Author Topic: Celebrating the Winter Solstice  (Read 298868 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
First Card in the Winter Solstice Tarot Reading: Page of Cups
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2008, 06:19:44 pm »
I'm glad you like it, Janice! It took some work to get that picture ready for the banner. I had to lighten it up about 200%! I hope it looks all right.

The sun's starting to go down on this, the shortest day of the year, so I'm beginning a Tarot Reading for BetterMost. First I shuffled the cards while trying to keep my mind clear (which was a challenge!). Now I have placed them in four piles, working from left to right with my left hand.

The first card in the top center spot is the Page of Cups. This card indicates the main issue that all the other cards will address. It may refer to a situation that is causing concern, a problem we are trying to resolve, an area that needs improvement or will soon bring great joy.

This card means: Don't get upset if things aren't going as you hoped. Be open to alternatives and prepare for a change of plans. Think before reacting, beware of childish behavior. 

Here is what I and others have written about this card before:

As long as you look for security from without, you will feel adrift. But when you are sure of your inner desires, you will find strength and inspiration. As soon as you are clear about your inner feelings, you will have a base on which to safely build. Strangely enuff, it is your desire that gives you a sense of security, even though your might be in a vast ocean without even a view of the shore. This desire is different from ordinary feelings because of the heightened sense of obligation and awe, intense longing and passion. Have the courage to find your true desire and express it.

Ennis and Jack expressed their true feelings and desire when they reunited over the laundromat in Riverton. For once, they were sure about their feelings. They'd had four long years to think about it.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Second Card in the Winter Solstice Tarot Reading: Chariot (rev)
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2008, 06:22:20 pm »
The second card is the Chariot, reversed.

This card is in the spot that addresses past events, situations, and relationships.

Here is what oilgun wrote about the Chariot:

The Chariot = Pickup Truck

Success, victory through hard work; the well-balanced life.  Triumph over ill health, money difficulties, or enemies of any sort.  Aresposible nature, An ability to resist temptation.  Travel in comfort.

When reversed, this card means: People are more defensive now. Don't give in to intimidation or pressure. No one wants to waste time. Expect last-minute cancellations of plans.

Here is The Chariot from our special Brokeback Tarot Deck!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
THird Card in the Winter Solstice Tarot Reading: VI of Disks (rev)
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2008, 06:24:34 pm »
The third card is the VI of Pentacles, reversed.

This is in the place representing food for thought or things to ponder on.

This card in the reversed position means: Don't let your insecurities push you into being a workaholic. Choose well defined objectives that will bring growth. SLow down.

Pentacles are sometimes called Disks. This is what was written earlier about the VI of Disks:

VI of Disks: "Realised Needs." Satisfy other people's needs thru the use of your talents.

And here is what was written about the suit of Disks in general:

As oilgun said, these cards address practical matters as befitting the earth, the physical body, and finances. Disks is often represented by mirrors, so everything here is pointing to Ennis. Disks refer to the constant interplay between what we accomplish and that which defines us. Sometimes what looks like a simple rock becomes hidden gold.

Interestingly, the card in my deck depicts a loaf of bread and a beanstalk curled around it. Instead of beans on the stalk, there are shiny gold coins.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Fourth Card in the Winter Solstice Tarot Reading: VII of Wands (rev)
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2008, 06:25:55 pm »
The last card is the VII of Wands, reversed.

This card suggests answers or courses of action.

This card in the reversed position means: Don't be indecisive. Say what you feel and move on. Situations are nowhere near resolution, so be patient.

This was written earlier about this card:

VII of Wands: Hard Work. Sharpen your energies. Get to know what you want to achieve. Get in touch with it. Take it in your hands. You must understand what you want to change. Any attempt at manipulation becomes superfluous or even a hindrance.
When you actively work with your will, you will gain advantage. Be open to growth and change. The way things are evolving gives you new power to stand up for those things that are closest to your heart. Make a new beginning.

Here's what Tarot Basics says about Wands:

Wands represent fire. Their key element is willpower...flames are constantly in motion when wood burns, and when you are in motion, you show the "fire" within you. Wands symbolize germination and growth because they are fuel, potential energy, and nourishment for the fire. Other associations include wood, the phallic symbol, children, roots or ancestors, vitality, fireworks, hellfire, male inheritance, the sun, and "knock on wood."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
The Winter Solstice Tarot Reading for BetterMost
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2008, 07:09:53 pm »
I have completed the Winter Solstice Reading for BetterMost in the four posts below, and I invite your comments and interpretations!!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Celebrating the Winter Solstice
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2008, 08:52:29 pm »
Here are a couple of lovely Winter Solstice images I found whilst browsing tonight...

Can be downloaded here:  http://www.divshare.com/download/6148770-233

And the download is here:  http://www.divshare.com/download/6148768-c20
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2008, 10:14:09 pm »
Here are a couple of lovely Winter Solstice images I found whilst browsing tonight...

Can be downloaded here:  http://www.divshare.com/download/6148770-233

And the download is here:  http://www.divshare.com/download/6148768-c20

Incredibly beautiful! Thank you, friend!! ((((Lynne))))

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2008, 04:31:39 am »
I'm note one for Tarot or spiritual celebrating of solstice. But I'm damn glad the days will start to get longer again from tomorrow on :D.

I hear ya, Bud!  That's it for me, too.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2008, 06:01:59 pm »
Today's light is longer than yesterday's light!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2008, 12:00:56 am »
Today's light is longer than yesterday's light!

Today's light in Minneapolis was three seconds longer than yesterday's. Tomorrow, we gain eight seconds.