Author Topic: Celebrating the Winter Solstice  (Read 298728 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Celebrating the Winter Solstice
« Reply #180 on: March 04, 2015, 01:19:07 pm »
We Germans might even be more unwilling to move than our European neighbors, not sure. But here you build a house once in a lifetime (if you can afford it) and then you live in it for the rest of your life. Even people who pay rent rarely move to across the country. Most people stay put after they finished their education.

That's because all the Germans with the genes for moving came to Pennsylvania 250 years ago. The Germans with the "stay put" genes all stayed behind in Germany, so now you're all descended from the "stay put" Germans.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #181 on: March 05, 2015, 10:56:54 am »
 :laugh: Jeff.

By the way, folks, the last full moon of winter, the "Worm Moon" is happening NOW! Go out and look at it, and its light shimmering on the snow. Arrivederci, winter!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2015, 01:29:34 am »
That's because all the Germans with the genes for moving came to Pennsylvania 250 years ago. The Germans with the "stay put" genes all stayed behind in Germany, so now you're all descended from the "stay put" Germans.  ;)

That must be it. ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #183 on: August 07, 2015, 12:10:50 pm »
Hmm. It seems without any Neopagans or Wiccans hanging around here anymore to remind us, we've missed Lughnasa.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2015, 12:12:25 pm »
Last weekend I was somewhere and there was a fair going. I thought about it being Lunasa, or however it is spelt, and I thought about jumping the fire, but decided I was too old. I might hurt myself.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2015, 09:55:25 am »
You?  Too old?  far from it, friend!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2015, 11:19:54 am »
Oh, it would be fun to celebrate Lughnasa! When does it occur? I can put it on the calendar.

I have two relevant things to say about it. Yesterday I was photographing some mead for a client who has a meadery. If I had known it was Lughnasa, I would have opened the bottle after I was done photographing it!

Also, I am reading a wonderful book, Celtic Myths and Legends by T. W. Rolleston. The book is a collector's edition published by Easton Press in 1997, bound in gilded leather with gilded edge archival paper, and with a brocade silk attached bookmark ribbon and brocade inner covers. The frontispiece is on glossy paper depicting Brigit. There isn't anything about Lughnasa in the book but a lot about Lugh.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2015, 11:39:52 am »
Oh, it would be fun to celebrate Lughnasa! When does it occur? I can put it on the calendar.

Lughnasa is August 1, more or less. The Early Church Christianized it as Lammas, or "Loaf Mass." Both were harvest thanksgivings.

So we've missed it for this year.  :(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2015, 11:47:33 am »
I have two relevant things to say about it. Yesterday I was photographing some mead for a client who has a meadery. If I had known it was Lughnasa, I would have opened the bottle after I was done photographing it!

You should try some of it some day--and report back!  ;D

I've had some home-brewed meads that were spectacularly awful, like trying to drink a jar of honey.  :P  I also, once, had some wonderful mead from a winery somewhere in the Midwest; it was very light.  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2015, 12:04:07 pm »
The Meadery I'm working for has been in operation since 1995 so they must be doing something right. They make a semi-sweet mead and a sweet mead, as well as about a dozen mead blends. It's called Meadery of the Rockies.

Here's a photo of the book: