Author Topic: OT: Getting to know us (more)! - One RANDOM thing about you!  (Read 23997 times)

dmmb_Mandy

OT: Getting to know us (more)! - One RANDOM thing about you!
« on: April 11, 2006, 06:44:02 pm »
Hey y'all. I didn't get the chance to respond to Stud's questions before his thread was frozen. So, inspired by his & Vic's thread, I thought I'd start another thread about getting to know us; our fellow family members.

So, it's simple, just say one random thing about yourself that we don't already know. Anything at all about yourself or your life. Elaborate with it if you want!

Mine: I can't drive. I don't have a license, and if you put me in front of a steering wheel, I wouldn't have a clue what to do! It's been over five years now that I've been old enough to drive, I just haven't bothered to go and get it. When I was in high school, I never bothered with it because I have 3 older brothers and between them and my parents, I would never have had the chance to use either of the vehicules anyway, and I didn't want to add to the fights over the cars that were already going on. I'm considering driving school this summer, who knows!

BUT, I'm an excellent skidoo driver! And I've even driven a boat!

EnnisDelMar

Re: OT: Getting to know us (more)! - One RANDOM thing about you!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 06:48:36 pm »
Really? I couldn't live without driving. I hate being dependent on others...and I just like to go for drives every now and then.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 06:50:31 pm »
I wet the bed til I was 14..........LOL no just kiddin..... :laugh:

I had a HUGE childhood crush on Jodie Foster and have seen The Silence of the Lambs at least 250 times (no exaggeration) because of it....... ;D

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 06:52:51 pm »
I entered a convent when I was 18, wanted to be a Nun and nurse.  Poverty and  Chastity were no problem, but OBEDIENCE just killed me.  ::) I left after 18 months and went to college instead.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 06:54:49 pm »
I entered a convent when I was 18, wanted to be a Nun and nurse.  Poverty and  Chastity were no problem, but OBEDIENCE just killed me.  ::) I left after 18 months and went to college instead.

Did you really?  Wow.....thats amazin..... ;D

I would imagine your dirty mind got you in trouble a few times too eh Vic?  LOL

vkm91941

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 06:56:48 pm »

I didn't have a dirty mind yet, back then, that came later with a lot of experience and a husband who was real bad boy! LOL  ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 06:58:54 pm by vkm91941 »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 07:00:26 pm »
I pierced my own ears when I was 11 with a sewing needle.  I just iced 'em down, rubbed alcohol on 'em and on the needle, jammed it in there and followed it with a gold post earring (they didn't have piercing earrings in 1976, or at least not that I was able to come across).  The hardest thing was doing the second one!   :o  Too bad it wasn't quite yet the fashion to just have one pierced ear - I'd have gladly stopped with my left had that been the case.

I did it that way because we had very little money at the time and my Mom said she didn't have enough to give me to go get it done properly at the mall.  Truth be told, she really just didn't want me to get my ears pierced.  Man, was she pissed when she saw them.  I was grounded for the rest of the summer, and I did it in early July.
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 07:01:48 pm »

I didn't have a dirty mind yet, back then, that came later with a lot of experience and a husband who was real bad boy! LOL  ;)

ROFL...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 07:07:03 pm »
Okay, I'll bite. Here's something that has been on my mind for the past couple of days since it was announced that the U.S. is gearing up its war machine to go to war with Iran. During a business meeting a few months ago, a guy opined that I and others working on pursuing business in the Middle East should be very careful to hide the fact that we are women, because middle eastern men don't like to deal with women and if they knew that we are in positions of authority, "it would just kill them." What I wanted to say ever since then is that when I went to college in the Midwest, my university was very popular place for Middle Eastern men to go to study engineering. Over half of the engineering school was men from the middle east. I had several boyfriends from Iran, or as they called it then, Persia.

One of them was named Muhammed (like zillions of others) and went by the name Mark. He was my latest flame. When I was at home for spring break, I had to give him a call. I went to a pay phone, couldn't call him from home. I had to keep feeding change into the phone while his dorm mates went looking for him and finally he came to the phone. "Mark, I'm pregnant," I said bluntly. We agreed that we would get together as soon as I got back to campus and figure out what to do about it. However, being young, I did not realize that I was not pregnant, just late. So I was looking forward to telling him the happy news as soon as I returned. But when I got back to campus, he was nowhere to be found! Neither him nor his buddies! Anyway, he and his buddies are in power in Iran right now, and I know them better than their wives do! Imagine the reaction if I told this story to the manager with all the opinions. I could actually be a secret weapon in a war with Iran. I would know things about those boys that would be capital offenses, punishable by death. Seriously, I wouldn't be interested in exposing anyone's youthful trespasses, it's just ironic. So this certainly is a random thing, but sorry it's not very concise!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 07:22:02 pm »
Alright you want something random, I will give you random:

I have almost broken my nose 3 times.

Which is not something I am proud of, although it does see interesting, hey maybe it says something about me and how big my nose is. The first time was when I was 3 and I was going to nursery and I fell over and cause I have stuff in my hands I couldn't put my hands up to stop my self so I just landed flat on my face(as I do normally). The Second is my sister's fault. Well we were having a fight when I was 5 and I was trying to get in the bathroom, where she was stood, and as I was about to go in she slammed the door in my face and cause I was so small  the door handle was right in-line with my nose. And the third time is my dads' fault when I was about to put my bike in the garage and I have one of those garage doors that swings up so my dad comes from one side and pushes the door and I get slamed in the face by a hulking great door. So I am very lucky that it has never been broken although I do have a slight bump in the middle, which I would probably be told to get removed by a plastic surgeon, but I like it, I think it gives my face character. ;D
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 07:32:19 pm »
Random?  Hmm..  Dunno about random, but here's something you don't know about me  - I have represented Australia in TaeKwondo.. In April 2004, I won a tournament in Canberra and hence was automatically selected to represent Australia at the upcoming Oceanic Championships in New Zealand (kinda like the Commonwealth Games for TKD).

I competed in Sparring, Patterns and Power Breaking (breaking boards) and got me a silver medal in sparring, bronze medal in patterns and came 4th in breaking.

:o   ;D
Chut up!

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 07:50:55 pm »
I had the hots for Sal Mineo when I was 13, only I didn't know what they were (didn't want to know) and I don't think the expression "the hots" had been invented.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 08:11:09 pm »
Front

So I was looking forward to telling him the happy news as soon as I returned.

Are you being ironic or did you have some idea in your head about marrying this guy?

A friend of mine dated, lived with and worked for the family of a Middle Eastern guy for 4-5 years.  She was accepted by his family, had earlier dated his older brother, was talking with him about marriage...then one day he went home to the Middle East to visit relatives and when he came back he was engaged to a 15 year old girl back home.

So much for that.

OK, one random thing about me...I dress up in costume at Renaissance Faires.

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 08:15:30 pm »
hmmm...random.

I lived in Italy for almost a year and speak pretty good Italian.

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 08:23:04 pm »
Everything about me is kinda random

I am an expert seamstress and specialize in costume making. I've made a horse (fabric), T-rex with a 6 ft tail, a bone, a watermelon slice, a hat-trick and a bunch of other strange stuff.

O0

p.s. I don't have an afro though

Heathen

vkm91941

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 08:31:09 pm »
hmmm...random.

oooo Paul, I wanna tour Tuscany in a year or two, wanna go with me?  I'll let you pull my hair! :D

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 08:38:38 pm »
hmmm...random.

How did you accomplish that?!?!  I'd love to live overseas!  I hope to tour Italy in a couple of years.

Offline David

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 08:43:46 pm »
I once "mooned' my co-workers to show them that I wasn't the shy, quiet type they all assumed I was.   ::)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 08:47:35 pm »
I once "mooned' my co-workers to show them that I wasn't the shy, quiet type they all assumed I was.   ::)

That'd about do it!!

LOL!!  That is too funny, David!!!
Chut up!

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 08:55:16 pm »
Really? I couldn't live without driving. I hate being dependent on others...and I just like to go for drives every now and then.

I love going for drives too, but i just go for drives with friends. I usually take the bus or just walk places. Fortunately I live right in a shopping square and I have EVERYTHING I need right below me. And my UNI is super close too, like 5 mins walking, I'm quite fortunate! I'm looking forward to learning to drive, but I'm super nervous  :-\

Sheyne - I understand your decision not to date, and I respect you greatly for it.  :-*

moremojo

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 09:28:03 pm »
Somewhere out there, a child is named after me.

From the first through third grades, I attended the school in Coupland, Texas, a smallish, four-classroom edifice whose cornerstone gave the date, I believe, of 1912.  The school accommodated grades one through eight (with grades one and two sharing one room and teacher, grades three and four another, and so forth). My mother was employed here as the special education teacher (and had her own room, as I now recall), and my sister (three and a half years older than me) was likewise enrolled here during this time; we made the drive from our home in Austin to the small town of Coupland each morning, a good twenty to thirty minute drive as I recollect.

One of my classmates through those first three years was a little girl named Sophia, with whom I remember getting along well enough. My best buds at the time, though, were Jeffery and Margaret, and Susan, a little older than me, upon whom I nourished a childish, pre-sexual crush. When my mother withdrew me and my sister after the completion of my third year, and we transferred to Austin schools, I quickly lost contact with these former playmates.

Some fifteen years later, after I had finished college and had settled into working life, my mother called me one evening at home. She had a story she was eager to share with me. She had recently attended a football game or other public event in one of the small towns east of Austin, like Coupland, but in this case Elgin, I believe. Seated on one of the stands was a pretty young woman with a little boy beside her. This young woman waved at my mother, and getting her attention, said to her, "Mrs. Moore, do you remember me? I'm Sophia...from Coupland." My mother did remember Sophia at this point, and expressed her delight in seeing her after all these years. Sophia indicated the child next to her, and said, "And this is my son, Scott...I named him after your Scott."

Sophia went on to say how much she enjoyed knowing me, of how much she cherished her fond memory of me, and of how I had never been forgotten. She stated that she knew that if or when she ever had a little boy, she would name him after me. And this had come to pass.

I was filled with wonder and gratitude as my mother related this story to me. I was astonished that I had touched Sophia, a person whom I had not seen since both of us were no more than eight or nine, in such a way. And I had done nothing more than simply be myself, a child relating to another child. I felt humbled and exalted all at once.

Sometimes, when I am feeling low, overlooked, or dejected in some way, I call up this story for myself, to remind myself that I have the power to impact the lives of others in a positive way. And I cherish the thought that somewhere out in the world, a human being named in my honor is forging his own way through life, making his own history and legacy as a man called Scott. God bless you, Scott and Sophia, wherever you may be.

In gratitude,
Scott

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 09:55:32 pm »
Thanks! What I meant when I said I would nbring the good news, was the news that I wasn't pregnant. I had no ideas about becoming par tof a middle eastern family or culture.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 10:04:27 pm »
moremojo - that's really interesting

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 10:06:58 pm »
I believe in reincarnation.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2006, 10:14:42 pm »
I had the hots for Sal Mineo when I was 13, only I didn't know what they were (didn't want to know) and I don't think the expression "the hots" had been invented.

In my case it was Mark Spitz when I was 14. By then I think "the hots" had been invented, but I was so backward I had NO CLUE what was going on in me. As clueless as Ennis, without the gut cramps. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2006, 10:20:26 pm »
Flash - really? You should check out the BBM reincarnation art I made! I bumped the thread for you to see  ;D

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2006, 11:03:10 pm »
front Oh, OK, my mistake.

flash  Do you have memories of a past life yourself or are you like a Buddhist or something?  A couple of people I know have had memories of what they call past lives.  It's really cool.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2006, 11:05:51 pm »
Since I've had really good posture my whole life, no one knew I had scoliosis until I was like 13. If we had known earlier I could have worn a brace for a while and it would have been ok. It really doesn't bother me, my back (almost) never hurts, it's just that x-rays of my spine are all curvey.

And I still have good posture. ;D

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 11:38:55 pm »
Random thing about me?

I was born in Singapore and spent my early years in Malaysia.  In fact, the first language I spoke was not English, but Bahasa Malaysia.  I don't remember very much of it, though.  Pity.

Four passports.  Weird, huh?

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 11:45:35 pm »
1 random thing..hmm.. :-\

I currently have 7 pairs of cowboy boots... 8)..and I just found out that my sister is sending me 3 more pairs (from Amsterdam) as an early birthday present...(yahhh!!)
My obsession with cowboy boots (& shoes in general) was pertty strong before BBM, but now..its at another level altogether.. ;)

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2006, 12:14:23 am »
Ok, don't laugh.  I used to be a dancer and a damn good one if I do say so.  In 1981 I tried out to be a solid gold dancer..(anybody out there remember them?)
Unfortunately, I didn't get it, but had a blast trying.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2006, 12:25:45 am »
OH MY GOD!!!!! You have just become a total rock star in my opinion!  When I was a kid I told everyone that I was going to be a Solid Gold dancer when I grew up.  I was obsessed with that show!! 
   Cowboys do it better

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2006, 01:53:48 am »
I never did answer the "stupid thing you said" in dementia thread. since i think we should just let that thread die, I answer it here as my random thing.

My freshman year at UCLA, in a semi lecture hall. It had about 100 people in it, so it's bigger than a normal class, but not as big as the regular lectures. It was a lit class, if I remember right. At the end of hour one, I felt like I had to go to the men's room, but I thought, I could hold it until the end of lecture. Middle of hour two, I just couldn't hold it any more. Now this was my first quarter, so I didn't really know what the protocol was. Remember back in high school, you needed to go, you raise your hand and asked permission. So I thought it'd only be polite to ask, instead of just sneaking out. I raised my hand, asked, and everyone, including the professor burst into laughter. So yeah, that was one of the dumbest things I've said.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2006, 03:59:32 am »
*Snort*  That's a fabulous story, Starboard.  I hope you know I'm laughing at you, not with you.*

I was very, very worried for a moment that you had pissed your pants.  Because that wouldn't have been funny.  It would have been cold and clammy.

*  Awwwwww, not really.  You know I looove you, Starbie.  *Adriana tickles Nipith and tries to make him pee his pants.  Nipith does not oblige.  Adriana pouts.*

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2006, 12:48:22 pm »
Hmm .. one random thing - I am deathly and irrationally afraid of clowns, and clown dolls.  Even Jimbo the Rodeo Clown creeped me out!

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2006, 12:52:26 pm »
OK here's mine:

The only other movie I've seen in the theatre more times than BBM (20) is the Rocky Horror Picture Show.  I stopped counting at 60 something.  We used to go every week when we were in high school, but I haven't been in at least 10 years, probably more.
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2006, 01:29:34 pm »
Just wanted to chime in that clowns creep me out, too.  Always have, always will.  I'm sorry, but they're just not right.

And I have *actually* broken my nose twice, both times by walking into a sliding glass door.

Before you think, erm, any less of me, I submit that neither time was my fault!  The first time, the freaking thing was in the middle of the inside of a condo - it separated the master bedroom from a little hallway that connected it to a Jack and Jill bathroom and another bedroom.  My brother and his wife and I were all staying there when we went down to Florida to see our grandfather one more time while he was in hospice for cancer - we were in the condo he had owned and was now ready to be sold.  I went through the door, leaving it open, and into the hallway then bathroom to brush my teeth.  While I was in there with the water running, my sister-in-law unbeknownst to me walked through it from the other direction to get something out of the bedroom, and then, upon leaving, closed it.  After which I turned around and walked full-speed right into it.  The other time was a similar situation - I was on our screened, partially sheltered patio watching and listening to Hurricane Jeanne start to come on full force.  It was 8 at night, and it was only just getting started, so it was "safe" for me to be out there.  A nice cool wind was blowing from the east (ha ha), so I left the slider into the game room open let some fresh air into the house before closing it completely off.  I was talking to my Dad on the portable phone with my back to the door.  Unbeknownst to me again, Ed decided to close it in his travels.  I turned and walked full-speed into it, AGAIN, dropped the phone, picked it up, and my Dad goes, "What just happened?"  I said, "Oh, nothing, I think I just broke my nose..."  Funniest thing was he just picked up right where he had left off and never asked me how or why that happened.   ::)
No more beans!

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2006, 02:39:55 pm »
*Snort*  That's a fabulous story, Starboard.  I hope you know I'm laughing at you, not with you.*

I was very, very worried for a moment that you had pissed your pants.  Because that wouldn't have been funny.  It would have been cold and clammy.

*  Awwwwww, not really.  You know I looove you, Starbie.  *Adriana tickles Nipith and tries to make him pee his pants.  Nipith does not oblige.  Adriana pouts.*

he he. only sweet chanterais gets to laugh at me. and with the hot and dry "autumn"* of LA, my pants would have dried before the end of class, and no one would have been the wiser.

* I put autumn in quotes because it's really still summer until it's winter in December.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2006, 02:43:50 pm »
I pierced my own ears when I was 11 with a sewing needle.  I just iced 'em down, rubbed alcohol on 'em and on the needle, jammed it in there and followed it with a gold post earring (they didn't have piercing earrings in 1976, or at least not that I was able to come across).  The hardest thing was doing the second one!   :o  Too bad it wasn't quite yet the fashion to just have one pierced ear - I'd have gladly stopped with my left had that been the case.

I did it that way because we had very little money at the time and my Mom said she didn't have enough to give me to go get it done properly at the mall.  Truth be told, she really just didn't want me to get my ears pierced.  Man, was she pissed when she saw them.  I was grounded for the rest of the summer, and I did it in early July.

I remember in Junior high, a bunch of my friends had a sleep over. This was the mid-80's and having one pierced ear was the cool thing. My friend that night decided to pierce their ears. They were guys. Going to an ear piercing place was not macho enough, so in their bathrooms with needles and rubbing alcohol, they pierced each other's ears. I being the nerd of the group wasn't pressured too much into doing it, so I didn't.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2006, 03:05:55 pm »
Mandy, thanks.  I will check the thread.

Della - Reincarnation flashbacks?  Not really.  I don't think I believe the flashbacks I've experienced, except for one.  I had one where I was with my younger brother by a river, and we were washing an Elephant as young men.  I have had one trans-channel tell me that I used to live with tigers.  I don't believe that either.  The last Tiger was around tried to attack me from its cage, and it was indeed crouching, and on that very same day I ran across a pond to avoid the elephant that was being taken out for a walk.  That was two years ago, and I haven't been up to Michael Jackson's ranch again ever since.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2006, 03:35:51 pm »
My mother was a geologist and a photographer--rock strata make me horny (or something around that time did). CLICK TO ENLARGE
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2006, 03:46:41 pm »
I remember in Junior high, a bunch of my friends had a sleep over. This was the mid-80's and having one pierced ear was the cool thing. My friend that night decided to pierce their ears. They were guys. Going to an ear piercing place was not macho enough, so in their bathrooms with needles and rubbing alcohol, they pierced each other's ears. I being the nerd of the group wasn't pressured too much into doing it, so I didn't.

Good for you, Starbie.  :)  I still can't believe I did one of my own, let alone two.  Where did that girl go?  I was asking passers-by for an epidural on my way to the hospital to have my son years later.  (Though I must say, I had *zero* fear of the needle in that case, too.)

You know, I think I'd have had a much harder time doing someone else's than my own.  Whenever my son has a sliver I need to extract using a needle, it's just the hardest thing in the world even to go through one or two layers of skin of his finger to get it out.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2006, 07:34:12 pm »
Thanks for the jpeg Julie, that's a really sweet one.

Flash,

Della - Reincarnation flashbacks?  Not really.  I don't think I believe the flashbacks I've experienced, except for one.  I had one where I was with my younger brother by a river, and we were washing an Elephant as young men.  I have had one trans-channel tell me that I used to live with tigers

What's a trans-channel?

I've known at least 3 people who either had flashbacks or were strongly unreasonably attracted to a time and place or had horrible aversions to items for no reason (one disliked any kind of pegboards with pegs in them because he felt that in a prior life, as a thief in jolly old England, he had his eyes put out.  An ex-boyfriend could not sit through any movie/tv/book recreations/descriptions of torture.   He'd get up and leave in the middle of a movie if that happened.  He felt as if that had happened to him before in another life).  A ex-boss of mine was Wiccan and she strongly believed in reincarnation.  She believed I had a past life due to my own strong attractants, but I've never had a dream or flashback, just every now and then something will catch my eye and it seems extremely strangely famiiar..

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2006, 05:14:11 am »
I started getting visitations about 10 years ago.  They usually manifest as broken things being mysteriously fixed at times when I need guidance or encouragement.  The last time it happened was the day before my cabaret show in Oct. 2004.  I had a pair of pants that I wanted to wear for the second half of the show and the button had come off of them months previous.  I always wore a belt with them so it didn't matter, but I figured since I was going to be onstage I may as well put one on.  Not having any sewing paraphanalia at home, I put the pants in my backpack and took them to the costume shop at work.  When I got there and took the pants out of the backpack, there was a button on them.  Poof.

I've also had a chip on one of my favorite mugs be miraculously repaired without a scratch.  And I've seen a ghost or two.  One was a little dog that twice appeared on my bed at night, once contentedly laying next to me and once walking in place at the foot of the bed.  Good thing I'm not afraid of spirits.  They're just us without bodies.

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2006, 05:32:47 am »
I've been on a game show.  I was 8 years old and I was on "Just Like Mom" which is unlikely to be known by those not from Canada.  I had gone to a taping with my friend when she was on and decided that it was something I must do.  I have always been an attention whore, lol.  I somehow convinced my painfully shy mother to do the show with me and we had a great time.  It was 1984 so the hair and clothing are quite entertaining.  I had my Cabbage Patch Kid with me, which was strange because the other two kids I competed against had CPKs with them as well....  The idea of the game is like The Newlyweds except with parent and child rather than spouses.  You try to guess the answers the other person gave to questions.  I competed against an adorable boy named Shawn and a bitch (yes, an 8 year old bitch, lol) named Nikki.  She cheated the whole time - when her mom would start to give a wrong answer Nikki would start humming to let her know she was wrong and she'd stop and change her answer.  Can you believe the nerve??!?!?! 

My mom and I got a record-setting zero questions right.  The show culminates in a cook-off where the kids wear chef hats and have to make a certain dessert with a variety of ingredients in front of them.  Then the mothers had to taste each of them (after they were lovingly baked in the microwave, ew) and guess which one was made by their child.  We had to make chocolate coconut bars and I added normal ingredients, including an entire bag of chocolate chips, lol.  The other two were putting in revolting things such as Orange Crush and ketchup (i.e. condiments).  My mama knew she didn't raise no fool, so she picked mine correctly.  However the Cheater and her mother also got it right so she won.  And then she got to spin the Wheel of Prizes to see what she would go home with.  Well, didn't she spin herself the best and rarest prize on the wheel - a trip to DisneyWorld.  I got a t-shirt and a necklace.  I was crushed and CONSUMED with jealousy.  I wanted desperately to kick some 8-year-old ass.  But at the same time, I was on t.v. so that made me very happy.  I got people asking me if I had been on all the way through high school thanks to reruns.  So embarrasing.  It's a little insulting to be recognized at 17 from a show you did at age 8 with a terrible haircut and a red courdoroy dress. 

So that's my random story - hope you enjoy!   8)     
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 05:57:30 am by Nicole »
   Cowboys do it better

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2006, 10:37:04 am »
Kirk, did you see that new picture of sleeping Jack posted on the new photos thread where the blue heeler is curled up beside him? Awesome picture! And Flash/Mandy, I believe in reincarnation too!

moremojo

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2006, 10:39:32 am »
And I've seen a ghost or two.  One was a little dog that twice appeared on my bed at night, once contentedly laying next to me and once walking in place at the foot of the bed.  Good thing I'm not afraid of spirits.  They're just us without bodies.
I saw the apparition of my departed cat Segunda. My sister and I had Segunda since she was a kitten, and when she was about twelve or thirteen, she became old and sick, finding it difficult to eat and losing a lot of weight fast. My sister and I felt the merciful thing to do was to deliver her to the vet to be medically put to death.

Sometime thereafter, for about a week or so, I kept seeing these little flashes of light in my peripheral vision. I would always glance towards the area where the light seemed to appear, and nothing would be there. Then, one evening at home, I saw another flash of light in my peripheral vision to my right. I glanced in that direction, and saw Segunda come running down the hall, stopping by the front door and looking right at me with a curious expression in her face. Then, just like that, she simply wasn't there anymore. There was nothing frightening about the experience,  and I felt a quiet sense of wonder in the affirmation I had just received that the spirit endures the body's demise.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:21:35 pm by moremojo »

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2006, 10:56:32 am »
A trans-channel is a person who can leave their body and allow an highly evolved being in to deliver discourses to benefit or teach people.  The most famous transchannel is JZ Knight who channels Ramtha, the subject of the movie "What The Bleep Do We Know?".

Believe it or not I consider myself a Christian who is on his proper path.  It just so happens that I would be persecuted by other Christians (with whom I rarely commune) for walking this path.

Kirkmusic, I have had many experiences with spirits.  The difference is, I prefer that they leave me alone.  I have a hard enough time telling my spirit guides (who are definitely helpers of the light) to butt out of my "bidness".  Oh the arguments they get from me..."If you're sooo good and perfect, then why don't you try living my life?"  I am told my guides laugh it off.  I don't like to be laughed at...

Perhaps this was a little TMI, TMI, TMI....

But at least it was random.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2006, 12:29:01 pm »
Hmm, well I have a variety of crafts that I tend to work on at times, actually part of a business that I'm trying to run. I handblend fragrances for my friends and co-workers. I also make jewelry. And I taught myself the art of calligraphy.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2006, 02:26:18 pm »
Okay, here's another random one, and it might be a bit of a shocker: 

I am sexually attracted to women, hence my slight bi-phobia and heterophobia. 

I would say that only 2% of my sexuality registers as hetero, but when that two percent rears it's head, it ain't pretty.  Kind of animalistic and permiscutary (for you fans of Shirley Q. Liquor).  I've never ever acted upon it, and never will.

I'm actually quite the feminist, and champion of women's rights. However, I could never be emotionally attached to women on anything other than a surface level, for a number of reasons.

So, for those who may think Flashframe is extremely gay - you're right.  But two percent of the time you'll be shocked out of your box (no pun intended).

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2006, 04:42:21 pm »
Front - I don't really believe in reincarnation, I just did that little BBM art thing for fun. But it's totally cool that you do  :)

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2006, 05:04:47 pm »
Kirk, did you see that new picture of sleeping Jack posted on the new photos thread where the blue heeler is curled up beside him? Awesome picture!

Seen it and saved it!  :)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2006, 07:57:26 pm »
A trans-channel is a person who can leave their body and allow an highly evolved being in to deliver discourses to benefit or teach people.  The most famous transchannel is JZ Knight who channels Ramtha, the subject of the movie "What The Bleep Do We Know?".

Believe it or not I consider myself a Christian who is on his proper path.  It just so happens that I would be persecuted by other Christians (with whom I rarely commune) for walking this path.

Kirkmusic, I have had many experiences with spirits.  The difference is, I prefer that they leave me alone.  I have a hard enough time telling my spirit guides (who are definitely helpers of the light) to butt out of my "bidness".  Oh the arguments they get from me..."If you're sooo good and perfect, then why don't you try living my life?"  I am told my guides laugh it off.  I don't like to be laughed at...

Perhaps this was a little TMI, TMI, TMI....

But at least it was random.

I'm not sure I buy the trans-channel thing.  Guess I'd have to listen to one and check it out for myself.  Interesting version of Christianity you got going though, Flash.

The only spirits I've had experience with was one of my old cats.  Two died of old age a few years ago and for months afterwards, I could still hear them running and walking on the carpet like they used to (this was BEFORE I got my newest set of cats).  And one night, my sister called me at 3 am, for something and while I was laying on the bed, half-asleep, I could feel the cats walking near my body on the bed - you know how their weight pushes down the mattress and you can feel it? - and I didn't think anything of it for a few seconds.

Then I remembered that I no longer had cats.  I turned my head quick and there sitting in the hall where she liked to sleep way my old cat Algie.  Two blinks later, she was gone.

If anyone could make herself an apparition, she could.  She had the heart of a lion.  Miss her still...

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2006, 08:08:11 pm »
Hmm... so long as we're travelling down a slightly alternative path on this thread now - here's anotherie from me: I was extremely psychic as a child - I would have prophetic visions, I would be able to locate lost items by simply closing my eyes and asking my "guide", if you like, where they were. I would see the object in my head as though I were looking at it.  I'd know hours in advance when we were getting visitiors or phone calls and there was this one freaky time where we were driving home from seeing my grandparents at the coast and I went into a panic, yelling for mum to pull the car around.  We were on a highway, so she couldn't but she pulled over for about 20 seconds.  As we pulled out onto the road again, a semi-trailer coming the other way, hit an oil slick, jackknifed and flipped over onto our side of the highway - it landed on 3 cars, one of which would have been ours, had we stayed on the road. I don't remember how many people were killed but it was more than 4.  *shivers*

I wasn't comfortable with this ability after that - I was about 8 - so I consciously suppressed it. But I still have shades of it now - here and there.  There ya go, am I a freak or what??  ???
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 08:11:50 pm by hungry_hungryhippos »
Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2006, 08:38:40 pm »
I wouldn't say I was psychic, but I believe my mother and I had an intense connection.  So intense that we could know across the miles if something was terribly wrong with the other.  We talked pretty much every day on the phone when I was living in Ohio and she in New York.  One day, I suddenly had a bad feeling driving home from work.  I couldn't quite place it but just somehow knew it had something to do with her.  I called her as soon as I got home and found out her beloved cat Norton had died suddenly an hour or so before - he had a stroke or some kind of seizure.  Another time a while later, I was cooking some soup on the stove.  I lifted the pan off the burner when it started to boil a little, but got lost in thought for a second and got my hand too close to the element and burned the right side of it.  I was running it under cold water when the phone rang.  Swear to God, it was my Mom, and she said, "Did something just happen to your hand - your right hand?"  I about dropped the phone.  It turned out she'd been sitting there reading when she suddenly got a burning pain on the right side of her right hand and just somehow knew it had something to do with me.

Those were the two most memorable experiences like that we had.  There were many others that weren't so dramatic - just generally knowing somehow that the other was feeling down or sick or had had a particularly bad day by no other means than just a kind of gut feeling.  We were never wrong.

I wish I could say I've seen a ghost - I think that would be kind of cool.  But I haven't.  There have certainly been times I felt another presence in the room when no one was there.  I like to think it was my Mom sometimes, and other times my dog Layla.  Usually it's a benevolent presence, but sometimes I get that hair standing up on the back of my neck feeling for no reason, as well.  Probably all just coincidence.  But interesting, nonetheless.
No more beans!

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2006, 02:13:46 am »
My room at home is at the end of the hall. I used to sleep with my door open when I was little, so I could see all the way down the hall from my bed. On more than one occasion I would wake up and see a ghost of an old man wearing scraggely clothes at the end of the hall. For some reason it never scared me. My house is pretty old, so that might have something to do with it. That is the extent of my ghost experience.

My town is one of the most haunted towns in America. Like it's in books and stuff about ghost activity. Andrew (littledarlin) has even heard of my town because of the hauntedness. I thought that was pretty funny.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2006, 04:47:16 am »
I have some strange ghost experiences to share...

First of all, I guess I should tell you that I live in a relatively small town north of Dallas named after a particular landmark which seems to have been cursed by a Native American tribe of some sort (can't remember the exact name of the tribe). But anyway, one part of the curse was that no building built on the landmark would stand. In the two times since that curse was placed there, one house burned down mysteriously and the other building was picked up by a tornado and completely demolished. No one has tried to build there since, although about 5 years ago the local Tom Thumb did want to build on the Mound. Ummm, no. It's a state monument.

Well, no one is really quite sure what the Mound is, It was not used as a burial mound by the tribe that cursed it, but that is what some people think it is. Anyway, so there are rumors that there are native americans buried all over the place.

Some of my more frightening ghostly encounters occured at work, in the middle of the night. For instance, one night I was paging something using the phone system and as I set the receiver down I heard someone (a man) say "Hello?" in an odd voice. I picked the phone back up again and tried to speak with whatever had just spoken.  It wasn't successful, as I was still paging. But no one else had heard the voice which I was certain came from the phone. And I was the only man working that night.

I was not the only one to work there who heard this entity. A co-worker was looking for something and asked aloud, as people sometimes do, "Well where the heck is it?" in Spanish. Only to be answered by a ghostly voice from nearby. "Behind you on the wall." in English. And yes, it was there.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2006, 05:51:10 am »
SHEYNE!  You weren't comfortable with an ability that saved your life?!?!?!?  What's that about?!?

Courtney - What town do you live in?  I want to go there.

The lower floor of the theatre I work in is haunted, presumably by the guy who originated the show who died in '95.  Whenever there's a big decision to be made abouT the show, our producer brings in a psychic to get an idea of what our founder wants.  Hey, it works.

And just to get us back on track, here's a non-ghost related random thing about me.  My great-Grandfather was Irving Mills, who was Duke Ellington's manager and sometimes co-writer and a big figure in the Jazz scene in New York back in the 30's and 40's.  I haven't seen it but I'm told that there's a section about him in Ken Burns' Jazz documentary.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2006, 09:46:25 am »
SHEYNE!  You weren't comfortable with an ability that saved your life?!?!?!?  What's that about?!?

Maybe she was too young to absorb it.  'Seeing' such a thing about to happen is scary.  You later wonder what else you might 'see'.  And sometimes you don't want to know.  As an adult, I can see an ability llike that being very heavy
to carry because of the ramiifications of it.

Courtney - What town do you live in?  I want to go there.

Ditto.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2006, 10:10:57 am »
Love this thread!

Mandy - What's a skidoo?  My best driving story was I had a vision to drive around Australia a few years ago, drawing pictures.  I planned to go from town to town arting blackboards and portraits for a quid.  I friend of mine whose family had always been in the music business decided enough was enough and they were selling the family band bus, (Partridge Family-esque).  I, who has only ever driven a car, thought a bus would accomodate my hippy craving perfectly and agreed to test drive it with a view to purchase.  Surely a bus would be no harder to drive than a large sedan without power steering.  Two demolished letter boxes, a shattered house wall, a two meter ditch and an $3000 repair bill later I abandoned the bus idea and flew to Melbourne for a week's holiday.

Slayer - I sucked my thumb, much to the embarrasement of my mucho Dad, until I was 12yo.  It has recently been suggested that I resume the practice in the privacy of my home in a bid to quit smoking.

Vic - When I started Nursing it was very old school. When the Matron entered a room, evryone would have to stand at attention and be seated only after Matron had left or sat down.  We lived in a Nurse's home during training and had a curfew.  I was climbing through the window to my room one night after a VERY untidy night of dancing and drinking when the light switched on in my room and there stood Matron in her "Flying Nun" bonnet and a stern look on her face.  One foot in the window and the rest of me dangling precariously in the wind I asserted, "You'll have to forgive me for not standing Matron, but I wasn't expecting company!"  I wasn't fired, but I was asked to leave the the residence...FOREVER!

Barb - When I was 25 and a mature aged university student I thought it would be a cool study to have my ear pierced and report the attitudinal responses of people around me for a sociology assignment, (in actuality I was a closet and loved the idea of wearing trendy jewelery, and this gave me an excuse). After extensive research on which ear was sexuality neutral appropriate, my sister sat me on the loo and rammed a needle through my ear sans ice cube, .  I threw up, passed out, and awoke with a sparkling new identity!  I came out 6 months later!  The other ear was pierced by a proffessional, much to the disgust of my willing sis!  Eventually in later years, because of my restaurant business and the potential for dropping into food, I had my elephant (LUCK) engraved earing soldared permanently in place.  I lost that earing when swimming in LA on a holiday in 1996.  In 1998 I recieved a letter in the post with no return address and post marked USA containing the earing.  To this day I have no idea who sent it back.

Front Ranger - OMG! You could be the next bargaining chip for world peace! At the time you must have felt so betrayed.

Becky - i have only ever broken one bone, (acknowledging that nose is cartilage), and that was when a horse ripped my finger off when I was 16yo.  I have scared many a young child with pretences of picking my nose with it however!

Sheyne - After going on several dates with you now, I understand why you choose not to date seriously.  I have TaeKwondo demonstration scars all over my body!

Delalluvia - I like to dress to enhance an occassion too, but really, it has never been a great success for me.  Example was the last theme party I attended.  Didn't go down gracefully at all.  It seems that a yellow tutu is not an option for a 40-ish yo man!

Paul - I do love the Italian language.  They tend to express so well with their hands!

Bouby - I wore a watermellon costume several years ago as a participant of the GLBT Sydney Mardi Gras.  We were part of the "Industry Fruits" Float.

David - Did you earn the collegue's respect, or did you just get more inter office Emails to go up to the roof?

Moremojo - When I was in hospital for my ripped off finger, I was placed in the "terminal peadiatric ward" due to lack of beds in the other wards.  The child next to me was a 9 year old girl with Cerabral Palsy who had stopped eating and was on a drip, but would not allow food to enter her mouth.  Flexi staws were a new invention back then I thought they were a wonderful invention.  I would play with The girl, (Jackie) and do tricks with the straws.  She eventually gave into their wonder and began to use them to drink and eventually eat.  She is now in her later 30s, married and with child.  Her mother got  message to me some years ago and told me that her child's name is Ray.

Flash - I too believe in reincarnation.  It can't possibly stop here! I have undergone several hypnotic explorations that have produced the same results.  I have previously lived as a Japanese native who perished in lava, and French bounty hunter who was shot by a jealous neighbour.  I experience deja vu regularly, and premise many events that eventuate.

Jeff and Shug - my first crush was before I was aware of sexuality.  it was aimed at my then 16 yo uncle who dragged himself out of a river after spear fishing and curled the wetsuit from his body as the moon highlighted his taught body.  i was very young and in awe of his beauty.  The irony is that he was the ONLY relative to reject me when I came out, and to this day will not speak a full sentence to me.  One day I will tell him of his contribution!

Court - It is amazing that you were so resistent to the scoliosis.  So many people give in to it, like so many afflictions,  and it affects their very existence.  Well done.  New meaning to 'straighten up and fly right'!

Chanteraise - 4 Passports!  I have been struggling to get ONE!  Many years ago I was charged with possession of marijauna.  A mate and I were sitting in a laneway beside our favourite club smoking a spliff when we were pounced upon by two policepersons.  My mate held the joint at the time and the bag of pot sat in his jacket pocket. He'd only been granted residency a week earlier and it was my first thought that he would be deported.  I spoke up and claimed the stash as my own.  BOTH of us were hauled to the cop shop and any attempts to get sense out of us was pointless, (We were stoned for f*ck's sake)  The senior cop was not impressed and showed very little leniencey!  We were both charged and ordered to appear in court.  We dressed respectably and pleaded guilty with thoughtless abandon!  The judge told us that we should have more sense and we were fined $800 each and "no conviction recorded".  Each time I applied for a passport it has been rejected because of this charge, (until now), and "no conviction recorded" means diddly squat!  The irony here is that my mate, to this day, has not paid the fine, and lives comfortably unaffected by the coviction.

Luise - I own three pairs of shoes in total! Am I a dag?

Deedee - I was selected to be a dancer in a video clip for Vanessa Amorosi once.  I fell off the stage and my enthusiasm was deemed "inappropriate".  I did NOT get a call back!

Starby - When i began University I couldn't get used to NOT having to request toilet time.  I would walk confidently out of my lectures whenever the need arose and would shape up to the urinal and feeling the guilt, nothing would come out.  in the end I would just squirm in my seat and wait until the lecture was done!

Amy - I love clowns simply because I am one!  Am I therefore evil?  :o

Ann Marie - I too would love the Rocky Horror weekly showing.  We would wear raincoats because our theatre allowed water bombs.  Gone are the days!

Julie - Great about your Mum, but what about you?!

Kirk - I worked many years on night duty and have experienced my share of ghosts.  Every hospital I worked in had it's own ghost and it would be collaberated by the staff who worked there.  i believe there is no dobt that residual souls exist.

Nicole - I had sex with Boy George.  I know, I know, it's not  even a game show, but it felt sorta like a top prize at the time.  He was out here for NYE back many moons ago.  He was at the Aubry hotel, leaning against a wall, very shy believe it or not, and I was the only joker game enough to talk to him.  Well, one thing and another.... we had a great time and he is a nice guy..., for one night anyhoooooo.  I felt like the cat who ate the cheese.

Daniel - I have my own brand of calligraphy.  It sorta goes like this lsafdgsgcqkjarylacy;a, but I'm in awe of those that can create beautiful script.  I feel like I have parkinsons when i attempt it!

~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2006, 10:23:12 am »

Attention BetterMost Trembleyians:  Read Ray's post below and you'll understand why I just LOVE this guy.  To bits.  Enough to wish on Aladdin's lamp that was actually a gay fella myself. LOL...

Especially read the bit addressed to Nicole..  Still giggling my head off about it.

Ray? Re... the taekwondo demonstration scars??  Honey, you love it.  You know you do.
Chut up!

Offline David

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2006, 10:54:11 am »
From Ray:
David - Did you earn the collegue's respect, or did you just get more inter office Emails to go up to the roof?

Well,  I don't know if I earned their respect or not, but they did tell me that I should keep my knees together the next time I moon someone!    LOL

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2006, 11:03:57 am »

Attention BetterMost Trembleyians:  Read Ray's post below and you'll understand why I just LOVE this guy.  To bits.  Enough to wish on Aladdin's lamp that was actually a gay fella myself. LOL...

Especially read the bit addressed to Nicole..  Still giggling my head off about it.

Ray? Re... the taekwondo demonstration scars??  Honey, you love it.  You know you do.

Auntie Mame!  For some people, life is a carnivale.  And apparently so is Ray!  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Easter dinner invitation to Tremblayans
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2006, 11:15:07 am »
Inviting my favorite brokies to Easter/Passover/Spring Equinox (for us pagans) dinner! The menu is at:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=710.0 in my Brokeback blog.
Best wishes, Front-Ranger

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2006, 11:27:59 am »
Bumping for later and..

.. my radom thing -> I know Edwin Hawkins. You know? The guy who wrote "Oh Happy Day". Most people think he's veeeeeeery old or dead, but it ain't so. He's 62 (*born 1943) and wrote that classic in 1969. I sang in a Gospel Choir (from 1997 to +/- 2003) and our choir director had (and still has) very good contact with Afro-American Gospel singers/composers. So he, among others, came over (still does) to Europe regularly for festivals the choir director organized.

When I was still a member of the choir, we would often have dinner in smaller groups after events and a couple of times Edwin would accompay us and I used to help translate (German to English) at the dinner table. Very unassuming guy. Very friendly and a little shy.

He's coming to Germany in May (singing with one of the choirs from my choir director) and I'll be going.

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2006, 11:40:06 am »
Ray, I *must* know:  Which ear *is* sexuality neutral appropriate?  An openly gay man I work with has ony his left ear pierced.  Another openly gay man I work with has only his right.  I had always thought the left meant you were neutral or straight.  Probably shows what I know...
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2006, 11:52:28 am »
Ray, I *must* know:  Which ear *is* sexuality neutral appropriate?  An openly gay man I work with has ony his left ear pierced.  Another openly gay man I work with has only his right.  I had always thought the left meant you were neutral or straight.  Probably shows what I know...

Back in the old days for straight guys wanting their ear pierced, the refrain went "Left is right and right is wrong."

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2006, 11:58:10 am »
You got it  del!  Eventually I figured F*ck it, and being from "old days" I had both done!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2006, 12:26:38 pm »
By demand, my haunted hometown is Alton, IL. We even have 'Haunted Alton' tours around Halloween, which for some reason I've never been on. Our other claim to fame is that the Guiness World Record holder for tallest man in the world, Robert Wadlow, is from Alton (he's like over 7 feet tall and we have a statue of him that little kids like to stand next to). Elijah P. Lovejoy, who was very active in the Civil Rights movement, is also from Alton. So is another guy, can't remember who at the moment, but we're not as proud of him because I think he's famous for killing a president.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2006, 01:01:10 pm »
I don't really believe in ghosts and such, (although, my TV did turn off as I was watching the Ring, but it was an old TV), but they fascinate me and I love hearing about 'em.

Sheyne - Wow, that's all I can really say about that, wow. Have you had any sort of experience like that lately?

Ray - Whoa! Lots of cool stuff. You slept with Boy George?? Wow! BTW, a skidoo is a snow-mobile. Like a Sea-doo except driven on snow. In my hometown in Labrador, I think there are more skidoos around than cars!

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2006, 01:11:21 pm »
 I have TaeKwondo demonstration scars all over my body!

that's actually rather sexy.  :) it'd be fun to count your scars.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2006, 01:50:59 pm »
Wow, I just read this thread from page 1 to page 4. You are an interesting group of people! I never meet such diverse people in real life, maybe it's the homogenization of the suburbs. I don't know.

Ray - Boy George! That's totally cool. I've never known anyone that slept with someone famous.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2006, 03:41:09 pm »
OBEDIENCE just killed me.  ::)

A woman after my own heart! I find it impossible to be obedient without questioning, without having my say... I have a problem with authority (well, others'! lol).
I wouldn't mind the poverty, but chastity... ummm...
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

vkm91941

« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2006, 04:31:44 pm »
OBEDIENCE just killed me.  ::)

A woman after my own heart! I find it impossible to be obedient without questioning, without having my say... I have a problem with authority (well, others'! lol).
I wouldn't mind the poverty, but chastity... ummm...

Wel my mom use to say I was a born anachist so obedience was bound to be a problem in retrospect ...At 18 the chastity thing was NO problem...now it would KILL me.. ;)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2006, 04:49:51 pm »
As random as it can get: I did a lot of roller skating from age 6, and grew up with my knees permanently bleeding/covered in scabs. Didn't stop me for all that. Till I become a teenager and went off sport altogether.

I have my own mystery story: 15 years ago next summer, the guy I loved more than my own life, died in a car crash. I was living abroad,  and I didn't hear the news till after the burial. I didn't know his parents, and since there were no ashes to scatter on any mountain, I couldn't bring myself to get in touch with them. I just wanted to go to the graveyard on my own, and asked the townhall of his home town where he'd been buried. They indicated a small town, I went there and looked around but found no grave with his name on it. I also kept thinking before I had finished going around: "he is not here, he is NOT here".
There was an old man there, and I asked him if he'd known Cyrille (this was a very small town). He said he had, but that he was buried in another, bigger town. I went there. As soon as I entered, I knew he WAS there. And believe me, although that cemetery was BIG, I walked straight to his grave, where I had never been before.

Apart from this, I have several times heard voices call my name or say hello, when there was no one around, and I'd say I believe in reincarnation. Would be lovely to know we'll all meet again somehow in another life. One in which we can keep watching BBM. We'll have to design before long a way to recognize each other, all of us brokies, in our next incarnation...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 04:59:45 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2006, 04:54:13 pm »
[
Wel my mom use to say I was a born anachist so obedience was bound to be a problem in retrospect ...At 18 the chastity thing was NO problem...now it would KILL me.. ;)
[/quote]

This is me! I am really an anarchist, although no practising one anymore (I mean I don't belong to any Anarchist group).  My motto is Groucho Marx's : " I wouldn't like to belong to a group that would accept me as one of its members", or something along these lines. Corrections anyone?
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2006, 05:02:14 pm »
Heh, you guys are just wanna-be anarchists. Real anarchists are very unpleasant people and that's not you guys.  I'd call you 'rebels with many causes'.  ;D

In some ways, reincarnation is a wonderful idea in other ways not so great.  Think about this, many people and some here on this board, have had not so great lives.  Some versions of reincarnation posit that one goes through many lives with the same people.

Can you fathom how horrible that could be if you've been abused or hurt by people close to you in this life, possibly just managing to escape them or their influence just to go to another life and find yourself surrounded by the same people again?

You never meet anyone new.  It's always the same people. 

Not sure I like that idea.

Any other versions of reincarnation out there?

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2006, 05:09:38 pm »
You never meet anyone new.  It's always the same people. 

Not sure I like that idea.

Any other versions of reincarnation out there?
[/quote]

Well, what I heard was, you only get to have another shitty life if you haven't made the effort to come to terms with your issues and hang-ups in this one. And maybe next time, if you get to meet the same people again, maybe you can turn the tables on them, hehe... No, I guess that's not the idea, is it? Nawww, I dunno. I kinda like the idea that I'll be coming back, because I think I may well need at least another life to get rid of all my bad sides/negative feelings and whatnot, before I can reach perfect wisdom and stop the cycle of reincarnations. I do talk like I know about this, but I don't, really.
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2006, 05:13:24 pm »
Heh, you guys are just wanna-be anarchists. Real anarchists are very unpleasant people and that's not you guys.  I'd call you 'rebels with many causes'.  ;D

And that's very nice of you, but yes I was in my city's anarchist group for a few years, when I was a young rebel (granted, MANY causes!). Now I am a tired rebel. Maybe the anarchists I hung out with were not the real ones, cos they were not all bad. Or maybe it's just the French anarchists, just posing as such, but really being their idealistic selves, with not much action!
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline scottf.

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2006, 05:31:36 pm »
Screeeeeeching back to the original thread:

Before I knew I was gay, I had a crush on Halley Mills.

Then, when I knew I was gay, I had a crush on Dick Cavett; then I had a crush on James Caan in The Godfather, then....

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2006, 05:32:44 pm »
Hi Isabelle,

I don't know, you may be right.  I think some version of Buddhism states that just because one life is shitty, that's because you're there to learn something or master something, so the next life may be an improvement.  Just because one person was abusive to you in this life, may not mean they'll be abusiive to you in the next.

Usually the comments I hear when someone has treated me or someone badly is that 'You must have done something bad to them in a previous life' which, of course, is not reassuring.

As for anarchism, most of the stuff I've read about them follows these definitions:

#  The theory or doctrine that all forms of government are oppressive and undesirable and should be abolished.
# Active resistance and terrorism against the state, as used by some anarchists.
# Rejection of all forms of coercive control and authority

Which of course means that anarchists don't believe in democracy, they want to overthrow the state no matter what it is, reject teaching institutions of all kinds (political/secular/religious), and believe that violence is perfectly justifiiable in pursuing their causes, etc., etc.

Like I said, not very nice people.

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2006, 06:15:22 pm »
Screeeeeeching back to the original thread:

Before I knew I was gay, I had a crush on Halley Mills.

Then, when I knew I was gay, I had a crush on Dick Cavett; then I had a crush on James Caan in The Godfather, then....

You are too funny.. but I gotta tell you, I still have a crush on James Caan, but  Dick Cavett???

Marlene Dietrich

Offline David

« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2006, 06:25:55 pm »
Oooo?  are we talking crushes now?

Going back a few years, I had a crush on a young Robert Redford from the Great Gatsby!  Oh to have been the Daisy he longed for. 

I saw Meet Joe Black a few times to see Brad Pitt.  That love scene up by the pool was very steamy indeed!

::)

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2006, 07:31:06 pm »
All I want for Christmas..

Marlene Dietrich

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2006, 08:39:28 pm »
My father (a Jew) became a pacifist right at the beginning of World War II, and without preaching, or even talking much about it, passed this belief down to both his children, his grandchildren, and his grea-grandchildren. (I'm in there somewhere). A pacifist believs that war is such a dumb way opf settling dfisputes, he doesn't want to have anything to do with it. OR any othert kind of killing of human beings. (Even legally, by the state).

"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2006, 01:19:10 am »
Something random about me:

I can play the euphonium and do so frequently in my small town Bavarian brass orchestra (we have funny Robin-Hoodesque uniforms);

8)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 02:16:29 am by pipedream »