Author Topic: Celebrating the Winter Solstice  (Read 298774 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Celebrating the Winter Solstice
« Reply #150 on: December 26, 2014, 11:44:14 am »
I'd have to agree, that would drive me nuts!

We'll have to schedule our visit around the equinoxes.  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #151 on: December 26, 2014, 12:01:26 pm »
One of the big things you learn when you travel is that people have the innate ability to adjust to many different situations. In 2010, I spent the summer solstice in Scotland and oftentimes woke up at about 3:30 am when the sun came up. Remembering back, I didn't go to bed earlier, either, but I slept harder or more efficiently than usual, so I wasn't tired! Which was a good thing because I wanted to spend as much time seeing Scotland as possible!

I'd be interested in hearing how people made adjustments to their daily routines during their travels.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #152 on: December 27, 2014, 05:21:18 pm »
This is why I like to buy a local almanac every year. It shows the time of sunrise and sunset for every day in the year, so I can track the increasing length of sunlight hours.  :)

My morning paper used to do that, but not any more. I've fallen out of the habit to check the time every day because of that.

In mid January the days are getting visibly longer here, esp noticable in the afternoon.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2014, 05:21:55 pm »
I can do that on my phone too.

That's a good idea.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #154 on: December 27, 2014, 05:30:47 pm »
Well, it makes me feel less envious of Scandinavians, though in almost every other way it does seem like it would be a great place to live.

I was talking to a coworker who lived in Iceland for a year. In the middle of winter, daylight was the sun rolling along the horizon for a few hours. In the summer, they'd come out of the bars at 2 a.m. to bright shining sun. I don't think I would like either one.

Many years ago I spent a vacation hiking with a friend, way the hell up in northern Sweden, well above the polar circle.

It never got even remotely dark, on the contrary it was bright daylight around the clock.

I had expected it to be hard to fall asleep, but it wasn't. (I was 18, at that age people usually don't have any problems sleeping  ::))

The really strange feeling came on the train back to southern Sweden, when it suddenly got dark again!

We hadn't had any darkness for 2 weeks, and all of a sudden it was totally dark outside the train windows! That was the strangest feeling!  :D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2014, 10:11:40 pm »
I had expected it to be hard to fall asleep, but it wasn't. (I was 18, at that age people usually don't have any problems sleeping  ::))

The really strange feeling came on the train back to southern Sweden, when it suddenly got dark again!

We hadn't had any darkness for 2 weeks, and all of a sudden it was totally dark outside the train windows! That was the strangest feeling!  :D

That is really interesting -- thanks for sharing that! That's why I love interacting with Brokies from such a diversity of backgrounds.

Northern Minnesota is one of the most northernmost points in the United States. At the summer solstice, it's probably light out until about 10 p.m. That is my favorite length of day. In general, I like days more the closer they are to that peak, but the idea of going much beyond that -- having the sun shine until midnight or beyond -- isn't very appealing.

So much of it is what you're used to, though!  :D

Many people would not be able to fathom living in Minnesota because of the cold. I hate it myself, but I know it is survivable.  :-\

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2014, 09:23:20 am »
You're right. I don't particularly like the weather we have here most of the time, but I'm used to it and know how to deal with it.

And this is where my home is, an important factor.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2014, 05:50:54 pm »
I just watched the sun sink below the horizon. That was fun!  :D

(Because the weather is clear today, it's still light.)

Around here, sunset today is a whole five minutes later than it was on Christmas Day.

Of course, the almanac also lists this morning's sunrise as two minutes later than sunrise on Christmas morning.  ???

At least that gives us a net gain of three minutes of daylight, doesn't it?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2015, 01:59:04 pm »
I have noticed that it's lighter longer, even if just a few minutes.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2015, 11:01:20 am »
You can't notice any real difference here yet, but in one or two weeks it'll be clearly noticable!