Author Topic: Observation from TOB-Ennis' "I love you"  (Read 6034 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Observation from TOB-Ennis' "I love you"
« on: April 09, 2006, 10:07:52 pm »
We're such a chatty bunch I might have missed this topic so if I'm re-treading oh well. Anywhy at TOB there was an observation that when Ennis discovers the shirts in Jack's closet he whispers "I love you" into them. I was preettty skeptical but after nearly blowing out the speakers and pressing my face to the screen, low and beyold, it's true. Anyone else notice this? Is right after he takes the deep inhale-as he exhales to whispers "I love you".

O0

Heathen

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
Re: Observation from TOB-Ennis' "I love you"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 10:15:11 pm »
I still can't hear it....

However I do think I heard Jack say "lie back, come on" in the second tent scene... someone mentioned that the subtitles had them saying this and I of course had to investigate! I'm not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks on me but I could swear I heard it!  ::)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 10:18:20 pm »
It took a couple of rewinds before I got it-very subtle on the exhalation.

Heathen

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 10:29:12 pm »
I saw that thread too Ruby!  I annot wait for everyone to bed so I can put my DVD in and crank up the sound and set right on top of the screen and see if I can make that "I love you" out....I cannot believe one us hasn't noticed this before now if it's really there!  But I'm going to enjoy every minute of getting to the bottom of this mystery. LOL

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 10:33:05 pm »
I saw that thread too Ruby!  I annot wait for everyone to bed so I can put my DVD in and crank up the sound and set right on top of the screen and see if I can make that "I love you" out....I cannot believe one us hasn't noticed this before now if it's really there!  But I'm going to enjoy every minute of getting to the bottom of this mystery. LOL

I'll be interested to hear your report, Victoria. Sh-e-e-e-it, I can't even hear him inhale, let alone whisper anything!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

vkm91941

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 03:17:27 am »
O.K. Everyone, here is the results of my research...first let me say it was a real hardship  ;) watching that scene over and over again ::) BUT I did it  just for ya'all in the interest of information. 

I listened with the StereoTV at full blast, then again with headphones, then just the right speaker, then just the left :o all the while looking at poor Heath looking so damn hot, uhmm I mean forelorn... :'(..and guess what... HE does NOT say I love you, he doesn't SAY anything.

There is a sharp intake of breath when he first discovers the shirts and sees the blood and realizes what it is, then a sigh when he see's how Jack has carefully preserved his shirt inside his own.  Then another catch of breath and a sigh when you see the realization that Jack was in love with him dawn on his beautiful face and he clutches the shirts to his chest, inhales Jack's scent from them and sighs again.  :'(   By the time he comes back down the stairs he eyes are red rimmed from weeping.  All the more poignant when you think of Ennis's discovering all this about Jack and how he felt about him, after listening to that old crumdgeon Mr Twist talk about some other guy and the obivious pain on Ennis's handsome face while he listened.  And the expressions on Mrs Twist's careworn face...she knows, she knows it all from the minute Ennis arrives until he leaves.

Beautiful, beautiful scene but anyone who hears him whisper "I love you"  or "I loved you" is wishful thinking.  Part of the beauty and the tragedy of this story is Ennis's inability to utter those words.  I personally am relieved to discover they are NOT there.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 04:24:23 am by vkm91941 »

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 03:37:19 am »
I rewatched that scene several times and also did not see or hear "I love you" there.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 07:50:28 am »
Vicky, your beautiful description of that scene nearly has me weeping--

it also makes me realize that, if Heath/Ennis did not articulate the words (and you make a powerful case), he sure was thinking them....

Great acting from Heath--great writing from you.

Now I better get to work or I'll get fired. (Could I get a grant from some foundation, d'ya think, to be a full time broke-aholic?)

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 10:08:34 am »
Thank you, Victoria. I agree with John: Beautiful little piece of writing there. I always knew that was the moment when Ennis finally realized that what he and Jack shared was LOVE. It's nice to have your reenforcement.

I had suspected that the "I love you" line wasn't really there, but I didn't like to doubt RouxB.

John, we need to work something up to see whether we can get Brokaholism covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act. ...

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 01:50:33 pm »
No hope of that, Jeff, under the current regime--

Solution: let's start a foundation! We need to start calling wealthy Brokies and get an endowment!

Mebbe we should ask Dr. Leslie to write our proposal...
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"