Author Topic: 'Brokeback Mountain': Milestone or movie of the moment? (USA Today)  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
USA Today had a semi-lengthy report on the question of whether Brokeback Mountain is a big story for the moment, or if it marks a milestone.

Film critic and historian Leonard Maltin expects Brokeback to prompt people to reconsider homosexual relationships in much the same way that The Defiant Ones, In the Heat of the Night and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner raised the consciousness on race relations in the late 1950s and '60s.

"The movie is in some uncharted waters, because it shows what it's like for two men to feel that kind of longing and passion for each other, and people aren't used to that," Maltin says. "No one movie is going to turn things around, but they can be building blocks. That could be this movie's legacy."

It will take some help from moviegoers. Charlize Theron, who won an Oscar for portraying a serial killer who was also a lesbian in 2003's Monster, says audience support for challenging fare, whether gay-themed or politically charged, is the key to a shift in Hollywood.

And that, Judy Shepard says, might be all the movie needs to do. The death of her gay son, Matthew, in 1998 stirred a national debate over violence against gays. The murder is referenced vaguely in a scene in Brokeback.

Shortly before his death, her son gave her a copy of the story that inspired the film, Shepard says.

She doubts the movie will have an immediate effect on gay rights "because some people are ashamed to go see it. Even some of my friends — my friends — say it's just a gay cowboy movie and are afraid of something like that."

But when people can rent it privately, "I think they'll see it how I see it: as a story that's trying to say that you can't help who you fall in love with. If it opens just a few eyes to that, then it's done a good thing."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2006-02-21-brokeback_x.htm
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 11:26:12 am by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline John Passaniti

• Town Administration
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: 'Brokeback Mountain': Milestone or movie of the moment? (USA Today)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 11:28:43 am »
[...] The death of her gay son, Matthew, in 1998 stirred a national debate over violence against gays. The murder is referenced vaguely in a scene in Brokeback.

It was?  A Google search suggests some interesting factoids, such as the short story was written not long after Matthew was killed, and that the murder occurred about 30 miles away from where Annie lives.  And it isn't hard to imagine that Annie generically drew on the murder of Matthew for the story that became Brokeback Mountain.  But the quote says the murder was "referenced" in the movie.  It was?  Or is this a case of whoever wrote the USA Today article making an assumption that there is an association?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 04:11:01 pm by John Passaniti »

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Re: 'Brokeback Mountain': Milestone or movie of the moment? (USA Today)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 10:19:38 pm »
My understanding is that Annie Proulx wrote the story about one year before Matthew was killed.  The short story does not say anything about what exactly happened to Jack Twist.  We, as viewers, are left to interpret the flashed scene as either reality or what Ennis imagines the real story was.  I suspect what USA Today was referencing was a comparison between that specific scene and the violence inflicted upon Matthew in Wyoming.

From IMDB:

Her short story "Brokeback Mountain," which contains a character who is killed in a Wyoming gay-bashing, was published in The New Yorker in 1997, almost exactly one year before the real-life murder of gay Wyoming man Matthew Shepard. Proulx, who lived close to where Shepard was beaten, was called to but not selected for jury duty for the trial of Shepard's murders.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming