Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain Radio  (Read 60066 times)

Offline Suffused

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Brokeback Mountain Radio
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2006, 11:41:37 pm »
Been telling everyone about your radio station.  I see you like Dido...her Worthless is awesome.

I know why you're coming
And I know when you'll leave
When you do leave
Please take my heart
Without you, it is worthless to me

Thank you, again
...he is suffused with a sense of pleasure, because Jack Twist was in his dreams.

Offline Suffused

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Jose Padilla
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2006, 02:37:02 pm »
Adios Ayer....great song, too.
...he is suffused with a sense of pleasure, because Jack Twist was in his dreams.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2006, 05:25:09 pm »
OK, here are a few songs off the top of my head. 
  • Crowded House - How Will You Go. Great harmonies, very melancholy.
  • k.d. lang - So It Shall Be.  The whole Ingenue record was about an unrequited love, and this one's my favorite song.  Close second is Outside Myself.
  • Billy Bragg - The Only One.  Pretty, acoustic love song, he's an awesome songwriter and romantic in a complicated way.
  • Coldplay - I Bloom Blaum.  Very short B-side, but has a beautiful guitar line.
  • Joan Osborne - Do I Ever Cross Your Mind.  Fantastic cover of a Dolly Parton tune; Joan is such an underrated singer.
  • The Aluminum Group - Sweet Child O' Mine.  This is the best version of this song that I know.  I love it when he gets to the part about breaking down and crying.
  • Rufus Wainwright - Waiting For A Dream.  He's got so many gorgeous songs, but this one from his last record to me fits in so well with the BBM soundtrack.
  • Vladimir Cosma - Sentimental Walk (second version).  This is from the soundtrack to Diva, an 80s French film.  It's a perfect walking-in-the-rain number, and this version is a little longer than the first.
  • Amy Winehouse - (There Is) No Greater Love. Sweet, short acoustic song from a new English singer.
  • Joni Mitchell - Paprika Plains (Remix).  Beautiful new version of a classic opus. Another great song from her later period is Two Grey Rooms.  From her earlier period, I would also say Down To You from Court & Spark.
  • Phoebe Snow - Two Fisted Love. Great song, great voice.  The line "My baby's out there..." makes me think of the movie.
  • Ray LaMontagne - All The Wild Horses. I remember a post on some board saying this was in an early version of the BBM preview. Whether it's true or not, I've grown to love it.
Whew!  OK, I guess that's enough for now!  If you want mp3s of any of the songs, let me know.  And thanks again for all you do Phil.
Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2006, 07:50:25 pm »
Been telling everyone about your radio station.  I see you like Dido...her Worthless is awesome.

Dido's song was one of the harder choices I made to add to the latest playlist.  Her song really isn't in the flavor of the film itself, but I chose it for the lyrics and because it is the last song on the rotation before it starts at the beginning again.  It sort of evokes a "wrap-up" to the radio program.  I could imagine it running during the credits on a film like this.  There are a few songs that I add to the playlist strictly because of the lyrics, not the sound or feel.  I will check out Worthless and see if it can get added to the list down the road.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2006, 07:56:54 pm »
OK, here are a few songs off the top of my head. 
  • Crowded House - How Will You Go. Great harmonies, very melancholy.
  • k.d. lang - So It Shall Be.  The whole Ingenue record was about an unrequited love, and this one's my favorite song.  Close second is Outside Myself.

Wow... thanks for the big list of tracks!  I just rotated off a k.d. Lang song from that same album.  It's hard for me to tell how many people vote up or down on a track on the live365 player (they make you pay more if you want those statistics), but her earlier track was one of the lower-rated so it went off this past week.  There is definite opportunitites to try other stuff though.

As far as some of the other tracks go, I've seen Coldplay referenced on a few forums.  It's hard to add contemporary/alternative tracks into the mix without them sounding jarring to the "feel" of the film, which means a more "country" feel.  But I tried Dido, so as time goes on, I might slip some more in and see what people think.  I am trying to aim to adjust the playlist every five days or so, adding/deleting a few tracks.

My biggest problem remains the instrumentals.  They are very hard to find, and I am hoping to get more so I can rotate a few of those more tired ones off for something else.

If I can't find those tracks you suggested, I'll be in touch to get them from you.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2006, 11:07:28 pm »
Absolutely!  Let me know if you need any of them.  And the Coldplay track is definitely a pretty mellow, acoustic sounding one.  Hope the list is helpful.

Juan
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 11:14:16 pm by JCinNYC2006 »
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Suffused

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2006, 06:40:05 pm »
Don't know if you are playing Adios Ayer in response to my post, but I like it on BBM Radio...am listening to it right now.  I play it in my cafe, and get lotsa comments.  Thanks

Offline Peter John Shields

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • On a river bank.
    • My web page.
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2006, 02:27:16 am »
Hi Phillip,
You know I song that is quite recent but I think has a country feel and also a sorrowful Brokeback feel is Photograph by Nickleback,
Also the film clip is filmed in Hanna Alberta,

Also I think the song from the Phillips Bravia TV ad - Heartbeats - is a beautiful song covered by Jose Gonzalez - but maybe the original by The Knife is good too (haven't heard the original myself).  I listen to this at work and was listening to it - as well as Photograph when I first saw Brokeback - so both songs relate to Brokeback for me now.

This is a website where you can hear the song from the ad:
http://www.bravia-advert.com/index.html

I have developed a real interest in country music too Phillip - I can really appreciate it for the first time - and I think one of my favourite songs from the sound track is Steve Earl Devils Right Hand

I can't listen to the radio station myself due to a fire wall at work but thanks for all your work Phillip,

Stripey
Cheerio,
PJ

Offline Peter John Shields

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • On a river bank.
    • My web page.
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2006, 04:42:12 am »
Sorry - I meant the Sony Bravia TV ad, ::)

Stripey
Cheerio,
PJ

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2006, 09:01:32 pm »
I had shared this on the Chez Tremblay board and someone mentioned that you might want it for BBM Radio.

http://rapidshare.de/files/16834152/Quizas_quizas_quisas.zip.html

It's the beautiful spanish song playing during Jack's venture into Mexico. I don't know who originally composed the song, but it's Gustavo Santaolalla's arrangement, and performed by Rick Garcia.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.