Author Topic: Levity: The 2 Stages of Grief & Acceptance for Uncomfortable Hetero Guys  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
The Two Stages of Brokeback Grief & Acceptance for Uncomfortable Straight Men

1. Denial (at least in public)

Brokeback Mountain?  I never heard of it.  Oh wait, is that the gay cowboy movie?  "I sure hope my wife/girlfriend doesn't drag me to go see that.  I'd rather go see Meryl Streep in something."  Then realize you just uttered the name "Meryl Streep" in front of your buddies.  Now you've done it.  If dragged kicking and screaming to the film, don't ask, don't tell applies:  "I was in the bathroom during the sex scenes."  "No, we didn't see it."  "I don't see why this is such a good film."

2. Change the Subject

"I liked Jake in The Day After Tomorrow." Hope that the Oscars will hurry up and get here and that some other movie will come out so everyone who is talking about Brokeback can talk about that instead.  Where is The Rock when we need him to make another movie.  What was Ang Lee thinking, The Hulk was a national treasure, and now this?
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Drew Kerrigan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • Freshly DREWed!
Re: Levity: The 2 Stages of Grief & Acceptance for Uncomfortable Hetero Guys
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 03:39:52 am »
Ha! This is so true... I have a male buddy who said "Yuck!" the moment the storekeeper was already handing me a DVD of the film. I also have an officemate whose husband refuses to watch the film because of the "gay twist". Generally speaking, my country is a lot more accepting of the LGBT community compared to other similarly traditional societies here in South East Asia. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of people who remains prejudicial. I honestly pity them for their shaded beliefs. They are definitely missing out on a lot of things... Tsk-tsk. ::)
"In religion. I believe in God, in science, in Sunday supper. I don't believe in rules that tell me how I should live."
- Gil Grissom of CSI: Las Vegas

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 04:50:05 am »
WOW Drew...<stunned look> .you mean the DVD is already out.....there?   I didn't think it was released anywhere...yet!!  Yikes....what am I missing? 

"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Drew Kerrigan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • Freshly DREWed!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 05:06:51 am »
WOW Drew...<stunned look> .you mean the DVD is already out.....there?

Oops, I left out this single detail when I posted that comment. It's PIRATED c/o our Chinese neighbors. You know the Chinese, they pioneer in the art of "piratechnology". It has multi-language captions, dolby surround and even trailers of upcoming films. I bought it for P70 or $1.35 only. Sorry, you do know that pirated optical media sell like cheap hotcakes all over Asia right? They even have them in legitimate malls a month before its regular release in cinemas! I've seen the movie when it came out last week and there is absolutely no difference in video and audio quality. I promise to buy the original DVD too just to pay homage to this movie and honor everyone who made it possible.
"In religion. I believe in God, in science, in Sunday supper. I don't believe in rules that tell me how I should live."

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 04:13:21 pm »
Awwwwwwwww DREW.....how about buying a load of the DVD's and sending them to us!!!!!  <LOL....just a thought>  I'll send MY $1.35....PRONTO!!!  Just kidding though....but I'm DROOOOLING <as we all are> to buy the movie.  I'm going broke paying the movie house prices$$$$$   I've heard the release date is 4/4.....that's HEATH's birthday....BTW!!  I cant WAIT!!!!!!   

Nancy
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 09:26:55 pm »
Sorry, you do know that pirated optical media sell like cheap hotcakes all over Asia right? They even have them in legitimate malls a month before its regular release in cinemas! I've seen the movie when it came out last week and there is absolutely no difference in video and audio quality. I promise to buy the original DVD too just to pay homage to this movie and honor everyone who made it possible.

The movie is also all over the newsgroups and peer to peer networks.  Apparently someone swiped an Oscar screener because periodically during the movie, there is supposed to be a crawling warning that the movie was intended for awards review only.

When the DVD does come out, I certainly hope it has director's commentary, deleted scenes, and a host of other features instead of just releasing the movie with one trailer and some boring text pages to scroll through.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Drew Kerrigan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • Freshly DREWed!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 02:47:06 am »
... The one I have doesn't have that message coming out in any part of the movie. The 'pirates' may have used some kind of technology to wipe that built-in feature out. :o Like I said, I promise to buy the original one once it comes out because, looking through the advertisements in cable television, there really are some scenes that were not shown in the DVD nor in the cinema when it was shown in regular theatres last week. Anyway, once I have a copy too and my college buddies (male and female) have this monthly DVD marathon going on, I'm definitely gonna be pushing for the film to be shown "in all its glory" to the group head on 8) - no matter how hesitant the others may seem. As long as I provide the DVD player for the next session - I'm in control of what's gonna be shown! >:( Most of my friends are very understanding and deep anyway so they'll probably gonna thank me for letting them experience the Brokeback Magic. Let's see who's gonna utter the first reaction after the ending credits coz I'm sure, everyone is gonna stay glued to the screen with teary eyes and aching hearts... :'(

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 05:21:18 am »
Ok DREW....I'm still waiting anxiously by my mailbox for my copy!!!   ;)  And btw....good for you that you're showing 'our' movie to your friends.  I'm anxious to hear what their reactions are. .  Please keep us posted!!  Hopefully you'll have a box of tissues handy...!! 

Nancy  <BBM Grandma>

Offline Drew Kerrigan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • Freshly DREWed!
Ok DREW....I'm still waiting anxiously by my mailbox for my copy!!!   ;)  And btw....good for you that you're showing 'our' movie to your friends.  I'm anxious to hear what their reactions are. .  Please keep us posted!!  Hopefully you'll have a box of tissues handy...!! 

You got that right. ~Hehe~ ;D I promise to keep you guys and gals posted on whatever my peers have to say for my initiatives. As for the DVD on tyour mailbox, oh my... ??? Let's just wait for the original to come out of production coz I'm sure, even if it's a bit expensive, it's worth EVERYTHING!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Like the kid who stubbed his toe in the dark, I'm too tired to laugh, and too tired to cry...no, that ain't it...it's something like that. You just cross Abraham Lincoln with Adlai Stevenson, and it'll come out right,

Give 'em hell...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters