Author Topic: Pictures stolen from time  (Read 6881 times)

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Pictures stolen from time
« on: January 01, 2007, 11:37:29 pm »
It hit me the other day how easy it is to watch the film the same way every time - focusing on the same things, maybe missing the same things.  Because so many things are happening visually, aurally, intellectually and emotionally, it gets easy to follow a familiar selective track based on prior viewings.

Unless you are always pausing the film to look carefully, or to follow a thought, a lot gets missed.

One thing I noticed was always dissolving into a beautiful blur was the cinematography.  I find I have only approximate saved mental images from a lot of shots which last only only a few seconds.  Especially with that distracting score playing!  Images are the one element of the film it is probably easiest to freeze and hold.

So I am starting this thread for myself, and for anyone else who has had this experience, simply to post screencaps of scenes that WON'T sit still on their own to be admired, but which I am DETERMINED to make sit still. 

...To post screencaps with or without comment as the spirit moves.

I am getting mine from a store many of us are familiar with, Striped Wall,

http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/index.php?cat=11

Others may know of other sources, or may make their own.

Rather than copying off the images to a pictures server and linking to the image file, I will probably just provide the URL to the fullsize version of the picture.  Quick and easy.  I find the fullsize picture I want, copy the .jpg name from its properties, and copy that into the post.  You do have to click on the link that way to see them, but are spared the Photobucket step.  When I click the pictures come up midsized, but go nearly fullscreen when I maximize the popup.

Here are three from the mountain:

http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?pos=-151692
http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?pos=-151970
http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?pos=-152217

Note from Phillip: Edited links so they should now work properly.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 10:41:50 am by Phillip »

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Pictures stolen from time
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 11:48:53 pm »
Oops, Andrew - I'm getting some Error 404 Not Found for the last 3 links in your previous post  :-\ .  I agree that stripedwall is probably the best source for screencaps, tho.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 01:50:25 am »
It's weird (same error too) - I found that if you actually copy and paste the links, they work - but not when clicked on...
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 10:42:09 am »
I fixed the links.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 01:17:49 am »
Those are some nice screen caps!  :D

Too bad they don't have a 'slideshow' feature.  You could watch the whole movie as a screencap slideshow!  :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 01:20:45 am by sfericsf »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 01:25:02 pm »
Nice idea for a thread, Andrew!  8)

There's a Czech website (http://www.eusebius.cz/photos.php?fid=220&cid=1) that has a number of hi-res (dial-ups beware) photos, some of which aren't actually in the movie.  This one has some CGI mountains, but is really nice:

http://www.bioscop.cz/_web/_filmy/b_zkrocena_hora/fotografie/038_zkrocena_hora.jpg
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 01:31:32 pm by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 01:26:51 pm »
This one is the scene where Jack looks over the flock by moonlight.  They darkened it and added the moon later:
http://www.bioscop.cz/_web/_filmy/b_zkrocena_hora/fotografie/108_zkrocena_hora.jpg
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 01:29:55 pm »
Great idea.  I'll be back with some.

Those first two of yours, Andrew, I think I try not to pay attention to because precipices make me nervous.  The third one, of the lone pup tent surrounded by endless snow, always really gets me.  What a symbol of Ennis.  If only he could have been willing to stick the number 17 on that pup tent in '63, how different life would have been.  (Ridiculous to even think about, I know.)

Meryl, I had forgotten about that Czech website!  I like seeing that one dog working the sheep in the first shot.  I am thinking that is not really Heath and Jake in that shot.  What do you all think?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 01:34:15 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 02:24:01 pm by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 06:26:42 pm »
Question: How does one make "screen caps" (I assume this means capture) if you're watching the movie on your computer? Thanks.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 06:30:20 pm »
I depends on the software that you've got. WinDVD can make screencaps (even in the free version that I've got, though I've heard that there are better versions that you can pay for). There's an icon that looks like a camera on my version of WinDVD; I just click it and it captures the frame.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 08:48:18 am »
Question: How does one make "screen caps" (I assume this means capture) if you're watching the movie on your computer? Thanks.

My computer makes a big deal out of not being allowed to do it.  :(

Offline Andrew

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 10:16:53 pm »
THIS is an extreme example of an image you don't see in the same way when you see the film at normal speed.

Two bodies frozen in movement, and the eye is compelled to look back and forth to set up a relationship between two similar but different body postures.   You may even experience an implied progression from one to the other as with a kinetoscope, after your eye goes back and forth a few times.

The stunt actor who stands in for Jake actually is a quite acceptable match in this particular screen capture, I think.  As good as any they were likely to get.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 11:37:31 pm by Andrew »

Offline Andrew

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 11:38:08 pm »
Apparently posting the same picture the following way doesn't work?
 I grabbed the .jpg name from the properties of the large picture you get when you click the Striped Wall thumbnail.  I then pasted that here and clicked on the picture button as usual.   I can see it when I preview my post, but Jess said she couldn't.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 01:33:05 am »
I didn't see it before, but I see it now.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 03:08:46 am »
I can see the picture in both of them.  The first is the .jpg on the picture server, DivShare; the second is the .jpg on the Striped Wall site.  It's all a little mysterious - I don't see why I would stand in a different relationship with Striped Wall from anyone else.  Someday I hope to read something that explains how it all works.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 01:22:58 am »
Here's that great open sky and open road in the early scene, just like Jack's and Ennis' lives at that point, big spaces waiting to have the joy and sorrow written on them.

Offline Garry_LH

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 05:13:33 pm »
Big open spaces for sure... Though, that old rusty pickup settin out in the grass is what drew my attention when I first saw that scene. BBM is a time warp, that truck wouldn't have existed in 63. More like 64 or 65, when it was brand new. Ahhh... well... Really old iron to fill up the backgrounds would have ended up costing more than the whole film's budget.
It could be like this, just like this... always.

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 10:32:50 am »
I depends on the software that you've got. WinDVD can make screencaps (even in the free version that I've got, though I've heard that there are better versions that you can pay for). There's an icon that looks like a camera on my version of WinDVD; I just click it and it captures the frame.

or just press "P" on the keyboard.   The space bar 'pauses' and you can step frame by frame with the "N" key.  I have WinDVD 7, it came with DVDcopy.  It also supports my soundcard (Creative X-Fi) for Dolby 5.1

peace :)
br. patrick
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin