Author Topic: Would Jack have quit Ennis?  (Read 14441 times)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Would Jack have quit Ennis?
« on: December 07, 2006, 05:36:14 pm »
Would Jack have quit Ennis?

After many months of pondering this story, (and trying to read Jack's face after the fight by the lake, watching Ennis drive away), some people have concluded that Jack was going to quit Ennis, and that is the subject of today's poll.  How do you think things would have gone between our boys if Jack had not died?

With thanks to Amanda, Clarissa, Katherine, and ClancyPants!   :D

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Would Jack have quit Ennis?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 03:42:50 am »
IMHO.... Jack would NEVER quit Ennis.

That's my humble opinion.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 04:01:38 am »
"...Ennis was back on his feet and somehow, as a coat hanger straightened to open a locked car and then bent again to its original shape, they torqued things almost to where they had been, for what they'd said was no news.  Nothing ended, nothing begun, nothing resolved."
--Annie Proulx, Brokeback Mountain

IMO, Annie tells us plainly that Jack would never have quit Ennis.  Their relationship would have continued in much the same way it always had if Jack had not died.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 01:06:44 am »
I don't think Jack would quit Ennis just like that.  He loves him too much.  Jack would, however, try to find a new life if things were not changed.  I think Jack did think about quitting Ennis on the final meeting when he thought about the happiest time he had with Ennis--the Dozy Embrace.  I'm a beleiver in hope, so I think Ennis was making progress by sending the last postcard.  So in the November meeting, if Jack didn't die, things would change--a little.  Ennis takes small steps.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 12:22:14 am »
Jack would not have quit Ennis-that is part of the tragedy. The two of them would have continued in their love and misery until Ennis came around. I do believe Ennis was making that journey.

O0

Heathen

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 12:17:50 am »
This is a great question!  I went with an optimistic answer here and chose the "Ennis was making progress..." option.  Well, because I think it's true.  I think Ennis was making progress and we're given many tiny, subtle clues to this even before Ennis received the deceased postcard.  I don't think they would have been able to jump right into living together no matter what.  I do think an effort would be made to see each other more.  Maybe some baby steps towards progress would have been made.  I don't believe that Jack would have ever really been able to "quit" Ennis.  I think his statement at the lake makes it clear that Jack understands himself well enough to know that he wouldn't be able to leave Ennis after 20 years.  He really doesn't know how to quit him.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 09:46:16 am »
     Jack lived, Ennis would have tried to be with him more, and he would eventually have made a home with Jack.         

I think so...

au revoir,
hugs!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 10:16:15 am »
I voted that he woul never quit Ennis, he loved him enough to stick 20 years of the arrangement,so I think things would pretty much have continues.I do think  Ennis was changing as he sent the last postcard,and I would have loved for them to move in eventually. I am just not 100% convinced they would which is why I did not choose that option.

Inspired poll though!!!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 10:18:32 am »
Merci optom !

Interesting poll, isn't it ? !!

On peut en dire plus !!  (We can said much more !! )

Au revoir,
hugs!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 08:23:29 am »
I think Ennis was making progress and we're given many tiny, subtle clues to this even before Ennis received the deceased postcard.  I don't think they would have been able to jump right into living together no matter what.  I do think an effort would be made to see each other more.  Maybe some baby steps towards progress would have been made.  I don't believe that Jack would have ever really been able to "quit" Ennis.  I think his statement at the lake makes it clear that Jack understands himself well enough to know that he wouldn't be able to leave Ennis after 20 years.  He really doesn't know how to quit him.

That's pretty much how I saw it.  I do think that if Ennis had acted on their next meeting like nothing had changed -- or was going to -- Jack would have started to think about how long he could handle this and yes, he might have looked for someone else he at least liked at that point.  But it did look to me like Ennis was going to make an effort.