Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain inspired Fan Fic recommendations  (Read 32551 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: Brokeback Mountain inspired Fan Fic recommendations
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2007, 07:14:32 pm »
When I read Mandy’s “That Little Bit of Hope,” I felt she was striving for a professional tone so I sent her a PM . I gave her feedback about an element in her story I felt didn’t ring true. Mandy sent me a PM saying she appreciated my feedback which I felt was sincere.

This is exactly what I mean, and I'm really glad you felt I was sincere. And I always felt bad about it because I never really succeeded in fixing the problem because I was too deep into the story... but I loved that feedback and plan on using it in revision.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

one_of_one

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2007, 07:17:15 pm »
LOL You and me both  :)

Okay - from now on I'll mention the good and the not so good, since we seem to be on the same page with this. :)

XXXX

Helen :)

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2007, 07:18:31 pm »
I made a huge (in my mind) error in Going Home regarding crofts and their sale.  When I was writing I made a mental note to check it out but forgot, only remembering again later on.  But it's the kind of thing that bugs me because I feel that I should be writing around the facts and not just writing things that fit the the story.  Nobody mentioned but who knows if someone noticed and it distracted them or put them off.

This made me LOL Helen because I have NO CLUE about crofts and their sale so it didn't bother me.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2007, 07:20:31 pm »
This made me LOL Helen because I have NO CLUE about crofts and their sale so it didn't bother me.

LOL I just had to go look up "crofts" in my on line dictionary  ::)  :D
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2007, 07:21:12 pm »
Okay - from now on I'll mention the good and the not so good, since we seem to be on the same page with this. :)

XXXX

Helen :)

Sounds good to me  ;)  :D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2007, 07:21:32 pm »
LOL I just had to go look up "crofts" in my on line dictionary  ::)  :D

So Mandy, enlighten us?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

one_of_one

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2007, 07:22:16 pm »
And Helen – I’ll gladly help you with any American terms. For example, we say salt shakers here in the States, not salt cellars.

Thanks Leslie   :)

*scurries off to change*

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2007, 07:23:03 pm »
So Mandy, enlighten us?

L

LOL, no prob...

From Mirriam-Webster online

croft
One entry found for croft.

Main Entry: croft
Pronunciation: 'kroft
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Middle Dutch krocht hill
1 chiefly British : a small enclosed field usually adjoining a house
2 chiefly British : a small farm worked by a tenant
- croft·er  /'krof-t&r/ noun, chiefly British

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2007, 07:24:18 pm »
For example, we say salt shakers here in the States, not salt cellars.

Leslie, you have good eyes. Was this in the last chapter? I swear I didn't even notice this...

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2007, 07:29:17 pm »
Leslie, you have good eyes. Was this in the last chapter? I swear I didn't even notice this...

I don't remember exactly where it was. For some reason (maybe because I'm a Virgo??) words like that pop out at me. In Helen's case, this one little British vs. American terms was no big deal because I love Helen's story. I also didn't mind that I didn't know what a croft was, or anything about it. (But now I know thanks to you, Mandy.) Helen did you say pepper pot? I can't remember your term. We say pepper shaker. Unless it's whole peppercorns in a pepper grinder, then it's a pepper mill.

I can't help it. I'm kind of like Ross in "Friends."  :-\