Author Topic: "The Sports Guy" from ESPN - The Magazine on Brokeback Mountain  (Read 5885 times)

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: "The Sports Guy" from ESPN - The Magazine on Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 02:18:18 am »

Though it kind of reminds me of that famous "There's no crying in baseball!" line from a Legue of their Own  ::)

Actually, he goes on to mention that film (there's even a photo) as follows: "but the mentality for years and years was stay strong and act like a man, epitomized by Tom Hanks' "There's no crying in baseball!" speech in A League of Their Own."

Arg, I don't know how to do TWO quotes, see my next post to answer . . .
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 02:20:15 am »
Yes, thank you so much for this--but for the semi (or totally) out of it, could you explain what seems to be intended as a positive observation:

"Now, that was a superb movie.  Even gets a little dusty near the end."

Dusty?  Clue in the clueless, I beg!

???
John

Good thinking above, David, but from the context of the article, I took it to be full of emotion for the article's author.  I suggest going out and purchasing the April 10, 2006 issue of ESPN - The Magazine - and no, I don't work for ESPN or the publisher!
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

vkm91941

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 02:38:41 am »
JUST HAD to quote this after I read it.  Bill Simmons, the "Sports Guy" in ESPN - The Magazine wrote in his column about crying in basketball after Adam Morrison wept after losing the playoff game to UCLA several weeks ago.  He starts by "blaming" Clint Eastwood for crying at the end of Million Dollar Baby.  Mr. Simmons then goes on to say the following, which I though would be of great interest to all of you: "After all, if the toughest man in Hollywood could start to bawl on a 50-foot screen in front of millions of movie-goers, anything could happen.  We were headed for some sort of masculine anarchy.  Sure enough, 12 months later, two cowboys are finding forbidden love on Brokeback Mountain.  Now, that was a superb movie.  Even gets a little dusty near the end.  It's a love story about two people who belonged together, only society wouldn't allow it, so they suppressed their feelings and lived a charade . . . and I can't believe I'm writing any of this in a sports column.  Ten years ago, mainstream society wouldn't have been ready for Brokeback.  Now we are.  We've evolved."

I found this AMAZING!  What does everyone else think?

Excellent :D outstanding ::) superb 8) priceless ;D

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 09:36:31 am »
Well, on the big board, someone had posted that the "film critic" for either Sports Illustrated or ESPN said BBM was his favorite movie of the year.   

I think they are trying to break their own sterotypes. I know, SI or ESPN picks the best movie of the year. You'd think they'd pick a sports flick, usually baseball. Must not have been any good ones for 2005. Of course, rodeoing is a form of sports.

I've known a few sportscasters, quite well... ;D