Author Topic: What movie shall we watch next?  (Read 14927 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
What movie shall we watch next?
« on: December 26, 2006, 10:11:14 pm »
What movie would you like to watch and discuss the similarities and differences to Brokeback Mountain? Let us know. You can select up to three options, and tell us of any other candidates!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What movie shall we watch next?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 11:29:43 am »
I added it!!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 11:18:34 am »
In honor of latjorme and me, I voted for Wuthering Heights.  As long as we can watch the version with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche.  MEEEEOW!  I'll warn the uninitiated - you'll need a cigarette afterwards (or maybe during).
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 01:13:52 pm »
You don't find her constant giggling and his constant glowering irritating??

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 05:17:58 pm »
You don't find her constant giggling and his constant glowering irritating??

I would if I wasn't too busy being utterly mesmerized by the hotness that is the thirty-something Ralph Fiennes.  ;)

(Yeah, her laugh really did annoy me in that.  I guess she was trying to make her seem flighty or something, but it backfired.)
No more beans!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 07:09:05 pm »
I selected Maurice.    Much like Brokeback Mountain,  it is a period piece and focuses on the lives of two young men over the course of several years.  Each taking a different path.     There are a lot of similarities in the stories.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 08:50:54 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 07:24:46 pm »
I went for 'Remains of the Day'. The Emma Thompson character is Jack and the Anthony Hopkins character is Ennis, and he too loses the love of his life because of an inability to shake the burden and expectations of his upbringing, despite her attempts to break through his repression and fear...

Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 09:28:57 pm »
Wow! I fall behind in my BetterMost reading over the holidays, finally get around to this thread and discover people are making selections in honor of me! Thanks everybody!! Makes it doubly hard to confess that, um ... I didn't vote for Wuthering Heights  :-X

I love the book, but I've never been very satisfied with any of the film adaptations. And I'm sorry Barb, et. al, but I find it hard to picture Ralph Fiennes as Heathcliff (he does play Heathcliff, I assume? not Edgar, whom I can more easily see him as?) But that's no aspersion on Ralph -- I have a hard time picturing Lawrence Olivier as Heathcliff, too. The only Heathcliff I've ever been half satisfied with is Timothy Dalton, but perhaps only because I saw that version of WH before reading the book.

Hey, this just struck me, having seen The Children of Men yesterday. You know who would make a GREAT Heathcliff? Clive Owen!

Anyway, I voted for Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. I haven't seen that one practically since it was in theaters, loved it at the time and am curious as to how it holds up. I think to some degree my love for that movie laid the groundwork for my love for BBM, 40 years later.

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 08:30:13 am »
Hey, this just struck me, having seen The Children of Men yesterday. You know who would make a GREAT Heathcliff? Clive Owen!

Clive Owen would make a great anything IMHO. I've loved him in everything I've ever seen him in. Plus he's very easy on the eye... :P. He should definitely get his head out of his arse and play Bond after Daniel Craig has thrown in the towel...

Anyway, I voted for Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. I haven't seen that one practically since it was in theaters, loved it at the time and am curious as to how it holds up. I think to some degree my love for that movie laid the groundwork for my love for BBM, 40 years later.

I think BC&theSK holds up really well. I still adore it... ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 08:33:34 am by saucycobblers »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 11:09:45 am »
I love the book, but I've never been very satisfied with any of the film adaptations. And I'm sorry Barb, et. al, but I find it hard to picture Ralph Fiennes as Heathcliff (he does play Heathcliff, I assume? not Edgar, whom I can more easily see him as?)

He *is* Heathcliff.  If you doubt that (and it appears you do), look below and think again.  :)

No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 11:17:03 am »
Based on his performance as Heathcliff *alone*, Steven Spielberg cast him as Amon Goethe in Schindler's List.  No screen test.  No nothing.  He about comes out of the screen at you in it.  I remember the first time I ever saw it - actually after having seen Schindler's List and reading why Spielberg cast him.  I was watching it on a TV at my Dad's house around Christmas time - it happened to be on PBS.  He came walking in, looked at the screen for a few seconds, and goes, "Oh, MY.  Who is THAT?"  I told him his name.  He goes, "Haven't heard of him."  I said, "You will."  He goes, "I imagine so.  Quite the intense fellow."

Are you convinced yet?

It's too bad Juliette Binoche kind of ruins it with that incessant giggling of hers, but I'll say it again.  He *is* Heathcliff.

No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 11:18:36 am »
I don't know about the rest of you all, but I'd *really* like to nibble on that upper lip...

:-*
No more beans!

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 01:14:15 pm »

OMG, just imagine how beautiful their kids would be... :P

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 01:28:35 pm »
I know - almost unbearably so, huh, Saucy?

No more beans!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 02:02:31 pm »
I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid last week for the first time in ages (and for the very first time in English, btw.). I came by a low-priced DVD of it during my Christmas shoppings and couldn't resist.
It was mentioned sometimes in threads around these forums, but I thought it deserved its own thread and wanted to open one. Now I'll wait till the poll is closed.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 02:30:15 pm »
OK, Barb, you've convinced me. I loved him in Schindler's List -- as much as you can love a despicable, vile, evil character, anyway. I will give him a chance as Heathcliff.

Next question: Juliette Binoche as Cathy? For one thing, did she master an English accent?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 03:18:10 pm »
OK, Barb, you've convinced me. I loved him in Schindler's List -- as much as you can love a despicable, vile, evil character, anyway. I will give him a chance as Heathcliff.

Next question: Juliette Binoche as Cathy? For one thing, did she master an English accent?

Not fully.  You could hear the French coming through every so often.  But I'd say she mastered it better than most American actors do.  And she was uneven overall.  In her serious moments, I thought she was a perfect Cathy.  But as Lee alluded to, she did this sort impetuous giggling thing from time to time that was really distracting.  Like I say, I think she was going for making Cathy fickle and flighty, and that does sort of follow from the book (which I *love*, too).

What this production does do beautifully, besides give us the quintessential Heathcliff (I didn't much care for Olivier's rendition of him, either, and thought Merle was sort of an impotent Cathy) is recreate the environment and the time.  Wuthering Heights the building is extraordinary - just as I would have imagined it reading the book.  And the moors are perfect, too.  Oh - and as an added bonus, Jeremy Northam plays Hindley Earnshaw, and Janet McTeer plays Ellen, the housekeeper, who is the conscience of the piece and who is spot on perfect.  Simon Shepherd makes a very good Edgar, too.  Oh, and wait until you see the beautiful creature who plays Hareton Earnshaw (Heathcliff and Isabella's son).  Can't find a photo of him, and it looks from imDb that he hasn't done any TV or movie acting since 2000.  You'll just have to check it out and see.

I'd really like to see Maurice, too.  I've bumped it up towards the top of my Netflix queue.  Of course, I already own EB's Wuthering Heights.   ;D
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 12:12:49 pm »
I'm thinking we could use a Ralph! Ralph! Ralph! topic!

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 12:50:46 pm »
I was really surprised not to see "Latter Days" on the list.  This film hits the same buttons in me as BBM and makes me laugh and cry and hurt and heal...

peace :)
br. patrick
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 05:22:22 pm »
I'm thinking we could use a Ralph! Ralph! Ralph! topic!

LOL!  Trust me, Lee.  You *really* don't want to encourage me on this topic.    ;)
No more beans!

Offline Eire1978

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 09:12:24 pm »
A movie that should be watched to discuss the similarities to BBM is "Yossi and Jagger", that tells the love story between two Israeli soldiers.

It's very moving.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 04:37:04 pm »
I selected Maurice from the list ..  :)

But ..
We need to add Latter Days to the list!  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2007, 05:42:11 pm »
Maurice going once...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 05:43:16 pm »
Maurice going once...

I'm expecting it from Netflix Tuesday!
 :D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 07:30:39 pm »
I'll bump "Maurice" up on my queue as well.  I'm trying to watch all five movies nominated for the Independent Spirit Awards "Best Feature" before I vote.  I just have to see "American Gun" (which I have and plan to watch tonight) and "The Dead Girl."  I'm fairly certain I will vote for "Pan's Labyrinth" which I just saw today and loved, but unlike some members of certain organizations, I think seeing all five nominees before voting is the least we can do.

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2007, 07:37:22 pm »
unlike some members of certain organizations, I think seeing all five nominees before voting is the least we can do.

Watch all five before voting?! Wow, that's really dedicated of you, Barb. You don't think you can get the gist by just listening to a few Jay Leno monologues?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2007, 09:14:24 pm »
 :laugh:
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2007, 10:22:37 am »
Maurice going twice...

Offline oilgun

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 12:20:59 am »
He *is* Heathcliff.  If you doubt that (and it appears you do), look below and think again.  :)

OMG!  Why haven't I seen this movie!  Thanks ednbarby, this is going to take me where I want to go, lol!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 11:17:52 pm »
Oh, BTW, did you notice that heathcliff is here? Yes, he is but he hasn't posted yet.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2007, 05:58:52 pm »
I'm planning to watch Maurice tomorrow in between birthday chats. Lynne, Barb, everyone, please join me.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2007, 01:05:51 pm »
i just remembered a movie that I really liked a lot.  I don't know if you had talked about it here. I imagine some of you know it but it would be a good movie talk about (if you hadn't already done so).

Its "Strawberry and Chocalate" or "Fresa y chocalate" from Cuba (1994) in spanish.

It is an excellent film, I cannot believe I totally forgot about, and if you haven't seen it,  well I don't want to say much but it has a gay theme and it is very sweet and funny and a little sad.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2007, 01:25:14 pm »
I'll look for it. I just saw Pan's Labyrinth which was in Spanish and set in Spain and I also loved the films of Bunuel.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2007, 08:01:17 am »
i just remembered a movie that I really liked a lot.  I don't know if you had talked about it here. I imagine some of you know it but it would be a good movie talk about (if you hadn't already done so).

Its "Strawberry and Chocalate" or "Fresa y chocalate" from Cuba (1994) in spanish.

It is an excellent film, I cannot believe I totally forgot about, and if you haven't seen it,  well I don't want to say much but it has a gay theme and it is very sweet and funny and a little sad.

I recommend it too. Fresa y Chocolate is a beautiful tale about two men, one gay and one straight, who seem to be very different but are actually very similar. It also depicts interesting images of Cuba and the cuban life, in a non stereotypical fashion. It is a wonderful  and thoroughly well acted movie.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2007, 06:04:49 pm »
Wasn't it a great movie.  It was on IFC a lot a few years back and I watched it several times.  I am not sure if it does compare to BBM, maybe somehow.  But it was so interesting to see life in Cuba and it was so sweet and well done.  I do recommend it a lot.