Author Topic: Why does Ennis....  (Read 16592 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: Why does Ennis....
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2006, 06:57:34 am »
Why is the Twist's color scheme for their house white on white? Has John Twist not heard of this newfangled invention called color?

I can think of four reasons, three legit and one, well....

1) Symbolism borrowed from Ang Lee's Asian culture - white is a funeral color;

2) For an otherworldly feel to the scene;

3) The circumstance of this being an abandoned house and BBM having been shot on a low budget - slapping on some white paint would be a quick and cheap way of making the house look dilapidated but lived in; and

4) Mrs. Twist was psychic when it came to silly-ass decorating fashions. In this case, she had a precognitive dream of those thousands and thousands of cookie-cutter subdivisions with 8-bedroom houses on postage stamp lots and every last one with a white-on-white decorating scheme inside.  In some parts of the US, houses in suburban subdivisions seem to have been soaked in some giant vat of bleach.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2006, 07:00:55 am »
Why does Ennis call his father, who he suspects of being a murderer and a bigot, a "fine calf roper" ?

Probably denial. Plenty of adults who've had grossly abusive parents do some very creative editing in their memories of them, and Ennis apparently wasn't an exception. e.g., "He was a psychopathic sonofabitch but he made really good chili. I'm going to forget that first part."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2006, 10:36:34 am »
Loved your replies, Marcia! One very funny, one sobering. Now, post a new "Why does Ennis" question!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2007, 01:51:15 am »
Why does Ennis call his father, who he suspects of being a murderer and a bigot, a "fine calf roper" ?

Probably denial. Plenty of adults who've had grossly abusive parents do some very creative editing in their memories of them, and Ennis apparently wasn't an exception. e.g., "He was a psychopathic sonofabitch but he made really good chili. I'm going to forget that first part."

Actually, I don't think Ennis sees his father as being either bigoted or grossly abusive. He thinks his dad was right -- when he jokingly says this to Jack about his dad's opinion of rodeoers, it means so much more. In other words, he sees everything his father did and said (with the possible exception of the actual murder, which is unclear), as a legitimate and correct reflection of right and wrong. To Ennis, his dad's opinion reflects the realities of society and the universe. He wasn't bigoted, in Ennis' eyes, because Ennis thought homosexuality was wrong, too. He wasn't abusive, he was just teaching his son about the world. So not only was Mr. Ennis a fine roper, to Ennis probably considered him a decent dad. Poor Ennis!  :-\

Why does Ennis look like he has just thought of something, after Cassie runs out of the bus station?

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2007, 07:12:24 am »
Why does Ennis write to Jack telling him about the divorce, then rejects him when he comes to visit him?
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

mvansand76

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2007, 07:14:16 am »
Why does Ennis write to Jack telling him about the divorce, then rejects him when he comes to visit him?

Because he wanted to tell his best friend, his only friend about it but never intended to make it sound like an invitation for that sweet life that Jack was always talking about. Or maybe in the back of his mind he did, but when he saw Jack there he freaked out.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2007, 09:40:45 am »

Because he wanted to tell his best friend, his only friend about it but never intended to make it sound like an invitation for that sweet life that Jack was always talking about. Or maybe in the back of his mind he did, but when he saw Jack there he freaked out.

I think it's more than only the want to let him know about the divorce, more than just passing on news. Ennis was lonley and desperate, he needed to reach out to the only person he could do so.
A moment of weakness, when he couldn't stand it and let the walls down a bit. But when Jack arrived, he had them up again.

Very crucial moment. The best (only?) chance for that sweet life. If only, if only...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2007, 10:29:09 am »

he sees everything his father did and said (with the possible exception of the actual murder, which is unclear), as a legitimate and correct reflection of right and wrong. To Ennis, his dad's opinion reflects the realities of society and the universe. ?

The way he says “...he done the job” as if what happened to Earl was a task that had to be done. I’m not saying Ennis views it as such, but I wouldn’t be surprised if his father had phrased it that way.

In the book, Ennis goes on: "If he was alive and was to put his head in that door right now you bet he'd go get his tire iron."

He does not 'only' think that his own father killed Earl, but he thinks he [father] would kill him [Ennis], his own son, for having sex with a man. I think this is even worse.

To Ennis, his dad's opinion reflects the realities of society and the universe.

Yes, absolutely.

he sees everything his father did and said (with the possible exception of the actual murder, which is unclear), as a legitimate and correct reflection of right and wrong

I'd say as a logical and natural consequence. But I don't think Ennis reflected much about the moral right or wrong (if it's legitimate) of his father's actions (except the murder). It was just the way the world was to Ennis.

But what about the murder? What did Ennis think about it?

From goadra:
After Junior asks about living with him, why does Ennis say, “I’m not sayin’ I wouldn’t...”? What does that mean?

"I'm not saying I wouldn't... if I could".
...if the circumstances were other
...if you'd bug enough to get me moving my ass and see what is possible.
I would like to live with you, but I can't.

Basically he reassures her that he loves her.

My question is the one from above: But what about the murder? What did Ennis think about it?

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2007, 04:53:26 pm »
My question is the one from above: But what about the murder? What did Ennis think about it?

I don't know if there's a really clearcut answer to this, but IMO Ennis did not approve of the murder. I think it scared the bleep out of him, he took it as a personal threat, perhaps he even considered it, as Chrissi said, a logical and natural consequence of Earl's transgression. Ennis definitely doesn't approve of homosexuality. But I don't see Ennis as someone who would get into other people's business or punish them for perceived misdeeds, let alone kill them. His threat to Jack about Mexico notwithstanding -- I don't think he really meant that sincerely. So even if he thought Earl was wrong, I don't think he considered the murder justifiable.

Because Cassie has just slapped him with the knowledge that she fell in love with him. He didn’t mean for that to happen. Going against the majority opinion, but...I don’t think this moment is the earth- (Ennis-) shattering realization that Jack fell in love with him.

I wonder what the majority DOES think. Personally, I'm more in the "he was realizing something about Jack" (either that Jack loved him or that he loved Jack) camp. Anyone else care to weigh in?

After Junior asks about living with him, why does Ennis say, “I’m not sayin’ I wouldn’t...”? What does that mean?

He means, "I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have you there, under other circumstances." Just like he'd love to live with Jack, under other circumstances.

Partly because he was really upset about the divorce and had no one else to tell. But also, and I really hate to say this again, I think he tells him -- and via postcard -- because it's a device to get Jack to drive 14 hours without notice and surprise him, only to be rejected.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2007, 05:09:49 pm »

Partly because he was really upset about the divorce and had no one else to tell. But also, and I really hate to say this again, I think he tells him -- and via postcard -- because it's a device to get Jack to drive 14 hours without notice and surprise him, only to be rejected.

I don't think ther is ANY way Ennis thought Jack would drive up to see him and expect to move in! He just wanted to share his troubles with his closest friend.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.