Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain inspired Fan Fic recommendations  (Read 32565 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Brokeback Mountain inspired Fan Fic recommendations
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:17:24 am »
It's a big world with all kinds of people and tastes. Since we have a thread with recommendations for E/J fics, I think it appropriate to have one for stories that fall outside that genre. I am finding that stories that I never thought I'd like for whatever reason, have become some of my absolute favorites. That just says it is time (for me) to explore a bit further outside my fantasy zone.

Any recommendations?

O0

Heathen

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Brokeback Mountain inspired Fan Fic recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 06:39:21 am »
The sleeper hit for me was "Tainted Evidence."  I think besides the quality of the writing and the chock-full-o dialogue style (I prefer to write and read dialogue, myself, which makes the characters more vivid), the fact that the Ennis we know from Brokeback seemed to have a natural fit to a hard-bitten New York detective with that bristly undercurrent of closeted need we all know so well.

lowermanhattan.livejournal.com

still "in progress"

PS . uh oh. I guess this IS an "Ennis and Jack" fic.  But it is outside of the BBM setting.  Er.  Well, maybe the rec is good for something!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 06:42:21 am by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

mvansand76

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 09:44:38 am »
I am finding that stories that I never thought I'd like for whatever reason, have become some of my absolute favorites.

Any recommendations?

Well, that would be Shades of Grey by Midwest Girl. Definitely. But I think everybody has already read that.  :)

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 10:16:23 am »
She's already got a thread but please everyone read Bailey's I'll Be Seeing You... anything by Bailey really is a good read, but she gets better with each continual story. Check it out!  :)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 06:45:46 pm »

Shades of Grey is a perfect example of what I was saying. I avoided it like the plague and then, on the recommendation of Mandy, I read it. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

I think I'm almost ready to read some sad (Ennis) fic  :'(

O0

Heathen

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 07:15:43 pm »
well actually... I read the first dozen or so chapters of Shades of Grey....

SPOILER!

*when the thumb came off I couldn't go on!*
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

one_of_one

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 06:53:48 am »
*when the thumb came off I couldn't go on!*

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but I can understand!

merrobot

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 08:24:33 am »
I would add "Ed and Hank" which had me fooled into thinking it was a happy little fic until it started to tackle all sorts of big issues for the main characters.  The author is also one of the most creative I've come across using postcards and pictures to make up some of the chapters.

Very different kind of story and one that I'm really enjoying reading:

http://myeyesaintblue.livejournal.com/456.html

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 08:58:59 am »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but I can understand!

you know, I knew you would laugh... I knew that.

mvansand76

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 09:36:20 am »

you know, I knew you would laugh... I knew that.

So, you didn't finish it?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 11:47:27 am »
nope, never did.  I stopped dead at the specific paragraph in question and did not go on.

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 12:19:18 pm »
nope, never did.  I stopped dead at the specific paragraph in question and did not go on.

:o Really? You are really missing something!

one_of_one

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 04:00:53 pm »
You sure are Louise....Jack gets his fingernails extracted and loses a kidney in later chapters....

;D

Seriously, it's a good fic, Louise, you missed out by not continuing.   :)

mvansand76

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 04:06:07 pm »
You sure are Louise....Jack gets his fingernails extracted and loses a kidney in later chapters....

Uhm thanks Helen for the image in my head.... :(

;)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 05:12:52 pm »

;D

Seriously, it's a good fic, Louise, you missed out by not continuing.   :)

LOL! Well, that's one way to get someone to read a fic  ;)

Seriously though, you really should try it again, it was a brilliant story!  :)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 05:28:40 pm »
Uhm thanks Helen for the image in my head.... :(

;)

Heh heh

;D

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 06:18:26 pm »
no thanks. I dont read and I don't watch things that include torture.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 06:28:43 pm »
As a rec (because I've been thinking about it today...)

How about The Wolf and the Thunderbird by Kumari.

Like SOG, before I got into AU!AU I would have heard the premise of this and ran the other way. It's J/E (but it seems like that's okay to rec here?). It takes place in 70's texas. Jack is a 17 year old runaway, making his living as a prostitute. Ennis is the hard working, poor sort who works at a gas station/truck stop where Jack winds up for a while turning tricks. They meet and....

K.E. features prominently in a really unique way, I've never seen him used in a fic like this. He and his wife, as well as the del Mar background, are all incredibly intriguing. And the story has a real first love, I want to explore everything about you innocence in the parts between J/E that is so incredibly well written. (Nobody's Angel is a good one for first love innocence as well.)

Jack's youth, to me, is heartbreaking in this fic... I'll rustle up a link!  :)

edit: here's a link to the first chapter  ;D http://debutante9.livejournal.com/2598.html
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 06:31:30 pm by littleguitar »

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 06:55:07 pm »
I love the Wolf and the Thunderbird too, Mandy. And as you know I've been asking about updates to it!

I really really LOVE KE in this one. I LOVE it that he isn't the bad guy in this fic  :)

Jack AND Ennis are both heartbreaking in this fic. I'll never forget the scene where Ennis walked in on Jack at the gas station  :( Do you remember that?

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 07:00:37 pm »
Do you remember that?

oh god yes... that was hard. And the following scene when Jack goes to ask Ennis' forgiveness and his confession about his dad  :'(

Ennis is reallly unique in this fic, too. This fic constantly reminds me of his line "You may be a sinner but I ain't yet had the opportunity"... I keep calling it innocence because I don't know what else to call it, but I think she's really captured Ennis.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 07:10:45 pm »
oh god yes... that was hard. And the following scene when Jack goes to ask Ennis' forgiveness and his confession about his dad  :'(

Ennis is reallly unique in this fic, too. This fic constantly reminds me of his line "You may be a sinner but I ain't yet had the opportunity"... I keep calling it innocence because I don't know what else to call it, but I think she's really captured Ennis.

Oh yeah Mandy, you're so spot on about that line! And oh fuck that was so hard about his dad. Jesus  :(

Just like NA Jack and Ennis, I often feel like hugging them all the time

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 10:32:59 am »
Here's one that has just three chapters so far but takes a unique approach:

"Bookends",  http://kittykimono.livejournal.com/#item346

The main character is Jack's granddaughter and the story is told in two "parallel universes": one where Ennis and Jack try out Jack's plan to live together in Lightning Flat, and the other with the original ending. If the first chapter doesn't totally hook you, the second will!

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 01:51:59 pm »
Hi RouxB -
Ready for some Sad!Ennis ? I posted three recommendations on threads in Fan Fic & Poetry: "Widower for One Year" (several chapters finished but incomplete) and "Roots" both by 271horses. "Roots" is complete. "Roots" is the story of Earl & Rich, a topic I would have avoided maybe but I think 271horses (AJ) is amazing. His style is "no frills" which echoes the starkness of the story he's writing. His loving scenes between Earl & Rich are not graphic but beautiful and sensual. It fills in the blank of "why did Ennis's father show him Earl's body"?

I liked "Nobody's Angel" but I found so many inaccuracies in her story that I couldn't continue reading it; it was too distracting.

"Shades of Grey" I avoided for a long time but really loved it. If you go to the "Shades of Grey" thread here on Fan Fic you will see that I contributed many photos of SoG Jack at that site.

I would recommend anything by Maggie, b73. If you are ready for some angst, try "Catch the Westbound" trilogy. Maggie is an excellent writer & captures the spark btwn. Ennis and Jack perfectly, in many different settings. For some relief from the angst, try "Del Mar Painting," again a story I avoided because I thought, a story about painting!? WTF But it's great fun, very layered, sexy and loving. Again I contributed photos to that thread.

You have probably already read them, but of course I would recommend Mandy's "That Little Bit of Hope" and "Just by Looking at You."

:) cc33 / Leslie

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 01:56:54 pm »
I forgot to recommend "Riding Fence" by no_reins/Lucian. He's an excellent, "no frills" writer like 271horses. Part One is complete, part two, "Riding Fence/An Uneventful Life" is in progress. For a story about how Ennis copes after Jack's death I would recommend this and "Widower for One Year." (see separate thread for links)

Leslie.

mvansand76

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 02:09:09 pm »

I liked "Nobody's Angel" but I found so many inaccuracies in her story that I couldn't continue reading it; it was too distracting.

What kind of inaccuracies? 

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 02:11:19 pm »
Oh, I whole-heartedly second the rec of "Widower for One Year". Even if there's been no update since June I keep checking in the vain hope that there'll eventually be one. The flashbacks are wonderful (and hot) and Ennis's increasing despair and loneliness are sad but amazingly well portrayed, the "everyday life goes on and is never easy" descriptions are so good - though also very bleak....! And I *so* need to know what happens to (grandson) Ennis now, and whether he'll be able to confide in - and emotionally reconnect with - his "pop"!

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 02:17:16 pm »
"Nobody's Angel" takes place in the early 1950s, a time when there were no cineplexes, big TVs, remote controls, purple band-aids, beer in cans, and people took baths, not showers. If you ate chocolate cake on a sofa it would stain forever. I don't believe a man would run up to another man in public and say, "I forgot to kiss you!" Mustang cars were not manufactured and introduced until 1964. I know, I know, I'm a petty nit-picker. However, there was something in every chapter that was not correct and it was too distracting to me; I couldn't over look it. I'm glad other people are enjoying her story though.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2007, 02:22:32 pm »
Oh, I whole-heartedly second the rec of "Widower for One Year". Even if there's been no update since June I keep checking in the vain hope that there'll eventually be one. The flashbacks are wonderful (and hot) and Ennis's increasing despair and loneliness are sad but amazingly well portrayed, the "everyday life goes on and is never easy" descriptions are so good - though also very bleak....! And I *so* need to know what happens to (grandson) Ennis now, and whether he'll be able to confide in - and emotionally reconnect with - his "pop"!

You are right on. I agree 100% with your description. Will grandson Ennis meet grandson Jack?? I LOVE the relationship between "Pop" Ennis and his grandson, Ennis.

******** POSSIBLE SPOILER ****************

a passage that haunts me:

As slaps went it wasn’t much, he’d had worse, given better, his ear stung a little but it was his grandfather. Tears ran with mucus down his throat reminding him disgustingly of chicken soup. He let himself have one sob then brutally stuffed a lid on it. He was twelve and did not cry. All he did was ask. Pop said looks like it’s goin a be a scorcher, do me a favor and get that straw hat, boy, top shelf a the closet and there were two shirts hanging there on the door and it looked like blood on the cuff. All he done was asked, picked up the crusty sleeve, what’s this Pop and felt the blow on the side of his head, the terrible voice, DON’T YOU EVER TOUCH THAT and he took off into the weeds, everything bright and slanty with his tears. from "Widower for One Year" by 271horses

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2007, 02:34:34 pm »
"Nobody's Angel" takes place in the early 1950s, a time when there were no cineplexes, big TVs, remote controls, purple band-aids, beer in cans, and people took baths, not showers. If you ate chocolate cake on a sofa it would stain forever. I don't believe a man would run up to another man in public and say, "I forgot to kiss you!" Mustang cars were not manufactured and introduced until 1964. I know, I know, I'm a petty nit-picker. However, there was something in every chapter that was not correct and it was too distracting to me; I couldn't over look it. I'm glad other people are enjoying her story though.

I haven't read that story so I am not familiar with it, but these kind of details (or inaccuracies) can drive me bonkers. My story (A Love Born From Steel) takes place in 1976 and I spent alot of time trying to make things accurate to time and place. There is only one thing that is more 2006 than 1976...the description of hospice. And I did that on purpose.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

one_of_one

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2007, 02:57:30 pm »
I have a big advantage then with NA in that I'm not American and have no idea what you guys did or didn't have in the 1950's. :)  Which is good because it's my favourite fic. :)  My only real quibble is that the del Mars sometimes have towels instead of inner doors but sometimes have doors; it changes about quite a bit *grin*  But I just love it so much, and love Ennis and his brothers :) .....And Jack, too, of course!

I loved Widower too but the only things I can remember from it now because it's been so long is that Ennis the grandson discovered he was gay when he saw Ty's back in the car and that at the end of the last chapter he was really sad because he'd lost Ty as a friend.  And that Ennis asked him if it was about a girl.  Oh, and the Siesta Motel being demolished.

I so enjoyed Roots, and to be honest I think I'm probably not going to pick up any new fic until it's complete because I have such a bad memory.  The ones I have read as complete, such as Roots, If I Asked and A Love Born from Steel have been a much better read for me solely because I've been able to follow everything, read it more or less all at once and most importantly remember what the heck happens!

mvansand76

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2007, 03:23:08 pm »

I understand. It doesn't distract me because I have no clue about the 50s and she could get away with anything as far as I am concerned (well except saying that they went to see Jurassic park together in the cinema), probably because I am Dutch and did not grow up in America or the 50s!  ;)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2007, 03:33:20 pm »
And this is why I love the plethora of fics we have available...there is always something for everyone's taste. If you don't like something, it is easy enough to drop it and move on to something else.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2007, 07:48:27 pm »
I understand. It doesn't distract me because I have no clue about the 50s and she could get away with anything as far as I am concerned  (well except saying that they went to see Jurassic park together in the cinema), probably because I am Dutch and did not grow up in America or the 50s!  ;)

Same here, Mel!  :)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2007, 08:42:06 pm »
"Roots" On this page.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2007, 11:27:12 pm »
"Nobody's Angel" takes place in the early 1950s, a time when there were no cineplexes, big TVs, remote controls, purple band-aids, beer in cans, and people took baths, not showers. If you ate chocolate cake on a sofa it would stain forever. I don't believe a man would run up to another man in public and say, "I forgot to kiss you!" Mustang cars were not manufactured and introduced until 1964.

Unfashionable as considering historical accuracy important apparently is, reading that would drive me absolutely insane. A little like having two ancient Roman centurions calling each other "dude."

merrobot

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2007, 09:52:22 am »
Unfashionable as considering historical accuracy important apparently is, reading that would drive me absolutely insane. A little like having two ancient Roman centurions calling each other "dude."

Actually, I agree with you, Marge.  I think in this day and age of Wikipedia and Google (although even they aren't 100% reliable  ::)), there really is no excuse for writers to make huge, glaring errors.  However, I think sometimes writers do make little slips, after all they are only human, particularly if they haven't lived in the particular time and/or place.  That's where it can be really handy to be able to leave comments on LJ - I found it really helpful to have readers leave me comments about time and place that I could take on board and use to shape future chapters.  So maybe rather than just ditching stories, readers could leave constructive feedback.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2007, 11:17:56 am »
Actually, I agree with you, Marge.  I think in this day and age of Wikipedia and Google (although even they aren't 100% reliable  ::)), there really is no excuse for writers to make huge, glaring errors.  However, I think sometimes writers do make little slips, after all they are only human, particularly if they haven't lived in the particular time and/or place.  That's where it can be really handy to be able to leave comments on LJ - I found it really helpful to have readers leave me comments about time and place that I could take on board and use to shape future chapters.  So maybe rather than just ditching stories, readers could leave constructive feedback.

I agree... positive feedback is amazing, but there seems to be a general rule in fan fiction that it's positive feedback or no feedback at all. But constructive criticism can be a really good thing and I think especially with a story like Nobody's Angel where the story is so good, somebody should point those things out so that they can be fixed and people don't drop it all together.

It can also be helpful for other readers... those of us who didn't notice the errors. I'm too trusting when it comes to writers apparently, I expect them to have done the research so it didn't even cross my mind that things might be out of place.

Lucky for me (or maybe unlucky, because I do consider historical accuracy important) that I didn't live in the 50's and I can read on blissfully unaware... because I do love this story so much.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2007, 11:37:01 am »
I agree... positive feedback is amazing, but there seems to be a general rule in fan fiction that it's positive feedback or no feedback at all. But constructive criticism can be a really good thing and I think especially with a story like Nobody's Angel where the story is so good, somebody should point those things out so that they can be fixed and people don't drop it all together.

It can also be helpful for other readers... those of us who didn't notice the errors. I'm too trusting when it comes to writers apparently, I expect them to have done the research so it didn't even cross my mind that things might be out of place.Lucky for me (or maybe unlucky, because I do consider historical accuracy important) that I didn't live in the 50's and I can read on blissfully unaware... because I do love this story so much.

Oh God, Mandy, Helen and I have had so many discussions about this!! About how hard it is to actually come out and say things that weren't to your liking cause, among others, you often get jumped on by other readers!! And that really is such a shame. As long as it's not hurtful or nasty why shouldn't you be able to bring up things you thought were a little bit off? I know I don't cause I've seen what kind of reactions you get  :( And that would just totally stress me out. I found it quite hard to tell you how I thought about Jack and Ennis having sex right next to Bobby in the motel room; I thought about if I should tell you for the longest time but I'm glad I eventually did ( and usually I never do)  and I was so happy you took it so well  :)

Me too and yeah I'm glad I can read on unaware cause of my extreme love for this story too. But of course now I do know that all is not accurate it does make me a little sad I guess.....but I'll never let it stop me from continuing with it  :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 11:46:06 am by Bigheart »

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2007, 11:53:04 am »
Seriously June, any and all constructive criticism is welcome on my stories. Believe me... after years of writing workshops where you pretty much only hear the negative aspects of your writing I've built up a really thick skin... I didn't mind you saying that about that part of my story at all! I had wondered while writing it how it would sit and because you were honest I know and will most likely rework it in revision.

Of course, I can't say what other readers will do... but if they were to jump on you I would step in. It is really hard with fan fiction and I'm the same way, I've noticed myself just not commenting if there is something that doesn't sit right.

Also, just for myself, only getting positive feedback makes for really lazy writing, because I get in the groove of "everybody likes my story, yay!"

There are so many problems with TLBoH that I cringe sometimes when I think about it and one day I'm going to go back and revise the hell out of it  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2007, 11:59:10 am »
If I can take off the moderator hat for a moment and tell you a bit about my own thoughts on constructive criticism:

Most fan fic writers are amateurs.  Some of them have never written anything before in their lives, and something about the inspiration they feel from a work leads them to write a fan fic.  As a result, they are writing more from the love of the original work, than they are trying to polish something up for a readership, so "your results may vary" as far as quality goes.

Fan fiction writing is an act of appreciation by fans, and it is easy to fall into either a) unabashed praise and 'squee' as it is often called, or b) blanket disregard for the story if it does not the reader's "vision" of say, in this case, Jack and Ennis. There are also little sub-genres of work based upon how the subject is approached, what the pairing is, and if it is alternate-universe or uses the canon ending of the story.

The general suggestion we try to make here is to feel out the author if you wish to help them improve a story you enjoy but may contain some errors you notice.  This is best done on their LJ if they have announced their story as "Feedback and comments welcome."  That means the author is looking for suggestions.

As far as my own personal preferences, I am always grateful when someone has a point of fact to correct in my story:  I lived through the early 1980's - but I did not live in Wyoming during the 80's, and so I have to do a certain amount of research, some of which is not authoritative, and some of it, while traveling as I am, if it is not available on the Net, I can't get to it.  So this is where reader feedback of a constructive nature, can help.  Many authors go through the helpful step of having a "beta reader" who makes suggestions and constructive comments/edits on a story before it gets put on LJ.

Our policy here is for the author to state whether constructive criticism is welcome on their individual story threads, but the most helpful way of course, is to send a pm and say "I had a few thoughts and some suggestions, would you like them?"  that way the author knows you are trying to help, and may have some valuable assistance to give them - FOR FREE!

I once had a reader leave several comments on my LJ saying "Nobody in Wyoming says 'warsh' - you made a mistake there" and I replied that I was using the dialects as I found them in "Brokeback Mountain" - Ennis says 'warsh' twice and Jack says 'warsh' once, and they come from opposite ends of Wyoming.  Since Annie Proulx lives there I took her word for the dialect.  But the reader knew best and insisted I was wrong!  That is not necessarily a constructive criticism, though, but more of an argument on what constituted "proper" dialect for the area.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2007, 12:09:57 pm »
Seriously June, any and all constructive criticism is welcome on my stories. Believe me... after years of writing workshops where you pretty much only hear the negative aspects of your writing I've built up a really thick skin... I didn't mind you saying that about that part of my story at all! I had wondered while writing it how it would sit and because you were honest I know and will most likely rework it in revision.

Of course, I can't say what other readers will do... but if they were to jump on you I would step in. It is really hard with fan fiction and I'm the same way, I've noticed myself just not commenting if there is something that doesn't sit right.Also, just for myself, only getting positive feedback makes for really lazy writing, because I get in the groove of "everybody likes my story, yay!"

There are so many problems with TLBoH that I cringe sometimes when I think about it and one day I'm going to go back and revise the hell out of it  :)

Yeah, I had that the other day with one I've been reading and commenting on all along. It was just off to me and believe me I'm an easy reader, not all that picky at all. I just didnt comment on it. Maybe I should, I don't know. I just find it hard especially if everybody loves what I thought was off.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2007, 12:11:09 pm »

Also, just for myself, only getting positive feedback makes for really lazy writing, because I get in the groove of "everybody likes my story, yay!"

absolutely true... it isnt all about liking a story.. especially if one of the reasons you are writing is to learn more and improve.

Everybody can use an edit... when I published a novel at last in print, I had two editors go at it separately and independently, and one of them found such a glaring tic in the text that I felt like kissing her feet for findiing it. I would NOT want to notice that after it got printed!  You might want to make sure on your fic announcements you say "Feedback and Constructive Criticism Welcome" so that people who are good at noticing the glitches can start giving you their free help.  Leslie has been a tremendous help in that department and so has Betty (yb) who seems to catch things I never see, and whips them off to me as soon as the chapter posts.  And I keep thinking... one of these days, I'm going back for a complete revise of all of this stuff!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2007, 12:51:09 pm »
absolutely true... it isnt all about liking a story.. especially if one of the reasons you are writing is to learn more and improve.

Everybody can use an edit... when I published a novel at last in print, I had two editors go at it separately and independently, and one of them found such a glaring tic in the text that I felt like kissing her feet for findiing it. I would NOT want to notice that after it got printed!  You might want to make sure on your fic announcements you say "Feedback and Constructive Criticism Welcome" so that people who are good at noticing the glitches can start giving you their free help.  Leslie has been a tremendous help in that department and so has Betty (yb) who seems to catch things I never see, and whips them off to me as soon as the chapter posts.  And I keep thinking... one of these days, I'm going back for a complete revise of all of this stuff!

I know exactly how that is... and sometimes it really does take another set of eyes because the writer has read over their story so many times that they start reading what they want it to say and not what it actually does say.  And like you said, I'm all for writing to learn and improve. Especially because I've noticed the laziness seaping into my original writing.

Yeah, I had that the other day with one I've been reading and commenting on all along. It was just off to me and believe me I'm an easy reader, not all that picky at all. I just didnt comment on it. Maybe I should, I don't know. I just find it hard especially if everybody loves what I thought was off.

That happened to me recently too June, and with a really popular story... I found myself leaving just a few lines of comment where I usually leave a lot more. Then I was angry with myself for not just speaking up, especially because I think this author really wouldn't have minded. *shrug* But, like Louise says, everyone here was so inspired by brokeback and writes with so much care and love that sometimes I just don't want to say anything to ruin it.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2007, 02:59:59 pm »
Very interesting discussion.

Especially to me who is a reader only and never a fic writer, at least not in relation to BBM.

My policy in leaving feedback has always been that there's too much negativity in the world as it is, so I make sure to leave a positive comment, giving details on the aspects that I liked, when a fic touches my heart or tickles my funny bone for that matter. Otherwise I just keep mum and pass it by in silence. The authors work so hard on their stories, invest so much effort and time and care, - they try their very best - and all of it is a tribute to the original that inspired it. So who am I to tell people their effort isn't good enough or doesn't meet my (after all clearly subjective) criteria?

However, I've been a beta a couple of times and though I am careful to be balanced in my opinions and to always point to the stuff that works and the good aspects , as a beta I'm also entirely candid in pointing to errors, things that do not work, inconsistencies etc. be it in plot, characterization, timeline, writing style etc. and to explain and discuss my opinion further if necessary.

This happened to me recently when one very popular fics that I had invested a lot of interest and enthusiasm in turned out a chapter that to me nearly ruined the entire fic. It was off in characterization for several important OCs and in important parts of the plot taking a turn for the realm of unrealistic disbelief, damaging the entire fic and the main characters in the process IMO. I refrained from commenting at all on that chapter and several of the subsequent ones.   I'm still wondering whether I should have commented, explained why it was off to me and how it IMO impacted the fic - perhaps the author would have wanted that and would have seen it as constructive criticism. Perhaps she could have made sense of some of her choices that I still think were completely detrimental to the realism of the fic. But you never know, and so I kept silent.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 03:15:15 pm by Mikaela »

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2007, 03:10:28 pm »

My policy in leaving feedback has always been that there's too much negativity in the world as it is, so I make sure to leave a positive comment, giving details on the aspects that I liked, when a fic touches my heart or tickles my funny bone for that matter. Otherwise I just keep mum and pass it by in silence. The authors work so hard on their stories, so much effort and time and care, - they try their best - and all of it is a tribute to the original that inspired it - so who am I to tell people their effort isn't good enough or doesn't meet my after all clearly subjective criteria?

Well, that's exactly how I feel too and what I do. I ALWAYS try to keep in mind with how much love the fic must have been written and how much time and care must have gone into it. And that's why I find it hard to bring up things I didn't like, and just keep quiet about it and don't mention it in my comment or not comment at all. I do know of some author's that would really appreciate hearing the lesser parts of their stories and maybe there are a lot more out there that would appreciate it too. As long as it's put forward in a respectful and pleasant way.

one_of_one

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2007, 04:15:24 pm »
one very popular fics that I had invested a lot of interest and enthusiasm in turned out a chapter that to me nearly ruined the entire fic. It was off in characterisation for several important OCs and in important parts of the plot taking a turn for the realm of unrealistic disbelief, damaging the entire fic and the main characters in the process IMO. I refrained from commenting at all on that chapter and several of the subsequent ones.   I'm still wondering whether I should have commented, explained why it was off to me and how it IMO impacted the fic - perhaps the author would have wanted that and would have seen it as constructive criticism. Perhaps she could have made sense of some of her choices that I still think were completely detrimental to the realism of the fic. But you never know, and so I kept silent.

Hi Mikaela - I can only speak for myself but if you were reading something I had written and that happened then I would want to know.  Most definitely.  I  am too emmeshed in what I am writing to be able to step back and look at everything the way a first time reader can; this is exacerbated by the fact that I post chapters a short time after writing them, so don't have the distance that a couple of week break gives you to look over it with a clearer mind.  In one of my fics that I recently reread  there was something that happened that just came from nowhere, and had absolutely no reference point and I just hid my head under the bedcovers in shame thinking about it.

However, that does not apply to other authors, even if they do say all feedback welcome.  My preference is to both give and receive constructive criticism, and when I am giving it I usually mention something minor that I had a problem with in order to gauge the writer's reaction.  Or I look at other comments to see if anyone else has brought something up previously. If they are not keen on the less positive, or seem overly defensive,  then I just shut up - it's their fic after all.  And to be honest there has only been one author who has been happy to listen to what I have to say, who has responded in a pleasant way and who has disagreed with what I've said without getting pedantic about it.

There is also the problem that if you do criticise the author is fine with it, but one gets a whole string of comments following yours defending the author, mostly having "Well I thought it was amazing/wonderful/perfect/whatever" in the post somewhere.  That would piss me off in a major way because I want feedback of all kinds and don't want anyone to be put off giving it because of the reactions of others to that feedback.  Luckily that's never happened :)  What has happened, though, is people prefacing their criticism with a mass of apology, as if I'm going to be mortally offended that someone had the audacity to even think I would be responsive to criticism.  And I find that sad.  As long as people are polite and respectful, combine the good with the not so good, then I am extremely grateful that they felt I was the kind of author to whom they felt the could mention all aspects of writing.  And I love to get into a discussion too.

Also, and this may sound quite odd, I would really like it if someone who disliked something I'd written took the time to write a critique of why they weren't interested in it; whether it be writing style, characterisation, use of grammar/spelling, sentence structure, subject matter. etc etc.  I feel I could really learn from something like that.  Obviously if all they felt inclined to say was "this is shite, I hated it" I would totally discount it as the worthless remark it is.

For me, all writing is about learning and improving and there's no way I can do that if no one tells me where they think I'm going wrong.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2007, 04:24:02 pm »
I certainly we come all feed back on my short stories and wound not mind at all constructive criticism. i do try to make everting as accurate as possable even the weather. I can see were one would think I write to 'Brady Bunch' ( nothing tragic ever happens, etc.), sappy or whatever. I do realize the Jack and Ennis would have faced many challenges where I set them whether gay or straight.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

one_of_one

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2007, 04:29:35 pm »

I agree with you, and I am so pleased that Nobody's Angel is set in an era and location that I know almost nothing about because I am incredibly anal about such things, and I so totally love that story.  I was reading another fic that I do know quite a bit about both the location and era; the inaccuracies were just too much for my pedant's brain and I had to give it up.

Looking at the flip side of this when I'm supposedly writing about America I am all to aware that I am deficient in knowledge about all kinds of things, and welcome any comments which point them out, because I do want to know.  And am hugely embarrassed not to be correct in what I say.  For instance in one fic I wrote I had this huge long part about the I-90 which I chopped after someone pointed out it hadn't actually been constructed at the time the story was set!  ARGH!

mvansand76

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2007, 04:42:25 pm »
I agree with everybody that accuracy is a very important issue when writing, but I do wonder how strict you have to be. When I write I try to be as accurate as possible, not just about the time it is set in, but also in how characters react to things (actions and dialogue). I think the latter is much, much more important than historical accuracy. At least in fanfic.

This whole discussion also has to do with the canon writer, Annie Proulx who always investigates extremely thoroughly before she starts writing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 04:46:27 pm by mvansand76 »

one_of_one

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2007, 04:46:40 pm »
My policy in leaving feedback has always been that there's too much negativity in the world as it is, so I make sure to leave a positive comment, giving details on the aspects that I liked, when a fic touches my heart or tickles my funny bone for that matter. Otherwise I just keep mum and pass it by in silence. The authors work so hard on their stories, invest so much effort and time and care, - they try their very best - and all of it is a tribute to the original that inspired it. So who am I to tell people their effort isn't good enough or doesn't meet my (after all clearly subjective) criteria?

I totally understand where you are coming from here.  :) 

For me as a fanfic writer I may have put a lot of effort into writing something but there is always, always room for improvement and I really do want to know what people find wrong with my writing.  Because it is only then that I can look at what I've written, take in what the criticism is and either accept it or dismiss it.  Either way, I have learnt something. 

I feel really frustrated sometimes because I get so little concrit. I know I have limitations as a writer, but it's so difficult to work out just what those limitations are unless someone else points them out to me.  Some things I manage to work out myself but it is a very slow and discouraging process.  A little help from a few readers would be more than welcome. :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2007, 05:41:24 pm »
Thanks, everyone, for this very interesting discussion.

What I have come to appreciate, in my 12 month career as a fanfic writer, is the opportunity to have a dialogue with my readers. For me, I have found the place I like it best is here at Bettermost, on the threads for my stories. I know other authors do the dialoging in their LiveJournals. These types of conversations assume a certain level of trust. Here at Bettermost, I have gotten to know many of my readers as people (not just names on a screen) and I have really come to appreciate their honest feedback and constructive criticism.

My 2 cents.

Leslie

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2007, 06:17:57 pm »
I totally understand where you are coming from here.  :) 

For me as a fanfic writer I may have put a lot of effort into writing something but there is always, always room for improvement and I really do want to know what people find wrong with my writing.  Because it is only then that I can look at what I've written, take in what the criticism is and either accept it or dismiss it.  Either way, I have learnt something. 

I feel really frustrated sometimes because I get so little concrit. I know I have limitations as a writer, but it's so difficult to work out just what those limitations are unless someone else points them out to me.  Some things I manage to work out myself but it is a very slow and discouraging process.  A little help from a few readers would be more than welcome. :)

Helen, you just put into words exactly how I feel about my own writing. That's really all I have to say, your past few posts have been spot on towards my own views and feeling on constructive criticism and my writing.  :-*

one_of_one

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2007, 06:45:50 pm »

Lucky for me (or maybe unlucky, because I do consider historical accuracy important) that I didn't live in the 50's and I can read on blissfully unaware... because I do love this story so much.

I really dislike that rule!  I want to break it!  LOL  And who exactly made it?   >:(

And I think we're extremely lucky not to notice anything amiss about NA!  I'd cry if I knew all the mistakes. :( :(

one_of_one

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2007, 06:52:51 pm »

I so agree with this.  There times when I've known that something is amiss and because I also know that most/all commentors won't mention it then I just kind of squint past problem areas and post.

If a few people were to start mentioning things it would give me a well deserved kick up the arse.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2007, 07:03:05 pm »
If a few people were to start mentioning things it would give me a well deserved kick up the arse.

LOL You and me both  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2007, 07:06:01 pm »
I so agree with this.  There times when I've known that something is amiss and because I also know that most/all commentors won't mention it then I just kind of squint past problem areas and post.

hey, whoa whoa whoa, I gave you hell on the washbag thing!

one_of_one

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2007, 07:07:02 pm »

I made a huge (in my mind) error in Going Home regarding crofts and their sale.  When I was writing I made a mental note to check it out but forgot, only remembering again later on.  But it's the kind of thing that bugs me because I feel that I should be writing around the facts and not just writing things that fit the the story.  Nobody mentioned but who knows if someone noticed and it distracted them or put them off.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2007, 07:08:30 pm »

you mean the warshbag?  ;)

Sorry, I remember that comment about "warsh" vs. "wash" on your story and just thinking to myself if Annie says people in Wyoming use it, then they use it.

one_of_one

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2007, 07:09:06 pm »

You did!!  And I am really pleased you did, like you mentioned the letterbox/mailbox thing ages ago :D  But no one was able to tell me what I should have been calling a washbag which didn't help either!  ;D ;D  ;D

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2007, 07:11:16 pm »
WOW – I didn’t think my comments about N.A. would spark this much discussion – this is great!

At first I hesitated to give my opinion about N.A., but Mel asked in this thread and I gave her my opinion. Obviously the author is not too concerned with historical accuracy which is fine. Usually the story and characters in fan fic are more important than researched accuracy. However, with N.A., I recognized the inaccuracies and it distracted me because I grew up in the Midwestern U.S. during the 1950s. (Marcia: Romans calling each other, ‘Dude’ was just too funny – and spot on as to what I am trying to say.)

I didn’t leave feedback on LJ about N.A. because other people were enjoying the story and I figured if the author wanted authenticity, she would have done research or had a beta-reader. There’s so many stories out there that it was just as easy for me to leave this story and go on to another.

When I read Mandy’s “That Little Bit of Hope,” I felt she was striving for a professional tone so I sent her a PM . I gave her feedback about an element in her story I felt didn’t ring true. Mandy sent me a PM saying she appreciated my feedback which I felt was sincere.

And Helen – I’ll gladly help you with any American terms. For example, we say salt shakers here in the States, not salt cellars.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2007, 07:14:32 pm »
When I read Mandy’s “That Little Bit of Hope,” I felt she was striving for a professional tone so I sent her a PM . I gave her feedback about an element in her story I felt didn’t ring true. Mandy sent me a PM saying she appreciated my feedback which I felt was sincere.

This is exactly what I mean, and I'm really glad you felt I was sincere. And I always felt bad about it because I never really succeeded in fixing the problem because I was too deep into the story... but I loved that feedback and plan on using it in revision.

one_of_one

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2007, 07:17:15 pm »
LOL You and me both  :)

Okay - from now on I'll mention the good and the not so good, since we seem to be on the same page with this. :)

XXXX

Helen :)

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2007, 07:18:31 pm »
I made a huge (in my mind) error in Going Home regarding crofts and their sale.  When I was writing I made a mental note to check it out but forgot, only remembering again later on.  But it's the kind of thing that bugs me because I feel that I should be writing around the facts and not just writing things that fit the the story.  Nobody mentioned but who knows if someone noticed and it distracted them or put them off.

This made me LOL Helen because I have NO CLUE about crofts and their sale so it didn't bother me.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2007, 07:20:31 pm »
This made me LOL Helen because I have NO CLUE about crofts and their sale so it didn't bother me.

LOL I just had to go look up "crofts" in my on line dictionary  ::)  :D

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2007, 07:21:12 pm »
Okay - from now on I'll mention the good and the not so good, since we seem to be on the same page with this. :)

XXXX

Helen :)

Sounds good to me  ;)  :D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2007, 07:21:32 pm »
LOL I just had to go look up "crofts" in my on line dictionary  ::)  :D

So Mandy, enlighten us?

L

one_of_one

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2007, 07:22:16 pm »
And Helen – I’ll gladly help you with any American terms. For example, we say salt shakers here in the States, not salt cellars.

Thanks Leslie   :)

*scurries off to change*

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2007, 07:23:03 pm »
So Mandy, enlighten us?

L

LOL, no prob...

From Mirriam-Webster online

croft
One entry found for croft.

Main Entry: croft
Pronunciation: 'kroft
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Middle Dutch krocht hill
1 chiefly British : a small enclosed field usually adjoining a house
2 chiefly British : a small farm worked by a tenant
- croft·er  /'krof-t&r/ noun, chiefly British

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2007, 07:24:18 pm »
For example, we say salt shakers here in the States, not salt cellars.

Leslie, you have good eyes. Was this in the last chapter? I swear I didn't even notice this...

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2007, 07:29:17 pm »
Leslie, you have good eyes. Was this in the last chapter? I swear I didn't even notice this...

I don't remember exactly where it was. For some reason (maybe because I'm a Virgo??) words like that pop out at me. In Helen's case, this one little British vs. American terms was no big deal because I love Helen's story. I also didn't mind that I didn't know what a croft was, or anything about it. (But now I know thanks to you, Mandy.) Helen did you say pepper pot? I can't remember your term. We say pepper shaker. Unless it's whole peppercorns in a pepper grinder, then it's a pepper mill.

I can't help it. I'm kind of like Ross in "Friends."  :-\

one_of_one

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2007, 07:38:39 pm »
A croft is a particular type of land tenure, with or without a dwelling.  It was only fairly recently that crofters were able to buy their crofts, but the sale of them is controlled. In GH I had Ennis's father buying a croft that adjoined the farm, merging the land with his own, selling his farmhouse and moving into the cottage that had come with the croft. 

Well, that would have been next to impossible; for crofts to be decrofted there has to be a good reason for doing so.  This isn't one!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2007, 07:39:57 pm »
You did!!  And I am really pleased you did, like you mentioned the letterbox/mailbox thing ages ago :D  But no one was able to tell me what I should have been calling a washbag which didn't help either!  ;D ;D  ;D

yeah well that's because I didn't have a clue! hehehe.  And at one time you know I was actually paid to translate British idiom to American idiom so I know a LOT of those words.  "Warshbag" eluded me!

one_of_one

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2007, 07:43:03 pm »
yeah well that's because I didn't have a clue! hehehe.  And at one time you know I was actually paid to translate British idiom to American idiom so I know a LOT of those words.  "Warshbag" eluded me!

Someone told me later on...it's toiletry bag.  (Which is what we call a similar bag for women over here).

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2007, 07:44:38 pm »
Someone told me later on...it's toiletry bag.  (Which is what we call a similar bag for women over here).

Toiletry bag...I have also heard make up case. My husband and I call it a bathroom bag, but I think that is our own slang.

L

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2007, 07:49:18 pm »
Toiletry bag...I have also heard make up case. My husband and I call it a bathroom bag, but I think that is our own slang.

L

yeah, for a guy I always just call it a shaving kit... even if it has more than shaving stuff in it. But I think that's just me, so you probably shouldn't use that...

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2007, 07:52:09 pm »
For a guy I would call it a shaving kit, too. My dad had a shaving kit. It was a brown, zip-up bag. For a gal, make-up bag, or cosmetic case.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2007, 07:52:20 pm »
actually I think us Americans ought to adopt "Washbag" or in the case of BBM, "Warshbag" seeing as how it is a much more generic term that "toiletry bag" just doesn't cover.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2007, 12:25:45 am »
Thanks Leslie   :)

*scurries off to change*

Don't scurry off just yet. The United States is a biiigggg place with an immigrant history. I think to say "we don't say that in the States" has big potential to incorrect.

Both my grandmothers used the term salt celler.

Heathen

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2007, 08:46:55 am »
Don't scurry off just yet. The United States is a biiigggg place with an immigrant history. I think to say "we don't say that in the States" has big potential to incorrect.

Very good point, Roux. Regional differences abound, too: tonic/soda/pop for carbonated beverages like Coke; bag/sack for the thing you put your groceries in; Italian/submarine/hero/grinder for those long sandwiches made with cheese and meat...

And so on.

L

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2007, 02:57:32 pm »

Very good point, RouxB. However, you said your grandmothers used that term. How about American men in their 20s like Jack & Ennis?

It's not the first time I tried to make a correction and made a mistake instead. my bad!  :-X

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2007, 03:05:16 am »
ok all... a new rec. Fortunate Son by wannabebrit.

It only has three chapters so far, but the updates seem to come fairly quickly. It's an AU, Jack and Ennis separate after Brokeback... Ennis goes on to marry Alma, but Jack gets drafted and sent to Vietnam. Ennis doesn't hear from him, doesn't know. No reunion, Alma divorces him. Then Jack comes back from Vietnam and drops him a line.

The writing is absolutely beautiful in this. It's so quiet, nothing overdone, just right. And the author has done her research on Vietnam and the experiences of soldiers returning from war and Jack's situation feels incredibly real to me.

Here's a link (it's to chapter three, but there are links to the first two chapters at the top of the page)

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/882967.html?view=9628183#t9628183

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2007, 07:28:34 pm »
"Riding Fence" by Lucian (the first thing he ever wrote in ENGLISH, though it's his native language--it's SO great, and B73 has "Amber City in the Sky" going.

At some point in my life--which is already pretty long--I heard a LOT of "salt cellar", but my mother (that would be the equivilent of your grandmother, Leslie, time-speaking) said salt shaker (from Alabama) and my father said : Pass the salt.
(Chicago). (Father wrote for a living, all his life, so there must be something O.K. about it...he wrote good.)

B73 kissed me Satrurday night, but then, there was a whole lot of kissin' going on, so I won't take it too personal. marakeshsparrow and I watched season one (most of it) of QaF Sunday night--what a great show! Sid finally put BBM on at about 10:30 P.M. Saturday and people kept wandering into the room saying "I saw that movie."  (funny as hell!)I watched it all ther way through...the only one who did (I hadn't seen it since the last Slash Bash in Chicago). Oh yeah--SF and Oakland and Berkeley.... There were 5 guys there--an incredible number: Lucian, Pete Tannen, Michael, Dean (amdaz from DaveCullen), Sid--and about 15 women...sort of. We still ocasionally think we are.
The only person you don't mind talking during BBM is Maggie (B73), because she says things nobody ever thought of before, and should have. Like: when Cassie says "Girls don't fall in love with fun," and Ennis gets real still, he's thinking 'he didn't love me because I was fun; he loved me because I was me." See what I mean? Sheera was there too. And Melissa, the funny-as-hell raunch queen, with her beautiful five year old, Alicia...Grace, Tara, Meli,  whole lot of people.

A great deal of Chinese food was consumed, because of Dean, who is Southeast Asian. But he told me why all the buddha and bodhisattva heads from Thailand (now Thailand) 700 A.D. look African...Nice Dean.

Everyone called me "sweety." I guess you have to put up with that when you're 71.

Ikeep thinking I forgot one GUY..how could i do that?
I'd be over there a whole lot...if I could do Photobucket!

edited by mod: message unbolded. Titles of fanfics RE-bolded by twistedude!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 09:07:55 pm by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2007, 09:24:55 pm »
Very good point, RouxB. However, you said your grandmothers used that term. How about American men in their 20s like Jack & Ennis?

I guess it depends on what they take from their parents and grandparents. My sister is 18 months older than I am and her terminology is very different from mine. She uses many of the same terms my parents and grandparents did that I don't use. Oddly enough, my brother-8 years younger is closer to her usage than to mine.

I've never used the term "salt cellar" but I didn't blink at it in this context.

Just for fun, I didn't know the word fart til I was 17 and in college  :laugh:

O0

Heathen

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2007, 09:27:26 pm »
Julie-

I am so jealous! That sounds like a great experience. You writers are so inspirational-I wish I had your talent.

O0

Heathen

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2007, 09:16:54 pm »
I read, mostly. It was a lot of fun.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2007, 10:00:33 pm »
and B73 has "Amber City in the Sky" going

I love this story so much already (but then, when do I not love a story of Maggie's...) I can already tell she's going to rip my heart out and stomp on it with this fic, but it will be a sweet, sweet pain.

I just hope she keeps going with it... usually if she's going to continue with a fic she posts chapters at lightning speed, and it's been a few days since an update. I'm still waiting for her to continue with Riverboat, which she only ever posted a prologue to. Hmmm.....

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2007, 03:50:09 am »
I love this story so much already (but then, when do I not love a story of Maggie's...) I can already tell she's going to rip my heart out and stomp on it with this fic, but it will be a sweet, sweet pain.

I just hope she keeps going with it... usually if she's going to continue with a fic she posts chapters at lightning speed, and it's been a few days since an update. I'm still waiting for her to continue with Riverboat, which she only ever posted a prologue to. Hmmm.....

Oh yeah, I liked Riverboat too! I was wondering about it the other day. And Amber City in the Sky??!  ??? How come I missed that one!  ???  ::)

*goes off to check Maggie's index*

one_of_one

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2007, 04:13:09 am »
I loved Riverboat too, and wondered when she said she was finishing dMP whether she would continue or not.  I hope she does one day. :)

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2007, 11:11:41 am »
Very good point, Roux. Regional differences abound, too: tonic/soda/pop for carbonated beverages like Coke; bag/sack for the thing you put your groceries in; Italian/submarine/hero/grinder for those long sandwiches made with cheese and meat...

One of those websites that has "fun surveys" had one about regional US speech. Interesting - I discovered that my vocabulary is as mongrelized as my accent!

Meanings of words can change over time, too. e.g., the word "slut" at one time just meant a bad housekeeper. And "nice" used to mean picky or persnickity; e.g., "a nice distinction."

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2007, 07:28:45 pm »
Re: Amber City in the Sky: she talked to me a lot about it Saturday night, seems to have it all planned out (and there's as good deal of happiness in it, but the other stuff too). So I think there's good reason to hope. Y'know...her cat just died, cat of long standing. Might slow her down a bit.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2007, 02:07:26 pm »
New recommendation (unless it's been rec'd before??)

Scarlettbaby's Serenity Falls

It's an AU starting from the time when Ennis receives the postcard marked deceased. He believes Jack is dead and in his grief and depression winds up driving down to Childress then instead of going back to Riverton winds up in a town where no one knows him (Serenity Falls) and finds work. He lives in this state of depression for months until by chance finds out that Jack is still living.

Ok, you all know I'm not good at summaries, but this is a very beautifully written, really intriguing take on what would have happened if Ennis got the shock of Jack's death then got one more chance to fix things. And the way the author handles what happens to Jack after the tire irons in endlessly fascinating and I think she writes what he goes through perfectly. It jumps around concerning POV from Ennis to Jack to occasionally Bobby.

Links to Scarlettbaby's memories concerning Serenity Falls (there is also a ch. 17, but you'll have to go to her journal for that):

http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memories.bml?user=scarlettbaby&keyword=BBM+Serenity+Falls&filter=all