Author Topic: Shocking Nigerian legislation  (Read 1978 times)

moremojo

Shocking Nigerian legislation
« on: December 13, 2006, 11:45:24 am »
I just posted this same information on our 'Safe Haven' board, but wanted to add it here as well, for the benefit of any non-members visiting our site:

I came across this news just yesterday in my university's student newspaper. There is a good possibility that some of the most sweepingly homophobic legislation ever enacted anywhere will soon be the law of the land in the nation of Nigeria. This law seeks to render homosexual citizens of that country completely silent, invisible, and powerless. It is heartbreaking to read.

Here is a direct link to an online article I found which addresses this issue:

http://www.whrnet.org/docs/issue-uhuru-0605.html

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Shocking Nigerian legislation
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 04:37:19 pm »
Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen wie ich kotzen möchte* - Max Liebermann

*I could not eat as much as I would like to vomit.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Shocking Nigerian legislation
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 08:04:46 pm »
Without even reading what is proposed in Nigeria, I have to say I'm not too shocked to hear that "sweepingly homophobic legislation" would be proposed in an African nation.

Why? Because it's the bishops of the various Anglican churches in Africa who have made such a fuss over the consecration of an openly gay man as a bishop in the American church. (They probably aren't too happy that the American church now also has a woman for its primate/presiding bishop.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.