Author Topic: Scene 1: Jack getting out of pickup  (Read 16538 times)

squashcourt

Scene 1: Jack getting out of pickup
« on: January 08, 2007, 02:38:27 pm »
Ennis stealing a quick glance at Jack.
Jack glancing inquisitively at Ennis.
I'm still debatting with myself if this is not their first mutual attraction towards one another.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Scene 1: Jack getting out of pickup
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:42:51 pm »
Jack was definately checking out Ennis.   I think Jack knew he liked boys alot earlier.    Probably one of the reasons he left home so young. 

Ennis did glance over at Jack, but purely out of curiousity of seeing who his competition for the job was.   

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 02:55:40 pm »
Jack was definately checking out Ennis.   I think Jack knew he liked boys alot earlier.    Probably one of the reasons he left home so young. 

Ennis did glance over at Jack, but purely out of curiousity of seeing who his competition for the job was.   

Essentially I agree with David. Jack is clearly cruising Ennis.

For myself, however, I don't conceptualize Ennis's behavior as checking out the competition for the job, but this is one of those places where I'm guilty of allowing Annie Proulx' story to inform my interpretation of what's happening on the screen. Despite Joe Aguirre's line about the pair of deuces "lookin' for work," per the story, I believe they already had their jobs and had been told to report to Joe Aguirre in Signal at that time. So I conceptualize Ennis's behavior as just being curious about this other guy with whom he probably was going to be working that summer but being too shy and unsocialized to go over and say hello.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 02:17:36 pm »
I think Jack was sizing up Ennis, even flirting with him
but Ennis was being more practiical, Like Jeff Wrangler,  I don't think Ennis saw Jack as competition since they had already come together on paper.

I think Ennis was sizing up if this guy was going to pull his own weight and be a good work partner.
And like Jeff said "but being too shy and unsocialized to go over and say hello."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 02:33:49 pm »
I think they both already knew they were working together. So part of both their glances was natural curiosity about the guy they'd be spending the summer with.

Beyond that, Jack was overtly checking Ennis out. Ennis wasn't checking Jack out in the same way, but he probably looked at Jack, subconsciously found him attractive, subconsciously reminded himself that was a no-no, and made himself look away immediately.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 02:34:51 pm »
I think Ennis was sizing up if this guy was going to pull his own weight and be a good work partner.

Good point, Toast! I'd never quite taken my own thinking to that point, but it makes good sense to me.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 03:24:23 pm »
Remember, Jack had worked for Aguire before, so he knew what kind of work was ahead of them, and I think HE was sizing Ennis up, not only thinking of whether he could do the work, but what kind of company he was gonna be.

Obviously, whoever Jack worked with before, didnt end up in the same tent as him, so I do doubt, whether there was any ulterior motives to the looks he was giving Ennis.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 04:38:29 pm »
Obviously, whoever Jack worked with before, didnt end up in the same tent as him,

That's not obvious to me. I think the whole emphasis on the fact that this is Jack's second summer on Brokeback is meant to indicate he had experience with more than herdin sheep.

so I do doubt, whether there was any ulterior motives to the looks he was giving Ennis.

And even if Jack didn't share a tent with his coworker the previous summer (maybe his coworker was Timmy!) doesn't mean he might not get some ideas when he caught a glimpse of his hot new partner. To me, Jack's little smile after he first looks at Ennis and then looks away (like he's thinking, "Yesssss!!!") says it all.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 04:58:44 pm »
That's not obvious to me. I think the whole emphasis on the fact that this is Jack's second summer on Brokeback is meant to indicate he had experience with more than herdin sheep.

Gotta agree with you here, Katherine.  :)

And even if Jack didn't share a tent with his coworker the previous summer (maybe his coworker was Timmy!)

:laugh:

doesn't mean he might not get some ideas when he caught a glimpse of his hot new partner. To me, Jack's little smile after he first looks at Ennis and then looks away (like he's thinking, "Yesssss!!!") says it all.

I'd say maybe just a "N-i-i-i-i-c-e!" might be more likely, but, gen'rally speakin', no real disagreement here, either.  :D

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 09:04:24 pm »
no real disagreement here, either.  :D

Yay!  :D