Author Topic: 'Politically correct?'  (Read 8277 times)

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
'Politically correct?'
« on: April 12, 2006, 09:09:29 pm »
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000005/thread/40177950?d=40289060#40289060

I realize I should probably be asking the source about this (MovieFan on IMDB) but I don't really feel like talking to him (yet, anyways). But he negatively mentions how Brokeback Mountain is a 'politically correct' gay rights movie, or something along the lines of that.

Why do you think he said that? Just because they didn't say the word "fag" and because "queer" was said only one time? Anyways, I am posting here because I want to know what you guys think of this guy's comment and your opinion on the issue? Is Brokeback Mountain 'politically correct' and is that one of it's strengths, or weaknesses?
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: 'Politically correct?'
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 09:39:38 pm »
Honestly, I never thought of BBM as politically anything.  I just saw it as a sad, tragic story that unfortunately mirrors real life in so many different lives.
I can't stand that people try to politicize it.
Sounds to me that this guy is trying to say it was made to pacify the gay community, which to me is insane.
I say take it from where it comes >:(
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 09:43:53 pm »
See, same here. I didn't think politics when I watched the movie. I thought they pushed all the issues political issues aside intent on telling an intimate and grim love story. I thought of the characters during the film; I didn't think of gays' rights (well, I started thinking of them after the movie, but that's because I felt so sorry for Jack and Ennis).

I think that's what I want to say to him.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 11:32:18 pm »
OK...Here's my two cents on this...

In my opinion, labelling Brokeback Mountain 'politically correct' is simply a poor attempt by someone who feels threatened to diminish or marginalize the messages of this wonderful film.

At one level, it is most certainly a personal and intimate story about two poor shepherds and the love they discovered together.  Just call it the 'gay cowboy movie' if you'd like.  But it is much, much more than that, or we wouldn't be here talking about it.

The 'threat' comes from the underlying messages, from seeing Jack and Ennis, not as gay cowboys, but as people you might know and have come to care for, from seeing some of ourselves in Jack and Ennis, and asking the bigger questions.

I feel like I'm on a soapbox here, so I'm going to stop.

Respectfully,
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 11:38:31 pm »
It might be politically correct if the time and place was Los Angeles or New York 2006 but then it wouldn't be this movie. It, I believe, is an accurate representation of era it represents. 1963-1983 Wyoming-what does the OP think the politics were in that place and time??

O0

Heathen

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 12:25:13 pm »
it's funny to me that you have people saying it's a politically correct film, and then you have people who criticize it for being stereotypical. How does a film manage to be both politically correct and politically incorrect at the same time? For me it's a story about Ennis and Jack. What ever else people want to saddle onto it is their baggage, not the films'.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline mg501

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 07:13:37 pm »
No, I don't think BBM was "politically correct". Just as someone else wrote, it wasn't political at all. I love Jack and Ennis and I have never felt so attached and protective of anyone as I do these two, but they were also flawed characters. If the writer's were tryng to be PC, they would have made the guys "squeaky clean" so to speak.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 06:02:59 pm »
If the writer's were tryng to be PC, they would have made the guys "squeaky clean" so to speak.
I agree.  In fact when I first saw the film I anticipated negative reactions from gay activists,  even though I consider myself to be one.  The fact that the characters deny being queer, that they are flawed individuals and one of them dies at the end, I thought for sure that because of that the film would be dismissed by many activists as perpetuating the stereotype of the sad & lonely gay life.  
A few have of course, Brad Fraser and Don Roos come to mind, but generally the film has been embraced by the gay community.

I think it's a testament to the fact that art eclipses politics.

It's still a political film though in the same way that being openly gay is political but it isn't 'PC'.

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 10:44:36 pm »
It, I believe, is an accurate representation of era it represents. 1963-1983 Wyoming-what does the OP think the politics were in that place and time??

I agree with that. I was not the one who labeled this movie as 'politically correct' as if that's a bad thing. I think one can find underlying messages in the story but I view the movie as a more intimate experience focused on characters.

Ignorance ensues as I post this next sentence but I wasn't really aware of the 'stereotype of the sad & lonely gay life' when I first saw this movie. If all of these gay films were told as blissfully happy tales then there wouldn't be as much sympathy evoked from the audience members; what I think is important is telling the story (and characters) as close to realistically as possible and I think Brokeback Mountain did that very well.

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 06:49:31 pm »
No, I don't think BBM was "politically correct". Just as someone else wrote, it wasn't political at all. I love Jack and Ennis and I have never felt so attached and protective of anyone as I do these two, but they were also flawed characters. If the writer's were tryng to be PC, they would have made the guys "squeaky clean" so to speak.

Agree completely.  If you want a 'pc correct' gay couple check out the couple in the 'Family Stone'.