Author Topic: Scene 1: Jack getting out of pickup  (Read 16591 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Scene 1: Jack getting out of pickup
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 01:29:09 pm »
Speaking of the sheep, it really wouldn't matter that the heard were mixed. the sheep know their herder(s) and will follow. the storm would have caused them to scatter though.

"I know my sheep and my sheep know me."  :)

A reasonable expectation, but, reasonable or not, that isn't what happened in either the story or the film. Annie tells us that it took them a week to untangle the two flocks, and even then they weren't completely successful because the paint brands were worn off. Remember: "Some a these never went up there with you."

Occurs to me now, too, that it makes no sense to think that somebody with economic interests in a flock of sheep would have sent an inexperienced guy into the mountains with a flock of sheep alone in 1962 (1963 was only Jack's second year on the mountain).
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

squashcourt

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 01:44:20 pm »
I still hold firmly to my original interpretation of that scene.
Even as a gay man, I do not view it as Jack giving him the eye.

Affectionately,
Pierre

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 01:58:31 pm »
One of the great things about that scene is that you can read different things into it, depending on your expectations. In some ways, it looks like the first encounter between two antagonists in a Western -- you've got the guy in the black hat and the guy in the not-quite-white hat coming into town and looking each other over, and I'm not enough of a Western fan to give examples, but I'm sure I've seen a scene something like that in another movie. (Help! Somebody who has watched more movies, tell me if I'm crazy!) But if you know that the two guys are going to fall in love, it's also possible to see it as checking out an attractive guy.

It seems like Ang Lee plays with the visual expectations of a Western a bit, plays with the image of the cowboy, in ways that Annie Proulx didn't.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 02:28:40 pm »
I still hold firmly to my original interpretation of that scene.
Even as a gay man, I do not view it as Jack giving him the eye.

Affectionately,
Pierre

So you're no longer "debating," you've come to an interpretation with which you are comfortable? Good!

And that's what you meant by "fantasies sometimes overtake some of us"?

All I know is, I've seen guys behaving just like Jack in any gay bar I've ever been in on a Saturday night.  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

squashcourt

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 08:03:28 pm »
Hi Jeff,

The server of my ISP crashed.  I think you commented further.  Lost your comment.  If you're willing and have an opportunity, I'd be happy to read it.

Hope you're OK.

Affectionately,

Pierre -  ;)

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 08:27:10 pm »
It seems like Ang Lee plays with the visual expectations of a Western a bit, plays with the image of the cowboy, in ways that Annie Proulx didn't.

Most definitely....my husband, upon seeing BBM for the first time two weeks ago, commented that the opening scene was like a Clint Eastwood movie! I had to chuckle.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

squashcourt

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 09:10:09 pm »
Hi Jeff,

Thanks again for your comment. 

Again, I respect your interpretation of the scene.  In some way, you are right but my observation of the scene may be one of a personal experience that happened in January 1999 when I applied for a 2-year assignment as an avionics designer with an aerospace company here.  There was another candidate applying for that same position.  We both got interviewed and both got the position at the same location (different aircrafts).  I met him the following day in the Project Director's office and that's where we stole questionnable glances at one another first with apprehension but there was something else (nervousness).  Three months passed although we saw each other almost every day with the usual small talk.  Being gay, I found him handsome and attractive- 2 years younger than me.  One night we had to work over both designs and that's when revelations were made - that was 3 months later.  It thrilled me that he also felt attracted to me.  We saw each other often thereafter until 911 when both of our positions were abolished (being contract workers) as aircraft orders were being cancelled by the tons.  Needless to say, we had our share of passions and, etc., etc.  Eventually, we lost contact somewhat sadly.

What I'm getting at is initially it was just a noticeablel physical attraction with no sexual intent in mind and I'm saying this with honesty.  He felt the same way. 

Perhaps this may clarify my observation of the scene.

Pierre -  :)

P.S. The person I very often have in mind is Chuck from Valemont, BC, who I met on a skiing vacation in December 1998 in Jasper, Alberta.  He, though, never revealed to me his sexual orientation and I never inquired into it although we spent every night together.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 10:29:52 pm »
That lean on the truck I used to think was Jack's sort of youthful bravado posturing, but I remember a gay fella here emphasizing heavily what a cruising posture that is.  Not that cruising and youthful bravado aren't intertwined.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 11:24:22 pm »
That lean on the truck I used to think was Jack's sort of youthful bravado posturing, but I remember a gay fella here emphasizing heavily what a cruising posture that is.  Not that cruising and youthful bravado aren't intertwined.

That might have been me, Clarissa.  ::) Or some other gay guy, too.  ;D

And sometimes cruising involves middle-aged bravado, too.  ;D  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 11:34:23 pm »
Hi, Pierre,

Ouch, sorry to hear about your "crash." Goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation, I'd say.  ;)

You know, the beauty of these threads is that we all get to share the different perspectives, based on different life experiences, from which we view that film.

What I'm getting at is initially it was just a noticeablel physical attraction with no sexual intent in mind and I'm saying this with honesty.  He felt the same way. 

Perhaps this may clarify my observation of the scene.

With respect to Jack's behavior when he gets out of the truck, there's nothing I can really argue with in what you say here. When I say that I'm convinced that Jack is "cruising" Ennis, what I mean is that I think Jack immediately finds Ennis attractive, and he's trying to check Ennis out and get Ennis to check him out in return. But of course there's no way Jack could be sure that they would end up having sex, much less fall in love. He might, however, hope for the possibility of eventual sex.  :)

Jeff