Author Topic: Why It Stays With You And What To Do About It....  (Read 2200 times)

Offline ashleyjb

• Don't Say Much
Why It Stays With You And What To Do About It....
« on: December 11, 2006, 05:47:16 pm »

This was my original IMDB post back in Jan 06.

Why it stays with you and what to do about it.., 23 Jan 2006 - 10/10

Author: ashleyjbear from Paris

One of the most overwhelming aspects of this film, and at the same time its genius, is how its story absorbs you into itself, finally wounds you and leaves you bleeding; yet it is a wounding that is also healing... Rather than fading by the time you get home and back to 'life', instead grief and bittersweet pain visit in waves until, alone, in private moments of the day, tears well-up.

It's at once exhilarating and disturbing to be so deeply affected by a film. When it persists more that a day or two, albeit gently, you begin to wonder just what is happening to you.. Which brings me to my point: Brokeback Mountain is not staggering in its impact on you because of superficial concern for characters, but for how it somehow seduces you into confronting vicariously your own thwarted dreams, missed opportunities, thinly covered disappointments - even shame of your own unhappiness; so too your first loves, your great loves, the memory of love. One is ambushed by one's own phantoms and fondest memories, in potent and distilled form. It's not so much the movie that won't seem to leave us but our own soul's joys, sorrows and hopes, surfaced and in need of the light of day.

So what are we to do? See the film endlessly? It is tempting to believe one more viewing will give me something more.. Probably not the final solution. What we need to do is read the text of our own life now, albeit as dramatically surfaced and illuminated for us by a film. We need now to re-enter the adventure of responsible liberty and walk resolutely and courageously into this storm that has come to visit us. We cannot out-source this profound task to film makers or anyone else, no matter how they may have inspired us. It is for us now to finish the story...

As Proust wrote on the ultimate inability of other's books (or films) to satisfy us in our quest for truth and spiritual life,

"Reading (movie-going) is on the threshold of the spiritual life; it can introduce us to it: it does not constitute it."

Bon courage à tous...

moremojo

Re: Why It Stays With You And What To Do About It....
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 06:25:21 pm »
Hi, ashleyjib! I remember this post from earlier this year on the IMDb (I first got really active on the BBM board there in February, a couple of days after first seeing the film). There is truth in your eloquent words, and this can serve as an excellent introduction to any bewildered BBM fan first encountering our BetterMost site; your position seems so in keeping with founder Phillip's own views.

I continue to strive to make my life better using the lessons gleaned from this powerful story, but I still grieve over two lives which are not my own and can never be, lives that affect me no less powerfully for being fictional. That is still an ongoing challenge for me, but I can honor what those characters represent by what I make of my own life. And BetterMost has been an excellent ongoing resource for this!

Welcome to BetterMost, ashleyjib, and thanks for reproducing this great post from months of yore.

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 09:11:21 pm by moremojo »