Author Topic: Solstice Songs anyone??  (Read 13901 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Solstice Songs anyone??
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 09:35:43 pm »

Elle, I might just take you up on that offer! It'd be a great chance to talk, too.

Jenny

It's a great song, quick to learn, and catchy tune.  If you call, and I'd love you to, remember I'm on East Coast time for now.  Earlier in the day is better for me. 

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 11:29:10 pm »
Winter Moon Rapture

cleanse my wounds in winter moon desire
this endless quest for sanctuary pure
as formless levithans swim avernian seas
crystal citadels call me in my dreams
desolate epochs, the statues they weep
through eons passing, the guardians still sleep
the towers of silence
a fortress of strength
this wealth of compassion
would ease my descent
my heart greets forests, once sacred, profane
the earth my mistress in pleasure and pain
seeking solace in the glory that was
of hidden shrines to gods now lost
amongst hopes ruins to find my true place
I orphaned of heritage a man of no race
cleanse my wounds in winter moon desire
this endless quest for sanctuary pure
drown nights sorrow, in rapture divine
enchantment delirium, and yet do I seek
winter moon rapture, the ebb of her light
but I cannot see, for the tears in my eyes
winter moon rapture, the ebb of her light

Wow, David. That's beautiful, and sad. It's definitely up my alley these days. Is it a poem or a song? Who wrote it? Where can I hear it if it's a song? I want details. Thank you again, very much.

Yay Elle, I will give you a call tomorrow. I didn't know you were on the east coast! Are you in New York?

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 11:46:28 pm »
Would one of you like to start a book club thread about The Mists of Avalon?

Yes, I would be interested in doing that. Though I can't devote much time to it, I am hungry to talk about all this stuff. By the way, I'm completely agreeing with Jeff's take on the scene described above; and some of the book is also making me re-evaluate where our so-called morals come from in this still-patriarchial culture. In college I remember reading about tribes in various cultures that practiced strict marriage between cousins across family gender lines...hard to explain but basically it was very good if a daughter married her father's sister's son or a son married his mother's brother's daughter. Something like that. All based on controlling the female resources in the tribe, however...

Back to The Mists, it's really opened me up to take a longer view of humanity's existance, which I tended to look at before as if anything more than three or four hundred years ago was practically ancient. But now I feel quite close to these characters from 1500 years ago, though I wouldn't understand a word they said if their real language were used in the book.

It's also made me more curious about Atlantis, which I had only heard vague things about, and now that I've done a little research (it's mentioned in the book a couple of times) I'm enjoying the idea of an advanced civilization existing 12,000 years ago. Who cares if it sounds crazy? What do we know of what happened? We think we know so much with our empirical evidence and scientific methods. I'm open to the idea that we know very little in the big picture. 
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 01:02:49 am »
Here's a solstice song!

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
and I say it's all right

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
and I say it's all right

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
and I say it's all right

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
and I say it's all right
It's all right

It's a what?  Oh, well, the lyrics sounded good though.  ;D

I, too, have read The Mists of Avalon and the Forest House by Zimmer Bradley.  While I enjoyed her feminine pagan POV on things (I adore her Firebrand, the story of the fall of Troy from a woman's POV) her books depress me.

I suppose it's because they're somewhat historical fantasy novels.  Regardless of what powers the women have in both the natural and supernatural worlds, what secrets they share, what freedoms they have, you know they're going to lose it all.  Her characters know it.  Very few of these women of these secret societies are committed to their way of life.  Her novels teem with women who just want to be kept, who are easily swayed into letting men do their thinking for them, women who break their commitments to be with men, men who do not share and do not want a world where women have a place aside from being a 'helpmeet' and a man's property.  You'd think her female characters would appreciate their world more and be willing to fight and die for it.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 06:23:29 pm »
Good one Del!!

I love that song.

Having only read Mists, and not even all of it yet, I can't really debate your points above, ****SPOILER ALERT***

but as for Morgaine and Viviane, they seem like trustworthy keepers of their faith, as much as they can be with the travails and hardships of life (read: Morgaine's leaving Avalon to spite V and then not really being ready or able to return for 18 years). She seems ready to die for it (not that I necessarily take that as the high show of loyalty in all cases). And though Igraine seems to falter and go meekly into the convent  after Uther dies, I love how she goes back to supporting Avalon fully and curses the patriarchial priests as she's on her death bed.

Happy almost Solstice, everyone!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2006, 07:16:40 am »
In Wicca, as part of Yule celebrations, this is traditionally chanted whilst gazing into the cauldron, prior to igniting it. More an incantation than a song, I guess:

I sorrow not, though the world is wrapped in sleep.
I sorrow not, though the icy winds blast.
I sorrow not, though the snow falls hard and deep.
I sorrow not; this too shall soon be past.

Kerry  8)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 07:20:21 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2006, 11:18:35 am »
In Wicca, as part of Yule celebrations, this is traditionally chanted whilst gazing into the cauldron, prior to igniting it. More an incantation than a song, I guess:

I sorrow not, though the world is wrapped in sleep.
I sorrow not, though the icy winds blast.
I sorrow not, though the snow falls hard and deep.
I sorrow not; this too shall soon be past.

I had a low moment last night, with some not-very-rollicking existential angst, something I've learned not to let take over.  This would have hit the spot well, I think.  Thanks Kerry.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2006, 09:59:45 pm »
I had a low moment last night, with some not-very-rollicking existential angst, something I've learned not to let take over.  This would have hit the spot well, I think.  Thanks Kerry.

If there's one thing worse than "existential angst," it's "not-very-rollicking existential angst"   :(

I hope you're feeling better today. Imagine all the wonderful, exciting adventures ahead for us all in 2007!  :laugh:

May you know all blessings  :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 10:32:08 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 11:50:22 am »
If there's one thing worse than "existential angst," it's "not-very-rollicking existential angst"   :(

I hope you're feeling better today. Imagine all the wonderful, exciting adventures ahead for us all in 2007!  :laugh:

May you know all blessings  :)

Thanks Kerry. 

Yes, I'm much better.  It was really probably less than ten minutes of yuck.  And I do have many, many blessings. 

Hope you are having a wonderful summer.  I remember an interview I saw with Heath where he talks about celebrating Christmas in Australia in "a singlet,"  something I had to look up to know it meant tank top here in the US.  :)

Clarissa

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2006, 10:12:48 pm »
Hope you are having a wonderful summer.  I remember an interview I saw with Heath where he talks about celebrating Christmas in Australia in "a singlet,"  something I had to look up to know it meant tank top here in the US.  :)
Hi Clarissa,

Yes, today is indeed a glorious high-summer day here. Perfect "beach weather," as we say. Days don't get much better than  this - crystal clear aquamarine sky, a few fluffy white clouds, glorious sunshine, approx 23C (75F)  ;D

Ideal weather for a picnic or day at the beach. And yes, just right for wearing shorts, a singlet and thongs!  :-\

Don't blush! (LOL)  In Australia, "thongs" are what we call the rubber, flip-flop footwear that's so common here  :laugh:  Everyone from age 1-100 has at least one "pair of thongs."

I believe Heath and Michelle are in Oz at present and are, no doubt, wearing just this kinda "clobber" (apparel!)  :o

I read in the paper that they were attending the wedding of Heath's father in Perth, Heath's home town. From the pics I saw in the media, they donned their "glad-rags" (formal attire!) and didn't wear singlets and thongs to the wedding! Hee-hee! LOL!   ::) 

Kerry 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 10:21:39 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν