Author Topic: Why does Ennis....  (Read 16626 times)

mvansand76

Why does Ennis....
« on: December 18, 2006, 05:11:26 pm »
....walk in the middle of the road after he and Jack have said goodbye in Signal? There's a perfectly good sidewalk where he would not have risked being run over by Jack in his GMC.... Of course we would not have had that gorgeous scene of Jack looking longingly in his rearview mirror...

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Why does Ennis....
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 07:10:58 pm »
A couple of reasons, why ennis walked in the middle of the road.....

1.....it was obviously a town with not too much vehicular traffic.

2.....He was feeling despondent, and really was in no mood to think of where he was walking.

3.....If he had got hit by a car, he wouldnt have cared, it would have put him out of the misery he was feeling.

4.....(and this is the real reason, I think)....by walking in the middle of the road, he knew Jack would be able to see him in his rear view mirror, and maybe he was hoping, that if he stayed in Jack's view, there was always a chance that Jack might turn around and come and get him. (OMG, I wish that is what happened)
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 07:39:40 pm »
Good answers, Katie. I would add:

5.....There were no sidewalks in Signal

6.....If you walk down the side of the road, you might raise suspicions from the property owners

7.....There were so many junked pickups parked on the road, the middle was the only place to walk

8.....You could get bit by dogs if you got too close to the side of the road

Now, why did Ennis just stare into the fire when Jack said, "Sometimes I miss you so much, I can hardly stand it" ??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 08:11:42 pm »
Now, why did Ennis just stare into the fire when Jack said, "Sometimes I miss you so much, I can hardly stand it"??

I can think of two possibilities:

Because he misheard Jack, thought he said, "Sometimes you piss me off so much, I can hardly stand you" and his feelings were hurt.

-- OR --

Because Ennis could hardly stand it, either, and was busy figuring out the best way to say so to Jack. "Maybe tomorrow, as we're getting ready to leave, I'll collapse in a sobbing heap and clutch onto his parka," Ennis thought.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 08:59:12 pm »
Love the first one! LOL   But yeah - that baffles me too - another missed opportunity between Jack and Ennis - especially for Ennis to reciprocate Jack's raw sentiment. Maybe he just did not know what to say to that (although I believe he felt it).

I can think of two possibilities:

Because he misheard Jack, thought he said, "Sometimes you piss me off so much, I can hardly stand you" and his feelings were hurt.

-- OR --

Because Ennis could hardly stand it, either, and was busy figuring out the best way to say so to Jack. "Maybe tomorrow, as we're getting ready to leave, I'll collapse in a sobbing heap and clutch onto his parka," Ennis thought.

Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 10:05:00 pm »
...say "he's from Texas" when Alma wants him to invite Jack in for coffee??

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 05:19:23 am »
...say "he's from Texas" when Alma wants him to invite Jack in for coffee??

Obviously, that was the first thing that came into Ennis's head......the real reason is obvious....he was in such a hurry to get Jack into bed, he didnt want to waste time having bloody coffee with Alma...........
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 06:00:32 am »
Good answers, Katie. I would add:

5.....There were no sidewalks in Signal

Aaaaah but there are!  :D  You can see the sidewalk in the scene where Ennis walks away...the guy who 'almost helps' him when he is retching in the alley walks on it!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 10:23:15 am »
....walk in the middle of the road after he and Jack have said goodbye in Signal? There's a perfectly good sidewalk where he would not have risked being run over by Jack in his GMC.... Of course we would not have had that gorgeous scene of Jack looking longingly in his rearview mirror...

Well, sure. He needed to be in the range of the view of Jack's rearview mirror so that he would be in camera range. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline angry little lawyer

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 03:45:50 am »
LOL. "He's from Texas" still makes he laugh so hard....And he says it with such conviction...like that's the logical answer of why a person would not want to go inside for coffee...I loved Alma's quick reaction to that "Texans don't drink coffee?" Cuz I would have been "Yeahbuhwhat?" ;D :laugh:

Why is the Twist's color scheme for their house white on white? Has John Twist not heard of this newfangled invention called color?
If I take that aspirin....then I took it
-The Wisdom of 12 oz. Mouse