Author Topic: This time Oscar recognizes Brokeback Mountain (not Crash)!  (Read 15399 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: This time Oscar recognizes Brokeback Mountain (not Crash)!
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2006, 10:36:45 pm »
"No prisoners,  no prisoners!" =   ________________________?

Lawrence of Arabia
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2006, 11:35:33 pm »
I found a webpage with the sources of all of the quotes on the poster.  I already knew about 2/3 of them.  But I won't spoil it by listing them here.

As far as boycotting the Oscars, come on guys!  The Oscars have never been the last word on film quality and my favorite hardly ever wins.  You just have to take it for what it is.  I've always been a big fan the process of giving out the acting awards; reading the names, showing a clip of the film that reminds you why they were so great (except when they choose a bad clip, and then you can say to your friends "they should have shown the part where..."), and the acceptance speeches, which are hit and miss, but sometimes you get a good one.  Besides, don't you want to be watching if Scorcese finally wins?

Looking at the frontrunners so far, they're all good movies: The Departed, The Queen, Letters from Iwo Jima, Babel (my favorite), United 93, Little Miss Sunshine, Dreamgirls, all of them were at least a 7 to me.  Personally I can't wait to see the nominees and watch the show.  I want to see if Beyonce can pull off "Listen" live.  And if Prince will be nominated for "Song of the Heart" from Happy Feet, and if he performs it if he is.  And what the final nominees for picture and director will be out of a field of 7 or 8 very deserving possibilities.

I have all of the Oscars since 1987 on VHS, except for two years ago when Million Dollar Baby won.  The DVR didn't work for some reason and I didn't mind because that particular broadcast was the most mindnumbingly dull I can remember.  The best was for the 1991 films.  It was Billy Crystal's 3rd year (the best host we've got), the song performances, mostly from Beauty and the Beast, were very good, and overall it was simply more entertaining than other years.  It was the year Silence of the Lambs won all the big ones.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 11:40:26 pm by kirkmusic »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2006, 12:21:46 am »
You have a good point, Kirk.

Does Jack Nicholson have more quotes than anybody else? It looks like it to me.

Where is, "You can't handle the truth?" I thought that one would be there!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2006, 01:10:45 am »
Looking at the frontrunners so far, they're all good movies: The Departed, The Queen, Letters from Iwo Jima, Babel (my favorite), United 93, Little Miss Sunshine, Dreamgirls

I haven't seen a single one of these, though I wanted to see The Queen. (Well, I saw part of United 93 when my other half rented it and I discovered that I was listening to it. I didn't want to see it.) Most of them have been here and gone, so I'm not going to see any of them. Which means that my boycott of Oscar-bait movies is holding.

(But then, I just plain don't like most Oscar bait. There's only one movie that I genuinely love that's ever won Best Picture, and it was a departure for the Academy. So it isn't as if I'm giving anything up.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2006, 01:37:59 am »

Where is, "You can't handle the truth?" I thought that one would be there!

Our left of Oscar's belly button.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2006, 01:44:31 am »

As far as boycotting the Oscars, come on guys!  The Oscars have never been the last word on film quality and my favorite hardly ever wins.  You just have to take it for what it is. 

Okay, now that someone else has said it, I'll say it too.  I'm not going to boycott the Oscars.  I agree that BBM probably lost for all the reasons we have ever discussed, and that sucks, but it doesn't mean I'm not watching anymore.  It wouldn't teach AMPAS any kind of lesson.  It would just mean me missing the fun stuff.  Plus, I plan to be watching the year Kirk wins his first Oscar.

Thanks Kirk, for not bein' a big ol' wuss like I've been.

:)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2006, 02:39:58 am »
Plus, I plan to be watching the year Kirk wins his first Oscar.

There's an excellent point, Elle.  I have never watched the Oscars on purpose, myself, except for last year.  It also occurs to me that Jake and Heath will eventually be nominated again, fine actors that they are.  Then where will the boycotters be?  Torn between a rigid stance on principle and watching our boys being deservedly honored.  For me, at least, supporting the boys in their future work is going to win that one.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2006, 03:00:07 am »
"If you build it, he will come."  Field of Dreams

"Greed is good."  Wall Street

I don't have much of an interest in watching the Oscars, unless it would be to see Helen Mirren win for "The Queen."

One resolution I have kept and will continue to keep is to never watch Ebert & Roeper again.  Their very active campaign for "Crash" to win Best Picture convinced me that they wouldn't know a great film if it came up and bit them on the arse.  ::)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2006, 06:01:21 am »
I admit I don't think I know more than 70% or so of the poster quotes. But it's one at a time, right, so I'm going with:

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, This is the war room." - Dr. Strangelove, or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb."

Concerning my stance on the Oscars, I don't actually consider it "boycotting". To me it's just a reaction to having my naive belief removed that quality and beauty and truth in acting and filmmaking would actually get the reward - that the Oscar truly still managed to "mean" something in that regard  rising above the small-town prejudices, the superficial glamour, the campaigning, the insatiable need for empty entertainment news to be yacked out to fill the papers and TV screens, the whole general "Razzle-dazzle". I don't see it like that any more. I must admit that I was also very disappointed when Fellowship of the Ring didn't win back in the day (I still think that's the one of the 3 "Rings" films that deserved the Oscar, rather than Return of the King) - but "A beautiful Mind" on all accounts also was a worthy winner if not my favourite by a long shot. Also there was the possibility of an award down the line at the end of the "Rings" trilogy, and at any rate and most importantly "Fellowship" lost because of prejudices against Fantasy films rather than because of something as serious and insupportable as homophobia; -  so my pathetic little illusions weren't shattered then. Now they have been.

I look at what you say.......;

It also occurs to me that Jake and Heath will eventually be nominated again, fine actors that they are.  Then where will the boycotters be?  Torn between a rigid stance on principle and watching our boys being deservedly honored.

I don't have much of an interest in watching the Oscars, unless it would be to see Helen Mirren win for "The Queen."

...and I realize; yes. I'd like to see Heath and Jake being awarded and I'd sure like to see Helen Mirren being honoured for "the Queen". My problem however is that I honestly don't see the Oscar as a badge of quality anymore, something that really signifies the kind of appreciation and honour I'd like these people to have. That's just gone.

That's sad to me because I'm the kind of person to get very involved in certain films and to cheer them on and to enjoy all the mention they get in the pre-Oscar races and such. Part of the point is, I think, that I've wanted to let certain actors and filmmakers know how much their film meant to *me* - how much their efforts and message moved and inspired *me*. Since I can't get to ever communicate that in person (and would be struck dumb if I ever had the chance  ::) ), I'd until last year considered the Oscars as *the* stand-in symbol of appreciation being handed over on behalf of ordinary moviegoers like me.  And now, almost one year down the line from last year's travesty, I realize that symbolism's gone for good. The Oscar last year became the symbol of people with prejudices that I do not at all want to represent me.

But then, of course, there's still the entertainment value....

The Oscars have never been the last word on film quality and my favorite hardly ever wins.  You just have to take it for what it is. 

Yes, I've been thinking that nevertheless it's still Entertainment with a capital E. It's fun and so forth. There's no reason to take it all so deathly seriously, the way I do. But I think that after having seen Heath Ledger having to sit through that ceremony last year, it just can't be plain *fun* for me anymore. I felt so badly for him and I still do. For some reason I feel worse for him than for the rest of the BBM crew. Maybe because it's so obvious he's uncomfortable with that kind of show, maybe because he's the one of the nominated actors/actresses I thought deserved the award the most.... maybe because since his *is* the main part in BBM,  and that out of the blue he created and delivered a performance that I still almost can't *believe*........  Anyway, to me the "Best Picture" award would also have been a special acknowledgement of Ennis, as well as an encouragement to the real Ennises in this world, and the Crash win seemed such a slap in all their faces that the Oscars stopped being entertaining to me as of that moment. Watching actors I'd like to see profoundly thanked and honoured being trotted out for big Entertainment to be slapped in the face by bigots like that while having to smile as polite "losers" do - it hurts. It's not entertaining anymore, if it ever was.

*Sigh*

I'm not trying to convince anyone else here. I'm sure as heck not advocating a campaign to "boycott  the Oscars!". I'm just explaining my position. Which has to do with much more than boycotting in order to send a message. I don't think such a message would penetrate with the AMPAS anyhow.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 06:36:52 am by Mikaela »

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2006, 07:21:20 am »
Revised : Thursday AM

"No prisoners,  no prisoners!" =  Lawrence of Arabia

"I wish I knew how to quit you!"  =   Brokeback Mountain.

"All right, Mr.DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up"  =  Sunset Boulevard.

"ROSEBUD"   =   Citizen Kane.

"I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"  = Network

"No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving."  = Sideways,

"I'll get you my pretty... and your little dog, too!" = The Wizard of Oz

"Good evening, Clarice." = The Silence of the Lambs

"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." = 2001: A Space Odyssey

"I coulda been a Contender.  I coulda been somebody.  = On the Waterfront

"Frodo" =  Lord of the Rings

"My momma always said life is like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're going get."   =  Forest Gump

"What we've got here is failure to communicate." =  Cool Hand Luke

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." =  Gone with the Wind

"The horror. The horror."  = Apocalypse Now.

"You had me at hello."  = Jerry Maguire

"Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush." =  L.A. Confidential

"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." =   2001: a Space Odyssey

"They call me Mr. Tibbs!"  =  In the Heat of the Night

"Snap out of it!"   = Moonstruck

"You make me want to be a better man"  =  As Good as it Gets

"Show me the money!"  =  Jerry Maguire

"Shut up! Shut up and take the pain! Take the pain!" =  Platoon.

"If you build it, he will come." = Field of Dreams

"Greed is good."  =  Wall Street

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, This is the war room." = Dr. Strangelove

"I'm the King of the World!"  =  Titanic

Keep em coming gang!