Author Topic: Celebrating the Winter Solstice  (Read 298727 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Celebrating the Winter Solstice
« Reply #240 on: December 20, 2018, 11:20:50 am »

So maybe we could come up with some similar custom(s) for Longerdays! After all, we pretty much invented the holiday.

So what should the food be? Most holidays are associated with particular kinds of food: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Passover, New Year's Eve and Day, Valentine's Day, Easter, Memorial July 4 and Labor Day (the last three pretty much the same).

Whatever it is, please don't let it be shrimp. R. and I went to a Korean BBQ restaurant and had shrimp yesterday. It was good, but let's just say that was not the last time I saw that shrimp!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #241 on: December 20, 2018, 12:44:03 pm »
Whatever it is, please don't let it be shrimp. R. and I went to a Korean BBQ restaurant and had shrimp yesterday. It was good, but let's just say that was not the last time I saw that shrimp!!

:P  Sorry to hear that, FRiend.

Aside from the fact that I don't like seafood, that's one reason why I stick with chicken in an establishment like that.

I noticed some time ago that any Asian cuisine I've been exposed to has at least one dish that basically comes down to chicken and rice. My experience is that's usually a safe bet.

The chicken and rice I had at the Korean restaurant Monday evening tasted good and did not come back for a visit.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #242 on: December 20, 2018, 04:30:40 pm »
I ordered the chicken; R. ordered the shrimp.I just had 2 or 3 of those.

Since I last posted, I found out R. is well today, but my son-in-law is sick like me. So I guess it's time to blame it on a flu bug that is going around.  :'(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #243 on: December 20, 2018, 06:25:40 pm »

Since I last posted, I found out R. is well today, but my son-in-law is sick like me. So I guess it's time to blame it on a flu bug that is going around.  :'(

Well, I guess he won't be sick for Christmas, will he?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #244 on: December 21, 2018, 11:31:48 am »

But I bet you still won't be in the mood for shrimp for a while, right? I've often seen or had the experience of getting the flu and then feeling disgusted by whatever food I ate right beforehand. Evolutionary protection, I assume. Even if the shrimp (or unfamiliar berry or plant in Pleistocene days) wasn't what made you sick, that reflex keeps you from eating more in case it was.

It's similar to why a lot of children hate vegetables, I think. Children who stray off on their own could easily eat an unfamiliar plant or berry if no adult was around to warn them it was poison. So better not to like eating them at all.

Aside from the fact that I don't like seafood, that's one reason why I stick with chicken in an establishment like that.

I noticed some time ago that any Asian cuisine I've been exposed to has at least one dish that basically comes down to chicken and rice. My experience is that's usually a safe bet.

The chicken and rice I had at the Korean restaurant Monday evening tasted good and did not come back for a visit.

In most Asian restaurants, my goal is to get as many vegetables into the meal as possible, adorned with an appropriate protein and a somewhat spicy sauce.

That's my approach in a lot of restaurants, for that matter.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #245 on: December 21, 2018, 01:04:50 pm »
Yes, you are right about that. Feeling much better today and getting into the Solstice and holiday spirit!!

Lots happening in the sky tonight! I'm going to go out and see whatever I can see!!

https://qz.com/1501492/the-full-cold-moon-and-ursids-meteor-shower-2018-a-guide-to-stargazing-during-the-winter-solstice/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2018, 09:43:09 pm »
something primative.....hmmm.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #247 on: December 23, 2018, 12:53:04 pm »
A little late, but...

Happy Longerdays, BetterMost!
 :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #248 on: December 23, 2018, 02:58:35 pm »
Happy Longerdays to you and your family!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #249 on: December 24, 2018, 12:21:39 pm »

H A P P Y  L O N G E R D A Y S

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 12:32:01 pm by serious crayons »