Author Topic: Gay Outlaws Andrew & James - A True Love Story  (Read 86478 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Gay Outlaws Andrew & James - A True Love Story
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 07:41:52 am »
Here is the thread about that story...

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,11966.0.html

Thanks for the link, Mel. Is Neuontz friendlocked, or can I just go straight on in and read away?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 08:46:44 am »
Thanks for the link, Mel. Is Neuontz friendlocked, or can I just go straight on in and read away?

It's friendslocked unfortunately, but if you have an lj account, then you can ask her to friend you, she will definitely do that. :)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 11:55:12 am »
Wow, great thread!

Years later Andrew was charged. He was found with the gold in his possession. He pleaded that he was not guilty. He paid a terrible price for it. He was sent to Pentridge Prison in Melbourne. 

How much gold was found, there and then?

What a wonderful movie, this would make!

Any of you think so?

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 08:17:35 pm »
Any more news?

About them?

Or maybe about someone who want to make a movie too?

Hugs!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 07:30:53 am »
very cool story Kerry!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 06:46:17 pm »
very cool story Kerry!

It's a great story, indeed, Kelda. I returned to Sydney last night (Sunday night) after a week away, in pursuit of gay bushrangers (outlaws), Andrew Scott (Captain Moonlite) and James Nesbitt, and will be heading off again in a couple of hours (it is presently Monday morning here in Sydney) for another week away, staying with friends on Sydney's Northern Beaches, assisting them with some house painting (I'd prefer to be painting a canvas!). I will write a full report about my sojourn, last week, into the depth of the Australian  countryside, when I return from the Northern Beaches.  I discovered some new facts associated with James and Andrew's legend last week, which are quite fascinating and very revealing about them as gay men living outside the law in Victorian-era (late 1800's) Australia. Will be posting pics too!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 04:01:57 am »
looking forward to it!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 05:22:44 am »
I took a motoring vacation last week with two friends, touring through the beautiful Riverina region of south-western New South Wales.

Intrepid investigator, Kerry, hot on the heels of Captain Moonlite
(Yes, they are sheep in the background!)

We were in hot pursuit of the legendary gay bushranger (outlaw), Andrew George Scott, infamously known for ever more as Captain Moonlite.

Andrew George Scott, alias Captain Moonlite

Central to the cult of Captain Moonlite is the pretty little Riverina town of Gundagai (pron. GUN-duh-geye – rhymes with pie), set in a valley at the foot of Mount Parnassus, on the banks of the mighty Murrumbidgee (pron. muh-rum-BIDGE-ee) River.

Gundagai

We visited the rustic, local museum at Gundagai, where many interesting items can be viewed, such as Captain Moonlite’s handcuffs, leg irons, charge sheet, speeches and much more. The museum provided me with the following interesting account (this and the following 5 posts) of the life and times of Captain Moonlite. The accompanying images were either photographed by me or located on the Internet. Rather than posting one huge post, I have chosen to post six smaller sized posts, to allow for easy viewing by those with dial-up.

Continued . . . . .

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:58:55 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 05:24:15 am »
Andrew George Scott, better known in Australian history as the bushranger Captain Moonlite, was a man far removed from the traditional image of a bushranger.

Educated and articulate, Scott was a poet and a preacher, an excellent horseman, a civil engineer, skilled with and knowledgeable about firearms, a gifted public speaker, gentlemanly mannered, a soldier, a sailor, a prison reformer, an adventurer and a rebel. He was staunch to his comrades and, by all accounts, possessed of a magnetic personality.

On January 20, 1880, just before he faced the hangman’s noose at Sydney’s Darlinghurst Gaol, Andrew Scott wrote, “I want to rest in the grave of my friend, James Nesbitt. Gratify my last wish if you can. I have one hour to live.”

James Nesbitt

It took 115 years to grant his last wish, but on January 13, 1995, the remains of Captain Moonlite were finally laid to rest in the Anglican section of Gundagai cemetery, within feet of his friends James Nesbitt and Augustus Wernicke.

Close by is the grave of Constable Edward Mostyn Webb-Bowen, who (along with Nesbitt and Wernicke) was tragically shot in the bushranging siege at Wantabadgery (pron. want-uh-BADGE-uh-ree), near Gundagai. Scott called him “Brave Bowen”.

Continued . . . . .

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 08:06:47 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 05:25:43 am »
The year was 1879. Scott had received an early prison release for good behaviour after serving time for bank robbery in Melbourne’s Pentridge Prison, where he had met James Nesbitt. Even hours before his death, he still protested his innocence of the bank robbery. He had been forced by the authorities of Victoria to abort his controversial public lecture on prison reform which was to have provided his income. His lectures stated, “Pentridge Prison is a university of crime where tyranny and injustice are practiced at this country’s cost and to its shame.”

Having no money, Scott walked out of Victoria into New South Wales with his friends, James Nesbitt, Augustus Wernicke, Thomas Rogan, Thomas Williams and Graham Bennett. Unemployment was high. Along with hundreds of other men, Scott and his friends tramped the track from homestead to homestead, staying alive as best they could.

At Wantabadgery homestead, after twice being refused work, food and shelter, despite three days of unusually heavy rain, they drew their weapons and so began the bushranging siege which would go down in Riverina history.

This was the first known, and admitted, attempt at bushranging (banditry) by these three novice bushrangers, only two of whom could ride. Over a period of three days, 35 people were taken hostage. The women were treated with respect. All hostages were released unharmed before the final shoot-out between nine policemen backed by twelve armed volunteers and five of the bushrangers.

At its conclusion, Nesbitt and Wernicke were dead and Constable Bowen shot, later to die. James Nesbitt died in Andrew Scott’s arms.

The Wantabadgery Siege

Continued . . . . .

γνῶθι σεαυτόν