Author Topic: The Young Riders  (Read 4993 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
The Young Riders
« on: January 03, 2007, 03:12:14 pm »
As part a the Boxing week (post-Christmas) sales, I picked up (fer 17.50$) the first season a this western series begun in 1989 (and lastin fer 3 years).

It's western flavour is unmistakable (as is it's made-fer-TV feel), however I am enjoyin the viewin - I'm up ta the third episode.

BTW, never was too int'rested in western movies or series before BBM - yet another a the changes that that movie's brought about in ma life.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Young Riders
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 03:20:24 pm »
I know what you mean, Ro...I picked up "Once Upon a Time in the West" the other day and I'm planning to see the whole Sergio Leone series, including "A Fistful of DOllars" "For a Few Dollars More" and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 11:20:10 pm »
Um, I'm assuming you've all seen the "classics," like Stagecoach (any Western directed by John Ford, for that matter), Shane, High Noon, and The Magnificent Seven?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 11:35:52 pm »
This thread was hopefully going ta discuss the relatively recent series "The Young Riders" but I guess it wasn't ta be

All a you are suggestin we go back to the 40's 50's & 60's ta find some common "western" film ta discuss (with the exception a "Unforgiven" - but unfortunately, I seem ta be alone in not likin Clint)

For those int'rested in acquirin the first season a "The Young Riders", here's the cover image:

2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 11:50:24 pm »
Ah - The Young Riders from 1989

I love that series, saw every episode and will get a copy of it any way I can.
I actually wasn't aware that it had been released on DVD.

What drew me to it was the beautiful photography, the young men, and of course the music.
Gotta get this one.  eBay here I come.
PirateBay here I come.

Thanks guys.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 12:09:15 am »
Toast - yer from Toronto, right? Ah got ma copy a the first season here in TO, at ma local walmart - in the 2 fer 30$ (or 35$) bin. ya don't need ta go ta e-bay

Offline Toast

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 12:26:43 am »
Actually, Roland - I am in Newfoundland.
I better check out the local WalMarts.
Thanks Roland.

So far I have found this pic of the Young Rider gang - used to promote the series before it even aired.

I read somewhere that even though the series only lasted 3 years,
it actually survived longer than the Pony Express,
since the telegraph lines came through and messages were then sent over the wires.

There's a nice sequence in "Into the West" that shows more of the Pony Express riders.
They actually preferred orphans as riders.

I love the sandy scenery in the series, even though I know there is a steam iron behind one of these authentic looking buildings.  And someone is pressing these lovely shirts every day.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 03:24:40 pm »
Watched episode 4 yesterday - tried ta deal fairly with the Native American Indian in a way that was not possible in those other recommended classics of the 40's 50's & 60's.

Taday, on episode 5, Lou admitted he was a girl (hard ta believe, only one a them knew of it by now) - odd how one guy was willin ta admit he was startin ta look at him/her "funny"

Am still enjoyin the series

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 03:22:10 pm »
Seems like I'm watchin one episode per day

Episode 6 deals with slavery - there's even a mention a the undeground railway (ta Canada - fer runaway slaves)

I'm hooked - surprised that the series didn't catch on beyond 3 seasons - maybe the quality didn't survive the whole series, but so far, I'm glad I invested a mere 17,50$ ta try this first season out.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 10:15:27 pm »
Slowin down a bit - halfway throiugh the 22 episodes - still enjoyin em

Hey Toast, did ya find the DVD in yer local store? - ya re-watchin the first season yet?

Offline Toast

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 09:31:02 am »
Hi Sheriff Roland
I guess I don't visit WalMart often enough - lol
I finally got to sucessfully bid on a copy of the Young Riders on eBay.
I found a seller in Canada - save onpostage
and for about $25 I have a copy soming to me by Canada Post

Can't wait for the sand and music to be on my TV
You are right, the quality/balievability did suffer later on
They even had Jesse James on there as a kid.
Semmed to big of a stretch to me
But Season one - wow.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 09:41:32 am »
Bonjour Toast - Glad you'll soon be delvin back inta the series with me. I've paused in my viewin

Picked me up a second copy a BBM - full screen, and the 4th season a the "Waltons" didn't even know that the 3rd season was out!

Gread not havin ta pay fer cable - can get me a new season's series every month instead a loosin it in the cable 'black hole' - just not watchin TV anymore - not even Ugly Betty!