Author Topic: CT POLL: How Would You Describe Chez Tremblay?  (Read 8808 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: CT POLL: How Would You Describe Chez Tremblay?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 04:30:30 pm »
IMHO, the coffee/cherry cake thingie is overused.

You know, I hate to say this because people use the phrase with the very, very best intentions -- most often to newcomers, who probably haven't already read it 10,000 times -- but I am kind of tired of it, myself. It's like "wish I knew how to quit you," a great line we've heard just a little too often.

I like campsite + boot in fire - cyber/virtual. A campsite is the happiest place for conversation, in BBM terms, and the "boot in fire" is sort of an in-joke that many dedicated Brokies would recognize. And if they don't, no biggie.

Diner, cafe, etc. don't summon the happiest image, from a BBM perspective. How about "The BetterMost Cafe: Wanna piece of apple pie, don'tcha?"  :laugh: Kidding. (Though on some days, it would be appropriate!)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 10:30:06 pm »
I think the boot in the fire seals the deal on the first option.  :D

Yes, I'm aware that I'm guilty of over-using the cherry cake line.   :-\  ;)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 10:37:26 pm »
Re the cup of coffee and a piece of cherry cake phrase: It took me 20 or more viewings of BBM before I ever noticed Ma Twist uttering that to Ennis. I guess it just flew past me every time. I'm not the most observant person in the world.

But I wonder how many others missed it too? Sometimes I wonder if some people even know what everyone is talking about when they say it (or type it).  ???

It's cute. But I agree, it is very much overused.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 11:07:38 pm »
But I wonder how many others missed it too? Sometimes I wonder if some people even know what everyone is talking about when they say it (or type it).  ???

:laugh: Well, even if they have no idea what the phrase means, they probably take an offer of cake and coffee as a more welcoming gesture than a suggestion they stick their foot in a fire!  :laugh:

But in any case, the boot-in-fire image is funny and cute and film-appropriate; after all, putting your boot in the fire is what you do before a good conversation with a friend, as opposed to what you do after an offer of coffee and cherry cake, which is get verbally abused by Old Man Twist.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 11:31:01 pm »
:laugh: Well, even if they have no idea what the phrase means, they probably take an offer of cake and coffee as a more welcoming gesture than a suggestion they stick their foot in a fire!  :laugh:

But in any case, the boot-in-fire image is funny and cute and film-appropriate; after all, putting your boot in the fire is what you do before a good conversation with a friend, as opposed to what you do after an offer of coffee and cherry cake, which is get verbally abused by Old Man Twist.

Katherine, you are too funny  ;D

All right, I'll buy that the coffee and cake has had its fifteen minutes.  But the question remains:  Campfire, campsite, campground or something different?  Maybe I'll do another poll.  ::)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 11:40:37 pm »
The problem I see is that the name "Chez Tremblay" and the purpose of the group have two different meanings.   

"Chez Tremblay" sounds like a French sidewalk cafe to me.     Hardly the title of a Campsite up on Brokeback.

I like the Idea of us being a Campsite or Campfire to gather round and chat, but the title name doesn't fit it.     

But "Tremblay" obviously was our safe haven during the troll wars.   So many don't want to lose that heritage.

So Chez Tremblay sounds more like a Cyber Cafe to me.     But the Campfire Chat is more appropriate.    Two great ideas, but they don't sound good combined to me.

Just my $0.02     :-\

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 01:52:18 am »

Diner, cafe, etc. don't summon the happiest image, from a BBM perspective. How about "The BetterMost Cafe: Wanna piece of apple pie, don'tcha?"  :laugh: Kidding. (Though on some days, it would be appropriate!)

How about "That place in Dubois: Want gut cramps don'tcha?  Pull yer guts out hand over hand a yard at a time?" 

I think that has a certain je ne sais quoi AND is faithful to the original story. 

::)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 01:54:59 am »
How about "That place in Dubois: Want gut cramps don'tcha?  Pull yer guts out hand over hand a yard at a time?" 

I think that has a certain je ne sais quoi AND is faithful to the original story. 

::)

Clarissa! Where have you been? I haven't seen you (or rather "read you") in AGES!! They must really have you running around with this Administrator job!

I miss you!  :'(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 02:23:51 am »
Clarissa! Where have you been? I haven't seen you (or rather "read you") in AGES!! They must really have you running around with this Administrator job!

I miss you!  :'(

Hi David, I love being missed. :)  I was AWOL for the last five days, but even before that, I was feeling that way about YOU.  We haven't been overlapping as much. 

Where ya been?  Ain'tcha got those notes I left at your place?  (just kidding - I'm doing my Cassie impersonation.)

:)

UPDATE:  Whoa!  This was my 3000th post.  It snuck up on me. 

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 02:57:26 am by Ellemeno »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 04:14:23 pm »
Welcome back, Clarissa, and Happy 3000th!  8)

So Chez Tremblay sounds more like a Cyber Cafe to me.     But the Campfire Chat is more appropriate.    Two great ideas, but they don't sound good combined to me.

I see what you're saying, David.  I wish the two were more compatible, too.  But in the end, I think what happens on the forum is the most important thing.  People who are curious about the French name can find the explanation in the Welcome thread.

Far and away, the most popular description is the Campfire, so I'm just going to make a commitment to the following, and if people would say "Yea" or "Nay" I would appreciate it:

Chez Tremblay
Our BetterMost Campsite:  Pull up a log and stick a boot in the fire!

Ich bin ein Brokie...