Author Topic: Book Club: Discuss/find out about a Classic Tale Set in Wyoming: The Virginian  (Read 50770 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Wister seems to rotate through different characters who provide a foil for the Virginian, such as Scipio, Em'ly the hen, etc. As I recall, Uncle Hughey does appear a couple of times more: when he brings his bride home, and then later during a gathering. But you're right that his character that had such a promising start is largely undeveloped. Annie Proulx did that with her female characters in Brokeback Mountain, and we are lucky to have McMurtry and Ossana come along with their wonderful knowledge of female characters to flesh them out.

The greif The Virginian felt over the hanging of Steve was very powerful, and I was not sure what to make of the inuendo, the reference to their younger days and sexual exploits, it does not exactly say who whom.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
The greif The Virginian felt over the hanging of Steve was very powerful, and I was not sure what to make of the inuendo, the reference to their younger days and sexual exploits, it does not exactly say who whom.

I discuss these chapters, which are the climax of the book, here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6809.msg147350.html#msg147350

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
It will be so hard to tear myself away from this book, I have enjoyed getting to know The Virginian so much! But, I must, I must! Please leave your parting thoughts here.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
A parting quote about My Virginian,

“For though utterly a man in countenance and in his self-possession and incapacity to be put at a loss, he was still boyishly proud of his wild calling, and wore his leathern chaps and jingled his spurs with obvious pleasure. His tiger limberness and his beauty were rich with unabated youth; and that force which lurked beneath his surface must often have curbed his intolerance of me.”

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Book Club: Discuss/find out about a Classic Tale Set in Wyoming: The Virgini
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2007, 12:00:52 am »
A friend of mine called me tonite and recited a passage from memory from page 15 of the book, where the narrator first sites the Virginian. It was heavenly to poke produce while listening to poignant prose!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Book Club: A Classic Tale Set in Wyoming: The Virginian
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2011, 01:56:52 pm »
We can restart this discussion for those who have just picked up The Virginian to read recently!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
A friend of mine called me tonite and recited a passage from memory from page 15 of the book, where the narrator first sites the Virginian.

Let me guess. That would be our Off-line Chuck, who has quoted it to me on more than one occasion and mentioned the obvious homoeroticism in the passage.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Let me guess. That would be our Off-line Chuck, who has quoted it to me on more than one occasion and mentioned the obvious homoeroticism in the passage.
I had the exact same thought when I read the passage. It read as though he was checking him out and liking what he saw.

Here is the cover of my copy

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
You would be right, Jeff and Monika.  ;D

The Virginian was published in 1902, and I'm rereading a lot of turn-of-the-century literature in a new light, comparing it to our own turn of the century and finding many parallels. For instance, writers were chafing against the tight leash of Victorianism and were questioning society's strictures, including that against a man loving another man. What better place to explore an open perspective than the wide open spaces of Wyoming?

Yet, the Virginian was a Southern gentleman with a strict code of honour. But he was also "Nature's nobleman" imbued with the grace and beauty of any sleek, natural animal in the wild. A pleasing combination!!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:26:36 pm by Tony-Ranger »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
I'm beginning to wish I had obtained a paperback copy of this book to take with me on my ramble that begins this Sunday, instead of a copy of The Devil in the White City. Unfortunately, I really don't have time to hunt for one, now.  :(

Maybe my next ramble.

(Psst. "The Virgin Queen" was Elizabeth I. Queen Victoria had--what?--a dozen children? No virgin was she!)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.