Author Topic: Today is my anniversary of seeing BBM. It opened on Friday  (Read 5167 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Today is my anniversary of seeing BBM. It opened on Friday
« on: January 06, 2007, 01:17:38 pm »
January 6th in second tier markets. I still have the ticket stub.  Can't figure out what should I do with the day.  What did guys and girls do on their anniversary of seeing it in December? You know, you ppl who live in the big, big cities.  Can still vividly remember that day. Left work early for the first time ever to see a film. Got there an hour early which was wise as it was sell-out.  Remember seeing cars with out of state license plates (well, nearby states) in the cinema's parking lot. Person in line in front of me drove in from MOBILE, AL.  :o

I guess I will watch the movie. Maybe eat some BBQ.  "Go out and get drunk." Don't know about the last one.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Today is my anniversayr of seeing BBM. It opened on Friday
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 01:24:29 pm »
My anniversary was January 3 (it opened in Albuquerque on New Year's weekend, and I drove four hours one way to see it)... I celebrated by going to the full moon chat here.

I bought a ticket to see it January 6 in Albuquerque, before the powers that be decided to expand it faster... I've still got the unused ticket.

And then on January 6, it actually opened in my dinky, no-account mountain town! (We were a test market, yay! Probably because our local theater chain also runs a theater in Laramie. Plus some of us e-mailed the theater chain, um, multiple times, from multiple e-mail addresses, wanting to know if they were going to show it.  ::) ) So I've also got a ticket stub from January 7, when I saw it for a second time.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Today is my anniversary of seeing BBM. It opened on Friday
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 02:07:12 pm »
I remember the January 06th expansion.  The Tower Theatre in Sacramento, CA finally opened it in their market, after it had already been playing in the SF Bay Area since 12/09 & 12/16 respectively.

I rode the train up to Sacramento on Sunday Jan 08th and went to the Tower theatre.  They had it on two screens and it was completely SOLD OUT.  The people in this area/market were so 'hungry' to see BBM.  There was not a peep through the whole movie, except for laughter and clapping in all the right places.  The crowd CHEERED AND ROARED at the Thanksgiving scene!  I will never forget this experience!  :D  :)

Pictures of the Tower theatre this day are here on this thread:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,697.msg10069.html#msg10069

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 02:23:20 pm »
December 27th was my first anniversary of seeing the movie. I had to go to Boston to put my daughter on the train to New York City, so I decided to see the movie there. It hadn't opened here in Portland, Maine, yet.

It opened in Portland on New Year's weekend, however. My daughter Hannah and I went to see it on New Year's Day and it was completely sold out so we went to Casanova, instead.

On January 5th (Thursday) I was at work and suddenly was "possessed" to go see the movie. I left the office and caught the 3:40 pm show. So yesterday was my first anniversary of my second viewing of the movie.

I saved all the ticket stubs from all my viewings (6, not counting the special viewing in Boston in September).

What did I do on December 27th? Looked at ticket stubs, thought about the day. That was enough for me.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 02:39:49 pm »
Today is my anniversary. A beautiful spring day in January for it too, sunny and 65 Deg. F. outside. I made that same trip to Roanoke last night, but this time to see a rodeo. It was an evening I will never forget.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 04:59:18 pm »
Congratualtions to all of you who have their anniversary around these days!

I love to read how you reminisce about it and the slight nostalic touch of your posts.

It will be two months till my own anniversary and I already have a date for it: Kerstin and I will kick my husband out of the living room (for this one evening), see the movie together and open the wine Anke (pipedream) gifted us in London. Will be some high-class entertainment  :D.

Do I feel a tiny bit weird, remembering the first time I saw a movie to the exact date and making plans for a anniversary celebration  ::)?
Nope. Not after reading your posts on this thread. It's good to have found fellow Brokies  :).

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 09:45:29 am »
January 12th is my first anniversary of seeing the movie for the third time (Dec 27 and Jan 5 were the first two). This time, I went with my husband and daughter.

I don't have much recollection of the event except that the theater was crowded. It was a Saturday afternoon matinee.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 09:59:29 am »
mine is this Sunday - I went ot a showing in Dundee with my 2 best mates - 2 of us were up visiting my third friend. we wnet to an afternoon showing and then went bowling.

I suggested brokeback over other films as I was intrigued and had heard it was pretty good. Nor more than that. Then I got obsessed! 

I think I'll come and chat for a while in celebration.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 10:18:37 am »
mine is this Sunday - I went ot a showing in Dundee with my 2 best mates - 2 of us were up visiting my third friend. we wnet to an afternoon showing and then went bowling.

I suggested brokeback over other films as I was intrigued and had heard it was pretty good. Nor more than that. Then I got obsessed! 

I think I'll come and chat for a while in celebration.

I remember when you went, Kelda...at least I think I do. Didn't you show up at IMDb pretty quick? I know I was a regular by then. In fact, I think I wrote Brokeback Fever shortly after my third viewing.

L

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 10:35:07 am »
Wow Leslie! Well remembered! I feel quite honoured!  ;D

Yeah - I got home from Dundee on the Sunday - and bought the soundtrack on the Monday - had checked out IMDB on the Monday also and registered to use the boards on the Tuesday (16th) - and that is where my posting life began!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 10:53:54 am »
Wow Leslie! Well remembered! I feel quite honoured!  ;D

Yeah - I got home from Dundee on the Sunday - and bought the soundtrack on the Monday - had checked out IMDB on the Monday also and registered to use the boards on the Tuesday (16th) - and that is where my posting life began!

In the crazy wildness that was IMDb, I am amazed that I quickly sorted out the people I enjoyed chatting with and who have become long term friends. You are definitely on that list, Kelda!

L

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 03:04:09 pm »
In the crazy wildness that was IMDb, I am amazed that I quickly sorted out the people I enjoyed chatting with and who have become long term friends. You are definitely on that list, Kelda!

L

awww!! Thanks L .... and ditto!

*insert warm glowing feeling here!!*