Author Topic: More Jake, not related to his upcoming "unclehood"  (Read 8820 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: More Jake, not related to his upcoming "unclehood"
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 03:38:25 pm »
Saved My Best Friends Wedding?  Julia kicks ass!  Thats all I have to say!

vkm91941

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 03:40:27 pm »
No, he didn't.

As far as Rupert Everett, he saved My Best Friend's Wedding. He OOZES charm. I watched that movie on TBS the other day with my boyfriend. Even he admitted how adorable Rupert is.

I saw Rupert Everett on Cinemax recently as Sherlock Holmes..He was wonderful!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 03:51:16 pm by vkm91941 »

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 03:46:19 pm »
Hey SPARKLE MOTION,

Rupert Everett

Ever see him in THE COMFORT OF STRANGERS.  Even his wife in the movie say "you look like a Greek god," (he's in a bathrobe when she says that)   Great cinematography of Venice. Will make you far more cautious of getting too chummy with the natives there...

He was pretty hot in ANOTHER COUNTRY. It's set in a British Boarding school, he plays gay. I think he was in his early 20's when he did that film.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 04:43:08 pm »
I do understand that coming out can be career suicide.   But I worry about the message it sends to young confused boys and girls.   Teenage suicide is a major problem with gay boys and girls who live in oppresssed families and communities.   

Young gay people need to see gay role models.    The more public exposure there is , the more commonplace it will seem.     Who would have thought we'd go from Will & Grace to Brokeback Mountain in ten years?
I so agree, and actors who are dragged out of the closet don't seem to make great role models.  If Tom or Kevin wanna stay in the closet, leave em there.

On the other hand, there are a lot more out actors who don't get the same level of acknowledged as some of the Brits do.  They're lucky, they have Ian McKellen, John Hurt, Rupert Everett, etc.  Here, the two actors who are in 'Adam and Steve', Craig Chester and Malcolm Gets, are both openly gay and pretty active.  I haven't seen the movie yet but it's supposed to be pretty funny.  

Also, although the show sucked, the two stars of 'It's All Relative' are both handsome out actors:  John Benjamin Hickey and the other's name escapes me.  Speaking of sucky, three of the guys from Queer As Folk are also out, the young one, Peter Paige and Robert Gant (he's the popsicle of the three!)

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 05:02:08 pm »
Good points, all.  I stand corrected about ol' Rupert.  I seem to remember someone at the previous incarnation of CT who seemed to be in the know about the movie business - was it Flash?  Or RT? - saying that he had said in a few interviews that he regretted it.

And I agree that he stole "My Best Friend's Wedding, btw.  Totally.

I also agree with you, Juan - coming out because you've been dragged out isn't really sending a positive message, either.  Let be, let be.
No more beans!

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 05:09:51 pm »
I had posted on the old board that I read an interview with Rupert Everett a while back where he stated that he regretted his decision - from a professional standpoint (not a personal one).  He said it effectively killed his chances for an leading man type film career in the States.  It was sad. Sadder still that I think his assessment remains depressingly accurate.

This isn't the article I read, but here are some of Rupert Everett's thoughts on the issue (got this off of uk.gay.com - 2004) --

"Rupert Everett has spoken out against the "trophy" film industry, claiming his sexuality has held him back from being cast in major films.

The out star of My Best Friend's Wedding and Shrek 2 said in the interview with US site about.com that being gay has hampered his progress in the industry.

"I was never allowed to go on to the next step," he said of his post My Best Friend's Wedding career.

"Because, I think in a trophy business, you can maybe be black but you can't, definitely not yet, be gay."

He says the knock on effect of this is "ups and downs", which he admits drives him "furious furious".

"You could end up a basket case easily. I have a bike and I bicycle around a lot and I find myself just arguing, not just with myself, with studio heads, business managers, people about work. It can make you angry," he says.

He also said the rumours of him becoming a gay James Bond would come to nothing, saying he would rather "play it straight anyway".

"The next step would be to play a major leading straight role in a movie," he said of his career plans, but warned that "they would burn down MGM if they got a gay actor to play James Bond"."

« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 05:17:50 pm by amy7769 »

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 05:16:01 pm »
Sorry, Chris, I forgot about your crush on Julia.

I didn't realize John Hurt is gay. He's the actor from Michael?
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 05:19:41 pm »

LOL....no worries! 

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 05:31:20 pm »
Well in my local newspaper tv highlights for the evening, it notes RUPERT EVERETT is narrating PARAGRAPH 175 on HBO. Actually it was at 10:00AM this morning. Sorry. 

So he's doing narration now.   :(

vkm91941

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 05:41:11 pm »

No he's the actor from V is for Vendetta and Alien and he's been married t 4 different WOMEN...doesn't sound gay, maybe he's Bi

Ann Rees Meyers (March 2005 - present)
Jo Dalton (24 January 1990 - 1996) (divorced) 2 children
Donna Peacock (6 September 1984 - 1990) (divorced)
Annette Robertson (1962 - 1964) (divorced)