Author Topic: James Schamus today spoke about the upcoming DELUXE DVD  (Read 8881 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: James Schamus today spoke about the upcoming DELUXE DVD
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 12:31:06 pm »
Oh, I know. I read that the actors were almost embarrassed shooting the whole thing. That is was that obvious just how bad that scene was.

And it suggests unappealing aspects to the characters -- particularly Ennis, who comes off as kind of rednecky -- that aren't otherwise apparent in the movie.

moremojo

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 06:58:43 pm »
If the hippie scene had made the final cut, I have little doubt it would have been universally seen as the single worst thing about the film.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 07:04:29 pm »
1) Ang is not the world's most articulate person when he's speaking, at least in English, at least in interviews. Sometimes his descriptions of the plot of BBM seem almost ... oversimplified. So it's possible that a commentary would be disappointing because his actual work as a director is much more nuanced than he would describe it, speaking.

You might want to look at the essay he wrote in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Portrait of a Film. He wrote about his personal spiritual beliefs and how they contributed to the movie...about the Tao te Ching, etc. He is more articulate on paper than speaking in English. Probably he was well edited!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 07:47:22 pm »
You might want to look at the essay he wrote in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Portrait of a Film. He wrote about his personal spiritual beliefs and how they contributed to the movie...about the Tao te Ching, etc. He is more articulate on paper than speaking in English. Probably he was well edited!

Well, I'm more articulate on paper than when speaking in English, too, so I can relate!  ;D