Author Topic: Two tidbits of movie information  (Read 2187 times)

moremojo

Two tidbits of movie information
« on: December 18, 2006, 10:37:38 pm »
Two little morsels of information gleaned over the weekend that I'd like to share:

I came across Robert Altman's Popeye on cable this past Saturday, a film which I had seen upon its initial 1980 theatrical release, but had not watched even on TV in many a moon. Glancing at the opening credits, I was excited to see that Roberta Maxwell was among the cast! I was further charmed to discover that she played Nana Oyl--a thoroughly delightful character, possibly my favorite in the whole film. In 1980 I would have had no idea of Ms. Maxwell's identity, but there she was, shining in her thespian metier, and in such an utterly different role than that of Mrs. Twist (a truly great albeit brief performance). Maxwell's presence in Altman's film made me feel a new and wholly unexpected connection to it--twenty-six years after first seeing it!

My other news is also movie-related. I was at the bookstore Saturday evening, and thumbing through a guidebook to Wyoming, read that the Mint Bar in Sheridan, the watering-hole that will be forever immortalized as the place where Ennis and Jack were born in Annie's imagination, was used in the filming of a 1985 movie called Wild Horses. Apparently the bar, which dates back to 1907, is quite well-known locally. I looked up Wild Horses on the IMDb, and it seems to be a made-for-TV movie, starring Kenny Rogers. I think it would be worth seeking out for the Mint's presence alone. Here is the link to this title's IMDb page:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090324/

Lastly, while at the bookstore (a Borders) that same Saturday night, I finally purchased the Brokeback Mountain 2007 wall calender. It's still wrapped up in plastic at my home, but I now own a copy. It looks like I'll be seeing quite a bit of our boys in the new year... :)

Scott

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: Two tidbits of movie information
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 04:12:21 am »
Scott-

I too have the calendar-took a picture of the cover with my cell phone and use it as my phone wall paper. And "Snow" from the soundtrack as my ring tone.

O0

Heathen

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 04:23:55 am »
Thanks for posting this, Scott.  When I saw that you wrote it was a Robert Altman film, I perked up and checked to see if it was edited by Geraldine Peroni.  No.  Interesting cast, though.  Klaus Voormann is in it.  And Harry Nilsson wrote the original music.  I will see it.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 07:59:30 am »
An amazing thing in my life is that I have been to Wyoming exactly once, for a period of about 24 hours, and in those 24 hours I actually went to the Mint Bar. Man, if I knew then what I know now...LOL. I was there in 1979.

Do you know why the Mint Bar has its name? The entire bar is covered with silver dollars (under urethane). My memory is that the bar is quite long and the dollars are really impressive.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 09:46:23 am »
More tidbits: The Company, a Robert Altman movie that I watched recently, was edited by Geraldine Peroni.

Also there is a picture of the Mint Bar sign over on the Social Forum in the "Celebrate Memorial Day in Breathtaking Estes Park" thread.
"chewing gum and duct tape"