Author Topic: James Brown's Passing  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
James Brown's Passing
« on: December 30, 2006, 04:54:13 pm »
Apparently there are not many fans of the "Godfather of Soul". I can't say that I am a fan either, however it is a passing of note ...

During my week away, I hardly heard any news. They played the theme from "Rocky (5?)" on the (mostly) french music radio channel during the holidays (which I found odd), and I listened to the national news once, and not a mention of his passing.

Had to google his name to get some details, as my local (Toronto) radio channel spoke mostly of the Apollo vigil.

He passed in the early morning of December 26 at the age of 73.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

Re: James Brown's Passing
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 04:56:42 pm »
there has been quite a bit of coverage here in the States...got kinda overshadowed when Ford passed away but they still are giving some coverage...

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 04:59:53 pm »
I love his music ..
May he R I P ..

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 05:04:55 pm »
I really liked James Brown. He became sort of a folk hero back int he 80's and early 90's when he got in trouble with the law for trying to evade arrest while high on PCP I think. There were "Free James Brown" T-shirts and bumperstickers. People knew he had done wrong, but he was James Brown for crying out loud, you couldn't lock up the Godfather of Soul.

What really saddens me is the fight already going betwixt his long time companion and mother of his young son, and his lawyers, had it not been for Gerald Ford's passing the media would have already turned it into a circus.

My favorite memory of his is not even my own, but that of my sister when she first solo'd in a small plane, high above the James River shouting at the top of her lungs: "I feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel good! I knew that I would now!"
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 04:24:45 pm »
"I feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel good! I knew that I would now!"

That song is the epitome of up.  I love it and have performed my own rendition many times.  It's my Happy Dance.  :)