Author Topic: 'Politically correct?'  (Read 8360 times)

Offline OddlyEven

• Don't Say Much
Re: 'Politically correct?'
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 11:28:40 pm »
I definitely don't think this is a political movie. There's a great review at IMDb that was copied and pasted there that is supposedly from an actual cowboy. It's really a good review of the movie. There's a small part in which he mentions the movie shouldn't be an excuse for waving the gay flag around and I agree with him. No, it's isn't political but I do think it's a social movie. If anything the movie shows what love can do, and what can happen if you try to deny it or stifle it. It also shows you what living in fear and homophobia can do to people.
Be my friend, hold me, wrap me up, unfold me, I am small and needy, warm me up and Breathe me.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 03:46:49 am »
The thing with focusing so much on "political correctness" is that you sometimes forget to be honest. I'll tell you, as a gay Asian man, I'm very aware what the stereotypes are about me. I did go through a period of time where I would try to rebel against all of that, but I realized that I still end up reacting to them, instead of just being me. I'm stereotypical in some way and I break the stereotypes in other ways. Take that to the film. It shows gay men in stereotypes in some way and breaks them in other ways, as well. The story isn't concerned about being political. It just wants to be honest and tell about people's lives, and that in the end is why it connects with its audience.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 08:11:34 pm »
I did once see a definition of "politically correct" that made sense, but I've forgotten it and I've seldom seen a use of the term that meant any more than "I don't like it and I can't be bothered to say why (because if I clarified my thoughts I'd be exposing my prejudices)".

Apparently the history of the term is quite interesting, starting in leftist circles and being used pejoratively and satirically by its opponents almost from the very beginning. In other words there never was a time when "politically correct" meant "politically correct". (That is why its so useful: to deny being correct involves anyone in self-contradiction.)

Most of the PC language that is so derided was never used seriously. The most famous case, the "personhole covers" of Woonsocket was laughed out of court as soon as it was mooted.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 08:26:30 pm »
I did once see a definition of "politically correct" that made sense, but I've forgotten it and I've seldom seen a use of the term that meant any more than "I don't like it and I can't be bothered to say why (because if I clarified my thoughts I'd be exposing my prejudices)".

for me the definition that has always stuck with me is "respect". I'll give an example. I meet Ellemeno, and she tells me her name is Clarissa. Out of respect I'll address her as Clarissa from now on. I don't just go "That name's too hard for me, I just call you Clare." We as individuals have a right to be called by a name of our chosing, and in the same way, groups of people have a right to decide how they want to be addressed. I think if you approach it from the focus of respect, any missteps in saying the wrong things, will be easily forgiven.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 12:33:53 am »

for me the definition that has always stuck with me is "respect". I'll give an example. I meet Ellemeno, and she tells me her name is Clarissa. Out of respect I'll address her as Clarissa from now on. I don't just go "That name's too hard for me, I just call you Clare." We as individuals have a right to be called by a name of our chosing, and in the same way, groups of people have a right to decide how they want to be addressed. I think if you approach it from the focus of respect, any missteps in saying the wrong things, will be easily forgiven.

I couldn't agree more. Another old-fashioned expression for it is "good manners". There are one or two special cases. I am a Pãkehã (non-Mãori New Zealander, cf Hawai`ian haole). Many Pãkehã hate the expression citing supposed insulting derevations from similar Mãori words. These derivations are nonsense. I strongly suspect the real objection is a racist one, that they object to being described by a Mãori word. They often say they are "just New Zealanders" (and there's recently been a flurry over the ethnicity question in the census). But if they are just New Zealanders, does that mean that Mãori are not New Zealanders? As a Pãkehã, I get very annoyed by other Pãkehã trying to take my name from me.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2006, 12:17:46 pm »

I couldn't agree more. Another old-fashioned expression for it is "good manners". There are one or two special cases. I am a Pãkehã (non-Mãori New Zealander, cf Hawai`ian haole). Many Pãkehã hate the expression citing supposed insulting derevations from similar Mãori words. These derivations are nonsense. I strongly suspect the real objection is a racist one, that they object to being described by a Mãori word. They often say they are "just New Zealanders" (and there's recently been a flurry over the ethnicity question in the census). But if they are just New Zealanders, does that mean that Mãori are not New Zealanders? As a Pãkehã, I get very annoyed by other Pãkehã trying to take my name from me.

Agree.  For me Politically Correct, started out as the idea that everyone's feelings matter.  It became an unworkable concept, but the idea is still true.

Everyone's feelings DO matter, don't they?

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2006, 12:33:31 pm »

and such conflict always happen within groups. even as an individual there are times when you can't make up your mind about how you want to be named. I know I went through some time where I thought I might change my name. Nipith is not a usual name and many people have a difficult time saying it. And my last name, Ongwiseth, just scares people like you wouldn't believe. (btw if you just break it into parts, it fairly straight forward; ong-wi-seth) there are times that I get tired that people get hung up on being so afraid to butcher my name that it hinders them getting to know me. but again, if you just approach it with respect, I wouldn't be offended if you got it wrong.