Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain inspired Fan Fic recommendations  (Read 32538 times)

one_of_one

Re: Brokeback Mountain inspired Fan Fic recommendations
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2007, 07:38:39 pm »
A croft is a particular type of land tenure, with or without a dwelling.  It was only fairly recently that crofters were able to buy their crofts, but the sale of them is controlled. In GH I had Ennis's father buying a croft that adjoined the farm, merging the land with his own, selling his farmhouse and moving into the cottage that had come with the croft. 

Well, that would have been next to impossible; for crofts to be decrofted there has to be a good reason for doing so.  This isn't one!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2007, 07:39:57 pm »
You did!!  And I am really pleased you did, like you mentioned the letterbox/mailbox thing ages ago :D  But no one was able to tell me what I should have been calling a washbag which didn't help either!  ;D ;D  ;D

yeah well that's because I didn't have a clue! hehehe.  And at one time you know I was actually paid to translate British idiom to American idiom so I know a LOT of those words.  "Warshbag" eluded me!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

one_of_one

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2007, 07:43:03 pm »
yeah well that's because I didn't have a clue! hehehe.  And at one time you know I was actually paid to translate British idiom to American idiom so I know a LOT of those words.  "Warshbag" eluded me!

Someone told me later on...it's toiletry bag.  (Which is what we call a similar bag for women over here).

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2007, 07:44:38 pm »
Someone told me later on...it's toiletry bag.  (Which is what we call a similar bag for women over here).

Toiletry bag...I have also heard make up case. My husband and I call it a bathroom bag, but I think that is our own slang.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2007, 07:49:18 pm »
Toiletry bag...I have also heard make up case. My husband and I call it a bathroom bag, but I think that is our own slang.

L

yeah, for a guy I always just call it a shaving kit... even if it has more than shaving stuff in it. But I think that's just me, so you probably shouldn't use that...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2007, 07:52:09 pm »
For a guy I would call it a shaving kit, too. My dad had a shaving kit. It was a brown, zip-up bag. For a gal, make-up bag, or cosmetic case.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2007, 07:52:20 pm »
actually I think us Americans ought to adopt "Washbag" or in the case of BBM, "Warshbag" seeing as how it is a much more generic term that "toiletry bag" just doesn't cover.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2007, 12:25:45 am »
Thanks Leslie   :)

*scurries off to change*

Don't scurry off just yet. The United States is a biiigggg place with an immigrant history. I think to say "we don't say that in the States" has big potential to incorrect.

Both my grandmothers used the term salt celler.

Heathen

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2007, 08:46:55 am »
Don't scurry off just yet. The United States is a biiigggg place with an immigrant history. I think to say "we don't say that in the States" has big potential to incorrect.

Very good point, Roux. Regional differences abound, too: tonic/soda/pop for carbonated beverages like Coke; bag/sack for the thing you put your groceries in; Italian/submarine/hero/grinder for those long sandwiches made with cheese and meat...

And so on.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2007, 02:57:32 pm »

Very good point, RouxB. However, you said your grandmothers used that term. How about American men in their 20s like Jack & Ennis?

It's not the first time I tried to make a correction and made a mistake instead. my bad!  :-X