Author Topic: More Jake, not related to his upcoming "unclehood"  (Read 8761 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
More Jake, not related to his upcoming "unclehood"
« on: April 11, 2006, 01:50:04 pm »
This was on Page Six:

Gay fans of Jake Gyllenhaal are determined to claim the "Brokeback Mountain" star as their own. Blogosphere gossips have been claiming that Gyllenhaal was ready to admit he was having trouble quitting actor Austin Nichols, whom he has known since high school. But sorry, guys, there won't be any coming-out party. Even though Jake is now split with Kirsten Dunst and Nichols broke off his engagement to Claire Oswalt, Gyllenhaal's rep says he and Nichols are just friends

Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/407893p-345283c.html

I've been noticing that there are almost no news about Heath or Michelle or any other BBM star. Just Jake. Those gay rumors are really keeping him on the spotlight! Well, I should really be working on my dissertation, so bye for now!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 01:51:36 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: More Jake, not related to his upcoming "unclehood"
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 01:59:40 pm »
That notwithstanding (and I still say it's nobody's business but his and all the speculating and surmising kind of pisses me off), what's this about his upcoming unclehood?  Is Maggie preggers?  Do tell.  :)
No more beans!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 02:07:04 pm »
Yes, check out the thread (started a lil while ago) about Jack's unclehood ...

Amidst all the gossip, I love the way Jake is taking it all...
Heath and Michelle have a baby, and they are not "juicy" enough for gay rumours I guess ::)
I am behind Jake all the way...more power to him! :-*

Offline David

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 02:27:25 pm »
Ted Casablanca from the E-TV Network has been "hinting" that about Jake for quite some time.   But the fact he wont come right out and say it means that he has no proof.   

First of all, it shouldn't matter but it does.    If he is unsure of his own sexuality, then that is a good reason to be quiet about it.   If he is totally straight, then wonderful for him and his future wife.  If he is gay and hiding it, then shame on him.    Living a lie is destructive to everyone.    I'm sure there are many closeted Actors in Hollywood who keep their mouth shut to protect their income.

vkm91941

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 02:31:37 pm »
Whatever Jake's sexuality it's his business.  I just think it a pathetic state of affairs that this man cannot even go out in public and hang with male friends withou there being "boyfriend" speculation dogging him everywhere he goes because: 1. He's an excellent actor and played gay so convincingly and 2. because some tired bitchy old queen with a hidden agenda like Ted C wants to be titlated.

Jake has self identifed as straight on more than one occasssion and until he says otherwise people need to back off and take the man at his word. JMO

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 03:16:23 pm »
Whatever Jake's sexuality it's his business.  I just think it a pathetic state of affairs that this man cannot even go out in public and hang with male friends withou there being "boyfriend" speculation dogging him everywhere he goes because: 1. He's an excellent actor and played gay so convincingly and 2. because some tired bitchy old queen with a hidden agenda like Ted C wants to be titlated.

Jake has self identifed as straight on more than one occasssion and until he says otherwise people need to back off and take the man at his word. JMO

And mine, too.  Victoria.  Very well-said.

And as far as the living the lie thing goes (if that's even the case), I understand what you're saying, David, really, I do.  But I think that in his profession, it would (*very, very, very* unfortunately) be career suicide for a young (or even middle-aged) actor to come out.  Ask Rupert Everett.  Or Kevin Spacey, who still has one.  And I don't think any of us wants to miss out on seeing everything this young man could do and become in his career, do we?  Again, I *HATE* the fact that it's like that in the movie business (and everywhere, but most especially there).  I can't begin to say how bad I feel about it. 
No more beans!

Offline David

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 03:24:34 pm »
 I do understand that coming out can be career suicide.   But I worry about the message it sends to young confused boys and girls.   Teenage suicide is a major problem with gay boys and girls who live in oppresssed families and communities.   

Young gay people need to see gay role models.    The more public exposure there is , the more commonplace it will seem.     Who would have thought we'd go from Will & Grace to Brokeback Mountain in ten years?

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 03:25:15 pm »
Rupert Everett.  Was he ever "big" to begin with or is he just the gay Hugh Grant, not saying Hugh Grant is straight?  I mean did his coming out have anything to do with a career slide? 

I suppose you have to wait till your sixty or seventy, Richard Chamberlain, Tab Hunter, Sulu. Ian McKellan has had a very successful career. Of course, he's never cast in romantic leads. 

There was a concern that Jake was taking a risk in alienating teenage males by his role in BBM, but I don't know if his film direction indicates that's a target audience for him. 

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 03:26:14 pm »

And mine, too.  Victoria.  Very well-said.

And as far as the living the lie thing goes (if that's even the case), I understand what you're saying, David, really, I do.  But I think that in his profession, it would (*very, very, very* unfortunately) be career suicide for a young (or even middle-aged) actor to come out.  Ask Rupert Everett.  Or Kevin Spacey, who still has one.  And I don't think any of us wants to miss out on seeing everything this young man could do and become in his career, do we?  Again, I *HATE* the fact that it's like that in the movie business (and everywhere, but most especially there).  I can't begin to say how bad I feel about it. 

Maybe this is a stupid question but did Kevin Spacey ever actually come out? 

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 03:29:27 pm »
No, he didn't.

As far as Rupert Everett, he saved My Best Friend's Wedding. He OOZES charm.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 10:11:24 pm by sparkle_motion »
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 03:38:25 pm »
Saved My Best Friends Wedding?  Julia kicks ass!  Thats all I have to say!

vkm91941

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 03:40:27 pm »
No, he didn't.

As far as Rupert Everett, he saved My Best Friend's Wedding. He OOZES charm. I watched that movie on TBS the other day with my boyfriend. Even he admitted how adorable Rupert is.

I saw Rupert Everett on Cinemax recently as Sherlock Holmes..He was wonderful!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 03:51:16 pm by vkm91941 »

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 03:46:19 pm »
Hey SPARKLE MOTION,

Rupert Everett

Ever see him in THE COMFORT OF STRANGERS.  Even his wife in the movie say "you look like a Greek god," (he's in a bathrobe when she says that)   Great cinematography of Venice. Will make you far more cautious of getting too chummy with the natives there...

He was pretty hot in ANOTHER COUNTRY. It's set in a British Boarding school, he plays gay. I think he was in his early 20's when he did that film.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 04:43:08 pm »
I do understand that coming out can be career suicide.   But I worry about the message it sends to young confused boys and girls.   Teenage suicide is a major problem with gay boys and girls who live in oppresssed families and communities.   

Young gay people need to see gay role models.    The more public exposure there is , the more commonplace it will seem.     Who would have thought we'd go from Will & Grace to Brokeback Mountain in ten years?
I so agree, and actors who are dragged out of the closet don't seem to make great role models.  If Tom or Kevin wanna stay in the closet, leave em there.

On the other hand, there are a lot more out actors who don't get the same level of acknowledged as some of the Brits do.  They're lucky, they have Ian McKellen, John Hurt, Rupert Everett, etc.  Here, the two actors who are in 'Adam and Steve', Craig Chester and Malcolm Gets, are both openly gay and pretty active.  I haven't seen the movie yet but it's supposed to be pretty funny.  

Also, although the show sucked, the two stars of 'It's All Relative' are both handsome out actors:  John Benjamin Hickey and the other's name escapes me.  Speaking of sucky, three of the guys from Queer As Folk are also out, the young one, Peter Paige and Robert Gant (he's the popsicle of the three!)

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 05:02:08 pm »
Good points, all.  I stand corrected about ol' Rupert.  I seem to remember someone at the previous incarnation of CT who seemed to be in the know about the movie business - was it Flash?  Or RT? - saying that he had said in a few interviews that he regretted it.

And I agree that he stole "My Best Friend's Wedding, btw.  Totally.

I also agree with you, Juan - coming out because you've been dragged out isn't really sending a positive message, either.  Let be, let be.
No more beans!

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 05:09:51 pm »
I had posted on the old board that I read an interview with Rupert Everett a while back where he stated that he regretted his decision - from a professional standpoint (not a personal one).  He said it effectively killed his chances for an leading man type film career in the States.  It was sad. Sadder still that I think his assessment remains depressingly accurate.

This isn't the article I read, but here are some of Rupert Everett's thoughts on the issue (got this off of uk.gay.com - 2004) --

"Rupert Everett has spoken out against the "trophy" film industry, claiming his sexuality has held him back from being cast in major films.

The out star of My Best Friend's Wedding and Shrek 2 said in the interview with US site about.com that being gay has hampered his progress in the industry.

"I was never allowed to go on to the next step," he said of his post My Best Friend's Wedding career.

"Because, I think in a trophy business, you can maybe be black but you can't, definitely not yet, be gay."

He says the knock on effect of this is "ups and downs", which he admits drives him "furious furious".

"You could end up a basket case easily. I have a bike and I bicycle around a lot and I find myself just arguing, not just with myself, with studio heads, business managers, people about work. It can make you angry," he says.

He also said the rumours of him becoming a gay James Bond would come to nothing, saying he would rather "play it straight anyway".

"The next step would be to play a major leading straight role in a movie," he said of his career plans, but warned that "they would burn down MGM if they got a gay actor to play James Bond"."

« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 05:17:50 pm by amy7769 »

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 05:16:01 pm »
Sorry, Chris, I forgot about your crush on Julia.

I didn't realize John Hurt is gay. He's the actor from Michael?
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 05:19:41 pm »

LOL....no worries! 

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 05:31:20 pm »
Well in my local newspaper tv highlights for the evening, it notes RUPERT EVERETT is narrating PARAGRAPH 175 on HBO. Actually it was at 10:00AM this morning. Sorry. 

So he's doing narration now.   :(

vkm91941

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 05:41:11 pm »

No he's the actor from V is for Vendetta and Alien and he's been married t 4 different WOMEN...doesn't sound gay, maybe he's Bi

Ann Rees Meyers (March 2005 - present)
Jo Dalton (24 January 1990 - 1996) (divorced) 2 children
Donna Peacock (6 September 1984 - 1990) (divorced)
Annette Robertson (1962 - 1964) (divorced)

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 05:43:24 pm »
Well in my local newspaper tv highlights for the evening, it notes RUPERT EVERETT is narrating PARAGRAPH 175 on HBO. Actually it was at 10:00AM this morning. Sorry. 

So he's doing narration now.   :(

I saw on awfulplasticsurgery.com awhile back that he had a lot of work done. It's all pretty sad. He was great as Prince Charming in Shrek 2 though.

Thanks, Vic. I think I was thinking of William Hurt.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 04:19:57 am »
Just saw this thread, when I posted my IMDb quote thread about Peter Sarsgaard and Maggie Gyllenhaal being engaged and expecting.. I guess Jake is really becoming an uncle!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 04:25:19 am »
Yes, check out the thread (started a lil while ago) about Jack's unclehood ...

OKAY, I did NOT find that earlier thread about his 'unclehood', so I'll put my post here:

I checked, but nobody posted this before. So here goes:

Secretary star Maggie Gyllenhaal and Flightplan actor Peter Sarsgaard are engaged and expecting a baby. The couple have been together for over four years. They co-starred in 2003's In God's Hands, a low-budget feature produced by Steven Soderbergh that was never released. Sarsgaard recently starred in Jarhead, alongside his future brother-in-law, Jake Gyllenhaal. It will be the first marriage and first child for both actors. Sarsgaard will next be seen in indie drama Small Tragedy, while Gyllenhaal co-stars in World Trade Center, coming out this summer.
Source: http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/

CONGRATULATIONS to Maggie and Peter!! And of course to Jake becoming an uncle!

~ j U d E
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 04:27:10 am by JudeW »

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 05:25:44 am »
Okay, forget my previous post! I did not see opinionistas thread!  :-\

;D

~ j U d E

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2006, 08:24:02 am »
I suppose you have to wait till your sixty or seventy, Richard Chamberlain, Tab Hunter, Sulu. Ian McKellan has had a very successful career. Of course, he's never cast in romantic leads. 

Richard Chamberlain is gay!? I did not know that. Thorn birds is one of my all time favourite books and I loved him playing Ralph de Bricassart. LOOOVVEEED him!

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2006, 08:30:35 am »
I loved the book The Thornbirds, too.  And I like Richard Chambelain - my favorite of his was The Man in the Iron Mask - I think he got Louis XIV *TOTALLY*.  Made me so obsessed (what? me? obsessed?) with him, in fact, that I wrote my 10th grade "Historiography" (20-page research paper) on him.  But I'd have rather someone more smolderingly lusty played Father Ralph.  If it were redone today, Clive Owen or Jeremy Northam would be at the top of my list.  I really thought Bryan Brown stole the thing.  Every time he was on the screen, I was captivated.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 08:32:40 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!