Author Topic: It's happening ..  (Read 30599 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
It's happening ..
« on: January 12, 2007, 07:52:02 pm »
What is happening, you ask?  ;)

I can't help but notice that most times, there are more guests online than actual users.
Looks like some of us are slowly getting back into our "real" lives once more ..
That is inevitable for sure, but kinda sad when things get quiet 'round here ..

And another interesting thing .. There are tons of people signed up as users who have never actually posted anything .. :o
Come on, people, we ain't that boring!  De-lurk and join in!  ;)

Anyway, just a little rant before I head out for margaritas!  8)
Happy Friday night y'all!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: It's happening ..
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 08:03:58 pm »
Happy Friday Night to you, too, my dear!

Yeah, I've noticed that, too.  But it's cool that we have so much Guest traffic - due in part to the HBO, and now Movie Channel and Cinemax, showings, I'm sure.

Gonna be such a FUN weekend pour moi.  SNL would be enough to make it so, but Will also has his birthday party tomorrow, and I'm going to a surprise birthday party on Sunday (for an adult - YAY!!!).

Hope you all have fun weekend plans, too.

No more beans!

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 08:09:22 pm »
I can't help but notice that most times, there are more guests online than actual users.
Some of these 'guests' could be registered users who are just checking in for a moment...I have on occasion visited for a while without actually logging in. But I usually do log in if I plan on staying for any length of time.
And another interesting thing .. There are tons of people signed up as users who have never actually posted anything .. :o
Come on, people, we ain't that boring!  De-lurk and join in!  ;)
Yes, I join Lucise in encouraging all BetterMostians, prospective or otherwise, to jot off a little post introducing yourselves and saying hi. We're a friendly lot, and would like the opportunity to get to know you.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 08:11:24 pm »
Happy birthday to little Will!! Is he about 5 years old? Give him a kiss for me!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 08:26:03 pm »
Happy birthday to little Will!! Is he about 5 years old? Give him a kiss for me!!

Yeah! Happy birthday to little Will! Having just survived the belated 5th birthday party for my kid today, I don't envy Barb, though. Phew. Little kids can be kinda chaotic... And I swear, I won't bake a cake again for a long time!!!  :P

I agree with moremojo. Many of the lurkers are probably regulars who are just checking in, reading. But it's true: it has gotten more quiet here, and I have to blame myself, too. Real life keeps distracting me at the moment. Lol. Christmas, birthdays, baking cakes, and more cakes, working... Working! Yeah. 

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 08:52:37 pm »
Oh, I won't be baking a cake for this one.  I did make him some cupcakes for his actual birthday, which was December 28th.  Kind of the cheater's way out, I know...  And I've ordered one from Publix (the grocery store down here in SoFlo).  They actually do a very nice job.  It'll have blue and red frosting and a Spider-Man theme on it.  That reminds me - I need to be sure to pick up some blue and red balloons tomorrow morning when I go to get it.  We're having it at the local kids' gymnastics place.  They're big down here.  They have a big trampoline and stuff they can swing and climb on, but with mats everywhere and three "coaches" to spot them.  I've been to a couple of these for other kids before, and so far, no serious injuries!  ;)  (None at all, really.)  It costs a bit, but it's better than trying to entertain 15 5-year-olds yourself.  I don't know how my Mom did it.  And three times over, besides.

I'm putting together veggie and cheese and coldcuts plates (with dips) for the adults.  Got all the stuff for it tonight.  Just gotta grab the cake... and balloons... and ice... and soda...  GAH!  tomorrow morning.  Shoot - I'd better rest up for this weekend tonight...
No more beans!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 09:06:51 pm »
Oh you mean you won't have them running through your house? Wise decision!  ;)
We, too, managed without serious injuries, though. But then, there were only five kids. I read once that you should never invite more children than your kid turns years old. Five was perfect. They played well together. In between various arguments, that is...

:)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 09:24:57 pm »
Good luck with the party, Barb!  It sounds like both kiddies and adults will have a good time.  :)

You're probably right about people falling away to re-focus on "real" life, but some of the Guests you're seeing are actually search engine spiders, called Inktomi.  Since we switched servers last month, we've had a lot more of them on here cataloguing data.

As for the registered members who don't post, if you or anyone reading this has ideas about how to reach and motivate them, please pass them on to Lynne or any of the mods.  I think a certain percentage of these folks would respond to friendly encouragement.

I registered long ago at DC and only posted once or twice.  Maybe if someone had taken the time to say howdy, I'd have gotten more involved.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 09:37:39 pm »
Gonna be such a FUN weekend pour moi ... Will also has his birthday party tomorrow

I was going to say, Barb's holding a kid's birthday party tomorrow and that's a reason to LOOK FORWARD to this weekend? Wow, she must be a great mom!

The gymnastics place sounds like a good deal. Especially the coaches. I am totally in favor of any birthday-party shortcuts you can find: we go out bowling, roller-skating, wall climbing, I buy the establishment-provided decor and hot-dog or pizza lunch, AND serve store-bought cupcakes! In fact, in more recent years I've taken to getting Dairy Queen ice-cream cakes or ice-cream pizzas, because then you don't need separate ice cream.

I held only one party at our house. Luckily, my control-freak, alpha-male, future-party-planning, then-6-year-old son took over all the planning, decorating, game-choosing ... everything, down to setting up the games and picking out the prizes for the treat bags. But even then I found the whole thing kind of terrifying!

Well, I guess this is a little OT ...  ::)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 04:15:38 am »
Barb ~  Have fun with the kiddies and your Will's birthday party!   :)

Anke ~ Great tip on not inviting more kids than your birthday kid's age ..  Sounds like smart advice (except on the first birthday party .. one kid invited will not make much of a party ..  ;D)

Meryl
~ Agreed.  We gotta brainstorm on how to encourage lurkers to de-lurk and participate.. :)

Anyway .. looking forward to Jakey's SNL performance tonight!