Author Topic: The Infamous Electric Carving Knife - A Moment of Levity  (Read 21015 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Infamous Electric Carving Knife - A Moment of Levity
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 01:38:14 pm »
8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 10:58:11 am »
Tell you what, when I saw this thread pop up this morning, I was going to go back and delete my post, but on reading it, I think it still holds up pretty well after a year!  :laugh:

And it's only been a year. I would have thought this discussion had taken place a lot longer ago than just a year. Shows how memory plays tricks.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 11:12:43 am »
.......I thought EVERYONE owned and used one.....and when I saw it in the movie, I thought that was a pretty common occurence....

I did too. Had no idea there was so much macho-snobbery connected with an unremarkable kitchen appliance.

One thing I've always noted in references to Monroe is the tacit approval of male stereotypes when it comes to this character, but not to Ennis and Jack.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 01:42:23 pm »
I did too. Had no idea there was so much macho-snobbery connected with an unremarkable kitchen appliance.

One thing I've always noted in references to Monroe is the tacit approval of male stereotypes when it comes to this character, but not to Ennis and Jack.

Good point, Marge. But that's not just about biases on the part of commenters here. I believe that reaction is what the fillmmakers intended to provoke, and viewers respond to that.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 11:27:49 am »
Good point, Marge. But that's not just about biases on the part of commenters here. I believe that reaction is what the fillmmakers intended to provoke, and viewers respond to that.

So Ang Lee had a double standard about destructive male stereotypes -- verboten for characters he wanted us to like but okay when...... what?  The guy isn't good looking enough?  Somehow, I doubt that. It's more likely that the character pushes some unacknowledged-conflicts buttons in viewers.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 11:54:02 am »
So Ang Lee had a double standard about destructive male stereotypes -- verboten for characters he wanted us to like but okay when...... what?  The guy isn't good looking enough?  Somehow, I doubt that. It's more likely that the character pushes some unacknowledged-conflicts buttons in viewers.

This is interesting Marge, could you explain a little bit more about what you think the "unacknowledged conflict buttons" might be? 

I'm sure at some level this has a lot to do with stereotypes... and I do think Ang Lee may have been deliberately playing with audiences and their possible ingrained stereotypes (throughout the film and with various characters). 

In terms of Ennis and Monroe, I think this might be a case of Ang Lee simply trying to flip stereotypes around.  Meaning... that sometimes the most "macho"/ "tough guy" in town is a closeted gay man... and sometimes a less-than-macho/soft-spoken guy who likes to watch figure skating is a married straight man with a child on the way.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 11:59:21 am »
That, plus an electric knife is the domesticated, indoor, society way to cut up meat -- as opposed to cutting up a whole elk at the campsite.

I have a book that Pete Tannen gave me about elk that has a photo series on cutting up an elk in the field. The hunter is in full camoflage paint. Pretty scary stuff!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 12:13:23 pm »
This is interesting Marge, could you explain a little bit more about what you think the "unacknowledged conflict buttons" might be? 

Well, very few of us are as free of stereotypes and prejudices as we like to think we are. And while Ennis and Jack may challenge masculine stereotypes in terms of sexuality, someone like Monroe doesn't fit the stereotypes much better.  The actor has an unfortunate arrangement of features, described variously as bland and baby-faced, that would lead people to make negative assumptions about him. In a traditional Western movie, Monroe would have been the Western town's general storekeeper; here, he's translated into the Riverton grocer who wears an apron and knows what "condiments" are.  IMO, this character gives viewers who might feel some uneasiness about the implied challenges to American/Western/masculine stereotypes a kind of safety valve: now, here's a character that one can safely consider a "sissy" -- he even uses an electric knife.  That isn't a comment about BBM fans generally and certainly not about anyone on this thread, but Monroe, in addition to being a necessary plot device, does serve the classic dramatic function of a "foil."  And I guess it's possible that Ang Lee did intend that, come to think of it.

Of course, this character isn't much developed in the movie and even less in the ss, but I'd really question as to whether he can be considered "less of a man" than some of the other characters, especially Lureen's father. The "stud duck" displayes his perceived masculinity by dissing his son-in-law and insisting on carving poultry; Monroe is willing to have his stepdaughters' father at Thanksgiving dinner. And for that matter, he was willing to hang in there and wait for the woman he loved.

Well, I guess we've meandered pretty far from slicing up that turkey.....   ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 12:23:21 pm »

"Me neither."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »
I think the idea that Monroe serves as a foil is very good.

He's a classic nice guy it seems to me.  I think his image as less-than-macho or perhaps even a "sissy" is everything to do with the underlying stereotypes that have to do with sexuality (maybe more so... or linked with stereotypes about masculinity).  In this case, the reliable straight husband is the "sissy" and the gay man is the macho, tough guy.  Making the contrast between Ennis and Monroe marked and very obvious I think was certainly intentional in this regard.

And, I don't think we're too far off topic.  The electric knife is also all about stereotypes and even sexual stereotypes (metaphorically speaking).