Author Topic: Celebrating the Winter Solstice  (Read 298752 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Celebrating the Winter Solstice
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2010, 10:28:34 am »
How will you celebrate? I'm revving up by reading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. It's a funny tale about his hike up the Appaliachian Trail.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2010, 03:20:16 pm »
Don't know what I"m going to do this year.  Will wear my traditional yellow of course, and am hoping for clear weather to see the lunar eclipse.  I'll burn candles, incense, the whole 9 yards as usual, but don't know what else.  I have a nice bottle of Glogg, a nice red wine a friend brought me from Napa Valley and some pumpkin ale left over from Halloween.

Goodness!  I just remembered that I now own a house and have a yard and an outdoor fireplace bowl.  I could light a fire and wait for the eclipse and drink warm alcoholic drinks if I wanted and bring in the Solstice.

Hmmm...

Offline lumberjack1963

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2010, 06:54:21 pm »
There is a ceremony at a local forest preserve (Severson Dells in Rockford Illinois).  Kinda Christian, kinda pagan, and very mystical.  Its gonna be the full moon too. Cant wait.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2010, 07:00:55 pm »
How will you celebrate? I'm revving up by reading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. It's a funny tale about his hike up the Appaliachian Trail.

That's a wonderful book, Lee.  I need to revisit it.   :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2010, 12:19:05 am »
And there will be a lunar eclipse in North America with said full moon.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2010, 12:57:45 am »
There is a ceremony at a local forest preserve (Severson Dells in Rockford Illinois).  Kinda Christian, kinda pagan, and very mystical.  Its gonna be the full moon too. Cant wait.

Welcome to BetterMost, lumberjack!   Glad to have you here. 8)

Here's a thread where you can introduce yourself, if you'd like:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,31.0.html
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2010, 02:54:53 pm »
No lunar eclipse here. We might be able to see just the very beginning of it, but the real eclipse will take place after the moon will have gone down in Europe.

No celebration either. But I will let out a content sigh of relief. I'm always happy when the winter solctice is behind us and the days get longer again. 8)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2010, 02:57:57 pm »
I did something new this evening.

Technically it was after sunset when I got home from work this evening, but there was still some light in the sky. I decided to light a bayberry candle in honor of the solstice, and let it burn down. This is something my family does on Christmas Eve. I don't know why I felt compelled to light this candle this evening, but I did feel compelled, so I did it.

The candle is in a pewter candleholder, and the candleholder is sitting on a pewter plate to catch any drips.

I forgot I did this last year. I'm glad I found my own post and reminded myself. I think I'll do this again tomorrow evening. I think I've still got a bayberry candle stored in the refrigerator.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2010, 02:58:36 pm »
I forgot I did this last year. I'm glad I found my own post and reminded myself. I think I'll do this again tomorrow evening. I think I've still got a bayberry candle stored in the refrigerator.

No bayberry, so this year I'll be using genuine beeswax. I'm afraid it will be well after dark this evening before I can light the candle. I have an appointment to get my hair cut after work today.  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2010, 03:45:36 pm »
Well, I saw some of the eclipse.  I took a picture, but it looks like a misshapen dot.  :(

Then when it went to full eclipse, it got hidden behind clouds.  >:(

Oh, well, at least I was there for some of it.  And today's going to be 80 degrees F.  A fine harbinger of the sweltering spring and summer to come.  :-\  :P