Author Topic: Observations on second to last scene (Junior+Ennis in trailer)  (Read 8289 times)

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Observations on second to last scene (Junior+Ennis in trailer)
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 01:41:12 am »
Your questions about the final trailer scenes:
  • Does Ennis have two visible hats in his trailer?
  • What is that [hand]bag on the bed?
  • Is there a continuity error about the cupboard doors?
  • Does Ennis have a purple plaid bed covering like the chairs in Childress?

Here we see into Ennis' foyer.  Atop the blue "utility" shelf we see two items that are later visible inside the trailer.  The grey one on the left would be directly under the hanging hat.
At least one third of the hat would be visible above the shelf in this shot, if it were already hanging there. 
So there is no hat there before Ennis enters the trailer.

Ennis is in the trailer, coffee heated and the hat is hanging above the blue shelf. 
The cupboard doors are closed.  Note the bag to the left of Junior.  [see below]

Ennis has gone to the fridge and is pouring wine into glasses.
We didn't see him open the cupboard door, but obviously that's where he keeps his glasses.
(There is a transition shot showing Junior with sound effects that could represent opening the cupboard, etc.)

We didn't see him close the cupboard door, but his left hand could do it easilly.
(There is a transition shot showing Junior with sound effects that could represent closing the cupboard, etc.)   Note the bag still to the left of Junior.  [see below]

Here we see Ennis re-entering the trailer after Junior has left.  He has worn his hat outside to see her off.

Here Ennis has walked down the trailer and is putting the same hat on the hook which is beside the other door to his trailer.

My answers about the final trailer scenes:
  • Does Ennis have two visible hats in his trailer?  NO
  • What is that [hand]bag on the bed?  - The bag on the bed did not come in with Junior and appears to be a heavilly tooled leather bag similar to a purse/handbag.  I think it is a "range bag" used by a cowboy/shooter to carry things, often shooting supples like cartridges, gun tools, cleaning supplies, etc. It could also be a saddlebag of some sort, not showing it's fastening straps.  Cowboys were macho enough to have a 'manbag' along with all the other saddle bags.  The position of the bag does change as we observe it either from the front or rear of Junior. (Not shown in these images)
  • Is there a continuity error about the cupboard doors? I think NOT
  • Does Ennis have a purple plaid bed covering like the chairs in Childress? NO, not plaid, but if we give Jack credit for the burgundy/purple color, does that mean that Jack picked these god-awful lurid chairs in Childress.  Jack as interior decorator - mmm.  Did he paint that bedroom pink?

ps.  These screen captures are from the full screen version, and are considerably brightened to show details.

Front-Ranger, what is this about the "propmaster's book"?   How do I find this book/information?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 01:58:49 am by Toast »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 02:05:48 am »
Thanks for the clarification, Toast.  Those are really nice caps.  8)
I'm still willing to leave some open space between what we see and what we try to believe, though.  ;)  Let's say I'll grant you the man-bag, but I think you're being generous about the cabinet door.  :)
I do agree about Jack's lack of qualifications for a career in interior decorating.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 02:25:17 am »

I do agree about Jack's lack of qualifications for a career in interior decorating.  ;D
I think Lureen did the decorating.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Toast

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 10:26:05 am »
By the way, I should have agreed that the bed covering (blanket or whatever) is from the range of colours that we see Jack wearing in the later years.

In fact when Jack returns in 1967 (at his most kissable moment), he is wearing a fetching shirt in a shade quite close to that of the blanket. 

I like that colour being linked to Ennis' bed where he does dream of Jack. 

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 12:43:11 pm »
Thanks Toast for your input and for the brightened pics.

About the color of the plaid: you're right, it's not purple, though I still find it pretty similar to the chairs. My dictionary offers three possible translations for the color I have in mind: burgundy, ruby-colored or cleret  ::). So everybody can pick wich s/he'd prefer  ;).

I like that colour being linked to Ennis' bed where he does dream of Jack. 

Yep, that's what I meant in my op, the color is a link between them.

About the (hand)bag: you are the second person (Clarissa was the other) who thinks it's not a female handbag, but a masculine bag.  Maybe Lee finds out something, otherwise we'll never know (guess we just gotta stand it then  ;)).

Offline Toast

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 01:22:02 pm »
Here is Jack, at the final lake scene, picking up things to load into his pickup.
There seems to be a pair of "range bags" or saddle bags that Jack puts in his pickup.
The bags seem less ornate and are more rounded than the one in the trailer.  This pair of bags are with a case that looks like it contains a fishing rod.  And Jack did put all three in his pickup.

Makes me wonder if Jack gifted Ennis with an expensive "range bag" at some point, and having it on the bed would be very meaningful.  There is a scene in the shooting script where Jack tried to give Ennis an expensive rifle with a gold plate on it; but Ennis rejected it because he knew he couldn't justify it to Alma.
Jack might have later been generous to Ennis, when there was no Missus to explain things to.  Maybe the gun showed up again with an accompanying "range bag".

OOPs I am talking about them as though they are real people. 

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 01:42:34 pm »
I tend to go with Alma Jr's purse.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 02:48:36 pm »
OOPs I am talking about them as though they are real people. 

You mean they are not  :o? No such cruel jokes please ;).

The bags seem less ornate and are more rounded than the one in the trailer. 

I counter your saddlebags/range bags with a similar handbag  ;D:

I stick with my handbag theory (doesn't make me right, though. Maybe only stubborn  ::)).

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 04:18:56 pm »
The bag beside Junior looks really shiny and stiff, like new leather. I guess any leather accessory starts out that way, but take leather outside into the weather (like you would with a range bag or a saddle bag), and it changes. It gets stained by water, it gets broken in and softened up. Even if it's polished a lot, it doesn't stay looking like that for long.

Of course, those of us who spill things in our purses ( ::) ) know that handbags can look stained and weathered after a while, too. And maybe Ennis would own something that he would keep indoors and for decoration and everything... but that doesn't fit with the character as I understand him.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 07:58:29 am »
The bag beside Junior looks really shiny and stiff, like new leather. I guess any leather accessory starts out that way, but take leather outside into the weather (like you would with a range bag or a saddle bag), and it changes. It gets stained by water, it gets broken in and softened up. Even if it's polished a lot, it doesn't stay looking like that for long.

Exactly.  Even a well-used purse can lose the sharp definition that this item has.  Ergo, ipso facto, and to wit - it's Ennis's super-extra-special folder that never goes outside and that he keeps his most specialest small, flat possessions in - the postcards. :)

Maybe he took it out so that it could sort of be present at The Numbering of the Mailbox.  "Jack, I swear, I wish you could send me another postcard to box #17."

(Since there IS some space between what we know and what we believe, I'm going with this enjoyable imagining, at least for a while.) :)

Nice sleuthing, Toast and everyone.