Author Topic: The Original Brokeback Prison (HBO's OZ)  (Read 16667 times)

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
The Original Brokeback Prison (HBO's OZ)
« on: April 10, 2006, 02:32:42 pm »
I have to tell you that I was addicted to HBO's "Oz" from the start.  I still have to buy the entire DVD collection.

Normally I would avoid subject matter that have to do with prisons.  However,I was such a fan of Truman Capote (and I still think Philip Seymour Hoffman didn't do him enough justice to win an Oscar over Heath Ledger), and read "In Cold Blood", which totally freaked me out, I developed a repulsion/attraction to the subject.  Hint:  it might have had something to do with gay sex.  Okay, sometimes, male on male rape.  I'm not condoning "prison rape fantasies", but...

The relationship that develops over the seasons between Keller (played by hunk Chris Meloni) and Beecher (Lee Tergesen - Cher's new bf) was really engrossing, sexually charged, frank and honest all the while set amongst a brutal and twisted prison backdrop.

If Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar had been outlaws and thrown into the hoosegow, they would be Keller & Beecher.  Keller is Ennis, who kills anyone who is interested in Beecher.  Beecher, of course, would be Jack, who falls deeply and irrationally in love with Keller.

During the period of time I was frustrated with "Will & Grace" because Will didn't have a bf, and angry with the American version of "Queer As Folk" for being superficial, badly written and completely cliche, there was a lot of satisfaction to be found in every week's episode of "Oz".  I couldn't convince my friends to watch it because of the senseless violence.  But wow, the progression of the relationship between B&K really did it for me.

And amazingly the series ended and their relationship closed with Keller sacrificing and redeeming himself for Beecher to show his unconditional love. 

Neither of them dies BTW.

So, if I were a Gay Roger Ebert, this would be my thumbs up recommendation for "Oz" the Complete DVD set.

***Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the TONS OF FULL FRONTAL MALE NUDITY - including Chris Meloni!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 02:36:04 pm by Flashframe777 »
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
Re: The Original Brokeback Prison (HBO's OZ)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 02:35:58 pm »
Wow - Flash I've never seen Oz - in Canada we get HBO shows randomly and on various channels, so I never knew when it was on.  But I have to confess I didn't even know Chris Meloni was one of the stars!  I LOVE him - damn sexy and funny as hell.  Methinks I have some renting to do...... 
   Cowboys do it better

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 02:38:26 pm »
Wow - Flash I've never seen Oz - in Canada we get HBO shows randomly and on various channels, so I never knew when it was on.  But I have to confess I didn't even know Chris Meloni was one of the stars!  I LOVE him - damn sexy and funny as hell.  Methinks I have some renting to do...... 

Please do yourself a favor...run, do not walk, to the video store to rent "Oz".  Meloni strips full frontal nude in front of Rita Moreno (who plays the Prison nun/psychotherapist).  It's a beautiful vision.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 02:40:58 pm »
LOL!!  The Full Meloni??  You've convinced me - I'm stopping by Blockbuster after work!
   Cowboys do it better

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 02:48:29 pm »
LOL!!  The Full Meloni??  You've convinced me - I'm stopping by Blockbuster after work!

One of my favorite scenes is where Keller (Meloni) has been separated from Beecher (Tergesen) for a long time, and they meet up in a plexiglass enclosed laundry room.  They are the only two in the laundry room, but the guards can see through the plexiglass. 

Keller locks the door so the guard can't get in, grabs Beecher and kisses him passionately.  The guard uses his baton to bang on the plexiglass to get them to stop.  Keller and Beecher ignore the guard and keep going at it.

Of course, in the next scene Keller gets thrown into solitary.  For some reason anytime anyone is thrown into solitary they're stripped naked.  LOL...no wonder I was so addicted...

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 02:53:58 pm »
Keller locks the door so the guard can't get in, grabs Beecher and kisses him passionately.  The guard uses his baton to bang on the plexiglass to get them to stop.  Keller and Beecher ignore the guard and keep going at it.

*fans self...*

Just your description of that scene is hot - can't wait to see the real thing.  Is there more than one season of Oz?  I can't recall how long it was on for.
   Cowboys do it better

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 06:00:47 pm »
There were either 3 or 4 seasons.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 10:59:17 pm »
I have to tell you that I was addicted to HBO's "Oz" from the start.  I still have to buy the entire DVD collection.

Normally I would avoid subject matter that have to do with prisons.  However,I was such a fan of Truman Capote (and I still think Philip Seymour Hoffman didn't do him enough justice to win an Oscar over Heath Ledger), and read "In Cold Blood", which totally freaked me out, I developed a repulsion/attraction to the subject.  Hint:  it might have had something to do with gay sex.  Okay, sometimes, male on male rape.  I'm not condoning "prison rape fantasies", but...

The relationship that develops over the seasons between Keller (played by hunk Chris Meloni) and Beecher (Lee Tergesen - Cher's new bf) was really engrossing, sexually charged, frank and honest all the while set amongst a brutal and twisted prison backdrop.

If Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar had been outlaws and thrown into the hoosegow, they would be Keller & Beecher.  Keller is Ennis, who kills anyone who is interested in Beecher.  Beecher, of course, would be Jack, who falls deeply and irrationally in love with Keller.

During the period of time I was frustrated with "Will & Grace" because Will didn't have a bf, and angry with the American version of "Queer As Folk" for being superficial, badly written and completely cliche, there was a lot of satisfaction to be found in every week's episode of "Oz".  I couldn't convince my friends to watch it because of the senseless violence.  But wow, the progression of the relationship between B&K really did it for me.

And amazingly the series ended and their relationship closed with Keller sacrificing and redeeming himself for Beecher to show his unconditional love. 

Neither of them dies BTW.

So, if I were a Gay Roger Ebert, this would be my thumbs up recommendation for "Oz" the Complete DVD set.

***Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the TONS OF FULL FRONTAL MALE NUDITY - including Chris Meloni!
Wow Flash, you got into my head with this post!  Men in prison is a fascinating topic for me.  A few years back at an old job, we would get letters from guys in prison who needed resources and support, so I found out about all these pen pals sites.  I have a few gay pen pals that I write to, it's been really eye opening experience. 

The violence on Oz was sometimes hard to take, but I loved the relationship between Keller and Beecher.  All the twists and turns and ups and downs, and it is a 'Brokeback' kind of relationship in that it surpassed the situational relationship into a complex and real relationship.

If didn't hurt at all that Lee Tergeson and Chris Meloni are fine, FINE specimens.  I don't know how cool it is to post nude pics here at Bettermost, so the next best thing is to check out some of these pics - of ALL the guys on Oz: http://www.acropolisvideo.com/menofoz/

All I can say is, woof!

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 11:15:15 pm »
Juan, I'm glad to have a partner in crime.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 11:27:50 pm »
.....and Beecher (Lee Tergesen - Cher's new bf).....

What the hell does he see in her?   :laugh: