Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain inspired Fan Fic recommendations  (Read 32536 times)

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Brokeback Mountain inspired Fan Fic recommendations
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 07:10:45 pm »
oh god yes... that was hard. And the following scene when Jack goes to ask Ennis' forgiveness and his confession about his dad  :'(

Ennis is reallly unique in this fic, too. This fic constantly reminds me of his line "You may be a sinner but I ain't yet had the opportunity"... I keep calling it innocence because I don't know what else to call it, but I think she's really captured Ennis.

Oh yeah Mandy, you're so spot on about that line! And oh fuck that was so hard about his dad. Jesus  :(

Just like NA Jack and Ennis, I often feel like hugging them all the time

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 10:32:59 am »
Here's one that has just three chapters so far but takes a unique approach:

"Bookends",  http://kittykimono.livejournal.com/#item346

The main character is Jack's granddaughter and the story is told in two "parallel universes": one where Ennis and Jack try out Jack's plan to live together in Lightning Flat, and the other with the original ending. If the first chapter doesn't totally hook you, the second will!

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 01:51:59 pm »
Hi RouxB -
Ready for some Sad!Ennis ? I posted three recommendations on threads in Fan Fic & Poetry: "Widower for One Year" (several chapters finished but incomplete) and "Roots" both by 271horses. "Roots" is complete. "Roots" is the story of Earl & Rich, a topic I would have avoided maybe but I think 271horses (AJ) is amazing. His style is "no frills" which echoes the starkness of the story he's writing. His loving scenes between Earl & Rich are not graphic but beautiful and sensual. It fills in the blank of "why did Ennis's father show him Earl's body"?

I liked "Nobody's Angel" but I found so many inaccuracies in her story that I couldn't continue reading it; it was too distracting.

"Shades of Grey" I avoided for a long time but really loved it. If you go to the "Shades of Grey" thread here on Fan Fic you will see that I contributed many photos of SoG Jack at that site.

I would recommend anything by Maggie, b73. If you are ready for some angst, try "Catch the Westbound" trilogy. Maggie is an excellent writer & captures the spark btwn. Ennis and Jack perfectly, in many different settings. For some relief from the angst, try "Del Mar Painting," again a story I avoided because I thought, a story about painting!? WTF But it's great fun, very layered, sexy and loving. Again I contributed photos to that thread.

You have probably already read them, but of course I would recommend Mandy's "That Little Bit of Hope" and "Just by Looking at You."

:) cc33 / Leslie

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 01:56:54 pm »
I forgot to recommend "Riding Fence" by no_reins/Lucian. He's an excellent, "no frills" writer like 271horses. Part One is complete, part two, "Riding Fence/An Uneventful Life" is in progress. For a story about how Ennis copes after Jack's death I would recommend this and "Widower for One Year." (see separate thread for links)

Leslie.

mvansand76

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 02:09:09 pm »

I liked "Nobody's Angel" but I found so many inaccuracies in her story that I couldn't continue reading it; it was too distracting.

What kind of inaccuracies? 

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 02:11:19 pm »
Oh, I whole-heartedly second the rec of "Widower for One Year". Even if there's been no update since June I keep checking in the vain hope that there'll eventually be one. The flashbacks are wonderful (and hot) and Ennis's increasing despair and loneliness are sad but amazingly well portrayed, the "everyday life goes on and is never easy" descriptions are so good - though also very bleak....! And I *so* need to know what happens to (grandson) Ennis now, and whether he'll be able to confide in - and emotionally reconnect with - his "pop"!

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 02:17:16 pm »
"Nobody's Angel" takes place in the early 1950s, a time when there were no cineplexes, big TVs, remote controls, purple band-aids, beer in cans, and people took baths, not showers. If you ate chocolate cake on a sofa it would stain forever. I don't believe a man would run up to another man in public and say, "I forgot to kiss you!" Mustang cars were not manufactured and introduced until 1964. I know, I know, I'm a petty nit-picker. However, there was something in every chapter that was not correct and it was too distracting to me; I couldn't over look it. I'm glad other people are enjoying her story though.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2007, 02:22:32 pm »
Oh, I whole-heartedly second the rec of "Widower for One Year". Even if there's been no update since June I keep checking in the vain hope that there'll eventually be one. The flashbacks are wonderful (and hot) and Ennis's increasing despair and loneliness are sad but amazingly well portrayed, the "everyday life goes on and is never easy" descriptions are so good - though also very bleak....! And I *so* need to know what happens to (grandson) Ennis now, and whether he'll be able to confide in - and emotionally reconnect with - his "pop"!

You are right on. I agree 100% with your description. Will grandson Ennis meet grandson Jack?? I LOVE the relationship between "Pop" Ennis and his grandson, Ennis.

******** POSSIBLE SPOILER ****************

a passage that haunts me:

As slaps went it wasn’t much, he’d had worse, given better, his ear stung a little but it was his grandfather. Tears ran with mucus down his throat reminding him disgustingly of chicken soup. He let himself have one sob then brutally stuffed a lid on it. He was twelve and did not cry. All he did was ask. Pop said looks like it’s goin a be a scorcher, do me a favor and get that straw hat, boy, top shelf a the closet and there were two shirts hanging there on the door and it looked like blood on the cuff. All he done was asked, picked up the crusty sleeve, what’s this Pop and felt the blow on the side of his head, the terrible voice, DON’T YOU EVER TOUCH THAT and he took off into the weeds, everything bright and slanty with his tears. from "Widower for One Year" by 271horses

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2007, 02:34:34 pm »
"Nobody's Angel" takes place in the early 1950s, a time when there were no cineplexes, big TVs, remote controls, purple band-aids, beer in cans, and people took baths, not showers. If you ate chocolate cake on a sofa it would stain forever. I don't believe a man would run up to another man in public and say, "I forgot to kiss you!" Mustang cars were not manufactured and introduced until 1964. I know, I know, I'm a petty nit-picker. However, there was something in every chapter that was not correct and it was too distracting to me; I couldn't over look it. I'm glad other people are enjoying her story though.

I haven't read that story so I am not familiar with it, but these kind of details (or inaccuracies) can drive me bonkers. My story (A Love Born From Steel) takes place in 1976 and I spent alot of time trying to make things accurate to time and place. There is only one thing that is more 2006 than 1976...the description of hospice. And I did that on purpose.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

one_of_one

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2007, 02:57:30 pm »
I have a big advantage then with NA in that I'm not American and have no idea what you guys did or didn't have in the 1950's. :)  Which is good because it's my favourite fic. :)  My only real quibble is that the del Mars sometimes have towels instead of inner doors but sometimes have doors; it changes about quite a bit *grin*  But I just love it so much, and love Ennis and his brothers :) .....And Jack, too, of course!

I loved Widower too but the only things I can remember from it now because it's been so long is that Ennis the grandson discovered he was gay when he saw Ty's back in the car and that at the end of the last chapter he was really sad because he'd lost Ty as a friend.  And that Ennis asked him if it was about a girl.  Oh, and the Siesta Motel being demolished.

I so enjoyed Roots, and to be honest I think I'm probably not going to pick up any new fic until it's complete because I have such a bad memory.  The ones I have read as complete, such as Roots, If I Asked and A Love Born from Steel have been a much better read for me solely because I've been able to follow everything, read it more or less all at once and most importantly remember what the heck happens!