's Carol" was written especially for her.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2006, 12:37:16 pm »
Sorry, it just surprised me that you would be fond of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" because you are so openly not Christian.

Don't be sorry, it's surprising to me too, but I guess I just like what music I like, no matter who makes it or why.  There are some beautiful masses by Beethoven that drive me to tears.

The Mannheim Steamroller version includes vocals sung in Latin--very pretty and very haunting. I'm sorry I can't provide a link.

I went to Amazon, but peversely enough, that single track was only available on one of their Xmas CDs and it was the box set which is priced much more than I want to pay for it.  There is even a 'listen' option, but for some reason I don't have the plugins and am such a computer illiterate that I don't know how to download the plugin so I can at least listen to a bit of it.  >:(

Quote from: delalluvia on December 16, 2006, 09:54:05 pm
I like the CD by Loreena McKennitt "'A Winter Garden, five songs for the season".

Del, this is one of my all-time favorite albums.  I even listen to it outside of Christmas (especially "Seeds of Love").

Mine too!  I only play it during the holiday season, so I can look forward to listening to it.  :)

Here's another favorite:  Jessye Norman's Christmastide.  It starts with O Come, O Come, Emmanuel and includes both sacred and non-sacred songs.  With a boy choir, no less.  She really belts on this one.  "Christmastide" also known as "Jessye's Carol" was written especially for her.

Off to Amazon!  Found it!  Thanks.  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2006, 06:49:43 pm »
Don't be sorry, it's surprising to me too, but I guess I just like what music I like, no matter who makes it or why.  There are some beautiful masses by Beethoven that drive me to tears.

I went to Amazon, but peversely enough, that single track was only available on one of their Xmas CDs and it was the box set which is priced much more than I want to pay for it.  There is even a 'listen' option, but for some reason I don't have the plugins and am such a computer illiterate that I don't know how to download the plugin so I can at least listen to a bit of it.  >:(

Sorry to hear that, Del. Goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation!  >:(  ;D (I'd be in the same boat as you, trying to download the whatever to listen to it.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 12:52:51 pm »
three very "non traditional" songs.

Mariah Carey "All I Want For Christmas Is You"

Kelly Clarkson "Grown Up Christmas List"

Faith Hill  "Where Are You Christmas"

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2007, 01:15:43 pm »
There are so Many!
 I love O'Holy Night sung by Georgia Boy John Berry.

My current favorite is Mary Did You Know -I like Clay Aikens version but any version is beautiful.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Tennessee Christmas
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2007, 11:24:44 pm »
Now that I'm YouTube savvy, I found a video of my favorites XMess song I mentioned last year.  I've seen the snow in Colorado since then, and there's a couple of prohetic lines noted...
-Lynne

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj9EqOJisTY&feature=related[/youtube]

I believe "Tennessee Christmas" was also recorded by Alabama.  It has a nice melody.  These lyrics are from Amy Grant & Gary Chapman, 1983.  This song provided a sense of home and warmth in the years I wasn't able to be with family over the holidiay.

Tennessee Christmas

Come on, weather man,
Give us a forecast snowy white
Can't you hear the prayers
Of every childlike heart tonight
Rockies are calling, Denver snow falling
Somebody said it's four feet deep
But it doesn't matter, give me the laughter
I'm gonna choose to keep.

Another tender Tennessee Christmas
The only Christmas for me
Where the love circles around us
Like the gifts around our tree
Well, I know there's more snow up in Colorado
Than my roof will ever see
But a tender Tennessee Christmas
Is the only Christmas for me.

Every now and then I get a wandering urge to see
Maybe California, maybe Tinsel Town's for me

There's a parade there, we'd have it made there
Bring home a tan for New Year's Eve
Sure sounds inviting, awfully exciting
Still I think I'm gonna keep.

Another tender Tennessee Christmas
The only Christmas for me
Where the love circles around us
Like the gifts around our tree
Well, they say in L.A. it's a warm holiday
It's the only place to be
But a tender Tennessee Christmas
Is the only Christmas for me.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2007, 01:39:20 pm »
I voted for "other" because my favorite is "Good King Wenceslas"

My Mom's all-time favorite is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."  She made a cassette tape (years ago) with a zillion different versions of that song and would play it in her car over, and over, and over...

It's a nice song but it got to be a bit much!  ;D

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2007, 01:44:25 pm »
three very "non traditional" songs.

Mariah Carey "All I Want For Christmas Is You"

Kelly Clarkson "Grown Up Christmas List"

Faith Hill  "Where Are You Christmas"

Could you BE any gayer???
Said in my best Chandler Bing voice!! LOL :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"