Author Topic: Would Jack have quit Ennis?  (Read 14434 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Would Jack have quit Ennis?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 03:54:05 pm »
Quit him? No way.
Jack does after all say "I wish I knew how to..." implicating that he doesn´t know how to do that

I think Ennis might have done some progress. As Vermont sunset pointed out to me during the trip to Wyoming Ennis statement to Jack during the "I did once" argumen "I can´t stand to lose anymore, Jack". And if he can´t stand it - he has to fix it, right? And the first step towards that could be him breaking up with Cassie.

But if it had gone so far as them moving in together....don´t know. But progress. I think yes.

But thing´s for certain - Jack would never quit Ennis. To me that just rings very false to the characters and the story. To me BBM is a story about to men who dont want to love each other - but who still (love being a force of nature and all that) and have to pay the prise for that love

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 06:21:35 pm »
Merci brokeback dev !

You say that Ennis thinks about Jack:
       Why did you go off and get killed.           

Dev: may I ask, if therefore, Ennis wanted to be protective of Jack ?

I think so... even if his dad had shown him a tortured body of a gay man ! Do you ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 06:25:12 pm »
Merci buffymon !

Your saying about Ennis' action:      And the first step towards that could be him breaking up with Cassie.

Buffymon: that surprises me, as if Ennis had a sexual relationship with Cassie, because I do not think that he did ! Do you ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 06:29:51 pm »
Merci souxi !

You say that Jack: ... would have met up (Ennis) in November as planned, and Jack would have broken things off with Ennis. Ennis would have started drinking heavily and gradually made himself ill.           

Souxi, you think really that Jack would have broke off his relationship with Ennis in the following November ?
Why ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 11:42:50 pm »
Merci buffymon !

Your saying about Ennis' action:      And the first step towards that could be him breaking up with Cassie.

Buffymon: that surprises me, as if Ennis had a sexual relationship with Cassie, because I do not think that he did ! Do you ?

Au revoir,
hugs!
No I don´t think he did either, but there was clearly a bond between them and they must have been seing each other to some extent - just think of how how heartbroken Cassie gets and her line "Girls don´t fall in love with fun". If she has had time to fall in love, I think they must have been out a few times

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 01:01:43 am »
I may be in the minority here, but I'm thinking that Ennis and Cassie's relationship was sexual, with Cassie being the initiator, of course, and Ennis going along (just as he did when she wanted to dance and when she wanted a foot rub).

At the bus station, Cassie is clueless as to why Ennis broke up with her, but she's also angry.  She can't figure out why they're no longer together, but she clearly wants to know why.  If they had never had sex, Cassie would have been able to figure out that Ennis just wasn't sexually attracted to her.  Even if she never understood that he was really in love with Jack, at the very least she would have known that there was no sexual chemistry between them and she could understand why they were no longer together:  that Ennis just didn't find her sexually appealing.  She acted much too hurt when she runs into Ennis for their relationship to have been nonsexual.  In my opinion, that kind of hurt only comes about after sex has been thrown into the mix.  It seems to me that Ennis broke her heart.  She clearly had wanted to marry him.  She was in love, and she can't figure out why she got dumped.

Perhaps another clue is the half-empty bottle of white wine in Ennis's refrigerator, the legacy of Cassie.  I think Cassie and Ennis shared at least one intimate moment in that sorry little trailer.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 01:08:58 am »

I think Ennis might have done some progress. As Vermont sunset pointed out to me during the trip to Wyoming Ennis statement to Jack during the "I did once" argumen "I can´t stand to lose anymore, Jack". And if he can´t stand it - he has to fix it, right? And the first step towards that could be him breaking up with Cassie.

Hunh, I always hear it as "I can't stand this no more, Jack."  What do other people hear, or know from the screenplay?

I have always assumed that Ennis and Cassie had a sexual relationship. 

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 02:27:28 am »

Hunh, I always hear it as "I can't stand this no more, Jack."  What do other people hear, or know from the screenplay?

I have always assumed that Ennis and Cassie had a sexual relationship. 

I hear "I jes can't stand this anymore, Jack." Pretty clearly. I just checked it because I thought it's "anymore" rather than "no more".
The line is not in the STS, but we know there are some differences between the actual movie and the STS.

And I can't imagine the relationship between Ennis and Cassie not being a sexual one. Fran explained it already. Additionally, there were years between their first encounter and the breakup (even if we don't believe it's been five years, as the published script in the STS book suggests).
No way they had been together for years and not have had sex.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 02:38:08 am »
As for the opening question: I voted Ennis made progress and he would have come around eventually.
The line quoted in the above post, the breakup with Cassie, his girls short of becoming adults and living their own life, Ennis's expression after Cassie spoke of LOVE in the bus station (the often talked about lightbulb moment), the perspective of being finished with child support payments soon, he knew exactly what they got in Mexico "fer boys like you" (which implies that Ennis was aware of Jack's, and therefore his own, sexuality) etc.
I don't think Ennis was this || short of moving in with Jack, but he made progress, they would have found ways to improve their situation, slowly but surely.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 08:13:25 am »
Did Ennis and Cassie know each other for years in the movie? For how many?
I never got the feeling they knew each other very well or were intimite with each other.
In the story the bottle does suggest that they had sex, but since we were never told in the movie that the bottle was from Cassie, I never made that connection. To me (in the movie) their relationship seems rather new and like Cassie never got much from Ennis - not love, not sex, not much of anything. Maybe it is the lack of that "Alma bitterness" on Cassie´s part that make me doubt that their relationship ever got to that point. If sex had been involved, I feel Cassie would have been much more bitter about Ennis dumping her out of the blue. When I watch the break up scene, Cassie to me seems sad, but not bitter. To me it feels like more she had a huge crush on Ennis and the things she had hoped for never came to be, and thats what she´s upset about.