Author Topic: Book Club: Discuss/find out about a Classic Tale Set in Wyoming: The Virginian  (Read 50699 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
From a BrothersJudd review:
There's a very amusing review at Amazon which claims that this is an unacknowledged gay classic.  I don't know that I'd go that far, but I take the reviewer's point that the true love in the book is between the narrator and the Virginian, and that the schoolmarm is mostly annoying

In surfing the online reviews of the book, I find that they are mostly all negative. I don't agree with them, but I see their point. The Virginian can be an impenetrable book for those who are accustomed to Internet chat, etc. It's made for settling in with a nice cuppa coffee and a piece of cherry cake before a snug fireplace.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Tonight when I arrived home from work about 9:30 p.m. I sat down by the fire with a whole stack of books, some new that I just bought today. But after about 10 minutes I found myself reading TV once again!!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Have a great time this weekend, Lee!  See if that hotel has frawgs' laigs.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to this trip!! I'm startin to hallucinate just like the Virginian did when he was recoverin' from that wound in his shoulder (around Chapter 22).

And when we get done, Ennis ain't gonna have to take self-photos up on Brokenback any more!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Here it is--the famous Virginian Restaurant in the Occidental Hotel in historic Buffalo, Wyoming. Unfortunately, the restaurant was closed for most of January. I have no idea why.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
And the Occidental Hotel:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
From page 102, one of my personal favorite passages:

"When he was absent from her, and she could sit in her cabin and look at Grandmother Stark, and read home letters, then in imagination she felt it easy to play the part of guide and superior and indulgent companion. But when he was by her side, that part became a difficult one. Her woman's fortress was shaken by a force unknown to her before. [Other men] did not have it in them to look as this man could look, when the cold lustre of his eyes grew hot with internal fire. What color they were baffled her still. 'Can they possibly change?' she wondered. It seemed to her like sometimes when she had been looking from a rock straight down into clear sea water, this same color had lurked in its depths. 'Is it green or is it grey?' she asked herself, but did not turn just now to see. She kept her face toward the landscape."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I'm ready to delve into Chapter 27 now. Where is everyone else in your reading??

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
I'm in the middle of Chapter 26, progressing slowly.  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
After several chapters devoted to the shenanigans of that trash Trampas, who slunk off one day with the gullible cowboy Shorty, an action-filled chapter occurs. Chapter 27 "Grandmother Stark" opens with the schoolteacher, Molly Wood, packing up to go back home to Bennington, Vermont, giving in to her family and friends' warnings not to associate with wild men like that "rustler" The Virginian. She goes for one last ride on the horse that TV has gentled for her. She comes upon Monte, his horse, all wrung-out, and then upon the man himself, severely wounded. It is quite an ordeal getting him back to her cabin, where she puts him to bed amongst all the packing boxes.

While nursing him back to health, they read Browning together, which is their Pentecost. She reads to him a passage about two lovers:

Round the cape of a sudden came the sea,
And the sun looked over the mountain's rim--
And straight was a path of gold for him,
And the need of a world of men for me.

She doesn't know how to interpret this passage, but he says that the man would return "afteh he had played some more of the game...Life, ma'am. Whatever he was a-doin in the world of men. That's a bed-rock piece ma'am!"