Author Topic: Now what? Read "Covering: the Hidden Assault on Our Civil Rights"  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
BBM has re-politicized me:  I've reconnected with my anger and sadness at the plight of gay people (yes, I'm gay).

I'm reading an amazing book that I recommend to my gay brethren, especially those who want to make the Brokeback experience lead to changes in their lives.

It's a non-fiction analysis of our situation and our lives, written by a gay Professor of Law at Yale:  "Covering: the Hidden Assault on our Civil Rights" by Kenji Yoshino.  It's available at Amazon (I wanted to provide a direct link, but when I did, the link was specific to my account at Amazon and I couldn't figure out how to delete just that part of it).

Yoshino discusses the issues in two ways: his personal history and also in terms of U.S. law.  It is NOT a dry, difficult read....  quite the contrary.  It's actually a page turner, but I find myself resisting the urge to read it too fast.    Each section is giving me so much to think about that I have to put it down to give myself time digest it all.

This book might be a little too scary for our brothers who are still in the closet, as it focuses on the oppression we face after we come out. If you're still in the closet, I'm not belittling you for being so, and neither does Yoshino.  It's more a case of you having enough on your plate as it is....  this book should come later, IMHO.

But if you're out and feeling the need to "do something" after seeing Brokeback, this book would make a great start.

If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Now what? Read "Covering: the Hidden Assault on Our Civil Rights"
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 12:47:25 pm »
very good observations, I am with you 100% on this issue. I am convinced that the closet is a type of death: spiritual, mental, emotional, and sometimes as in the case of Jack Twist, physical death. I really don't see it as radical to admit the truth of our lives, I don't see it as radical to expect society at large to grant us our full civil rights as Americans and human beings. Of course, most people don't quite see it my way...so I guess I'm a radical. Funny, I was raised Republican, grew up in a small Texas town, and even now I think of myself as a conservative Libertarian. I guess I'll just have to spell the word "Libertarian" in big pink letters from now on.