Author Topic: It's happening ..  (Read 30797 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: It's happening ..
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2007, 06:57:06 pm »
Fast or slow, marlb45, I just like the direction you're goin!! Shall we chat sometime?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2007, 07:03:11 pm »
That is what makes this forum so great, at least in my life I do not encounter such a great mix of people, who at least in my experience, do not normally get together.  But BBM has brought together a mix of people who are nonjudgemental, not petty, and are so accepting of others.   I hope that  I am expressing myself in a way that makes sense.  I just wanted to explain it, and I do so wish I had joined this little world sooner because I can tell it truly is  wonderful.

Marlb, clearly you were always meant to be here; you were just one of those sheep that lingered in the fold, not sure about heading up the mountain.  Now that you're up in the high pastures, though, ain't the grazing fine?  8)

So glad you came our way.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2007, 11:08:10 pm »

marlb45, that was such a great post!  You seem to be exhibiting some of the classic symptoms of Brokie-fever!  So, welcome to our little club.  We're glad you found your way here.

I wait until I'm alone in the house, tilt the TV so there's no window glare

:o :o :o  I'm really wierd when it comes to glare on the TV whilst watching Brokeback too!  I thought I was the only one. I almost always watch it at night because it's almost impossible to avoid the glare in my apartment during the day.

About the crying/ not-crying topic.  Well,  I'll admit I can watch it now without crying and that certainly depends on my mood.  But the flashback still has quite the power to make me cry, even after all this time.  The music on the soundtrack that I know goes along with the flashback almost kills me everytime. 

I wonder what my reaction to the film would be in a room full of Brokies watching together.  Would we all start a chain reaction and cause one another to start weeping?   :'(
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:14:02 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2007, 11:55:06 pm »
I wonder what my reaction to the film would be in a room full of Brokies watching together.  Would we all start a chain reaction and cause one another to start weeping?   :'(

I suspect it would depend on who was there, and how they were behaving. And how much whiskey was being passed back and forth. And whether anyone brings up subjects like logs or counting how many times Jack swears or anything inappropriate.

My experience has been that groups of fans tend to be less reverent when they watch a movie together than when they watch it separately.

(Hi, marlb42! Nice threads in the Open Forum. :) There's one thread in the Open Forum on "why are we like this" - I'm not sure if it's been bumped lately. But somebody suggested that we only get obsessed with BBM if something in our lives is ready for it. So maybe a year ago just wasn't the right time for you to deal with BBM. But you're here now. :) )
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2007, 03:06:38 am »

I'm with Mel on this -- I think we'd be less likely to cry all together than to cry separately. We'd look around and see how funny we looked (not that BBM isn't tragic, but you know what I mean ...) and that would be enough to stop the tears.

Here's one for you. I was crying this morning, in my car, after dropping off my son at school. Just about some things going on, don't bother comforting me because that's not the point of the story. Anyway, I stop at a stoplight and look into my rearview mirror, and who do I see driving the car behind me but Jake Gyllenhaal's second cousin.

Yes. Jake's second cousin is the dad of a kid at my son's school. I found that out the day I was introduced to him.  I heard his last name, and of course I asked if he was a relation, and he was. Something in his demeanor kept me from launching into a passionate Brokeback discussion. We're casual acquaintances now, and I can tell you that the man is nothing like Jake (possibly a faint family resemblance around the eyes -- same with Anders Gyllenhaal, Jake's uncle, who was editor of the Minneapolis paper when I lived in Minneapolis).

I took Jake's second cousin's presence as some kind of weird sign of ... I don't know, hope? absurdity? Something. Whatever the case, that odd encounter made me stop crying and cleared up my mood!

:D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2007, 11:33:37 am »

Well, I had the chance to watch the film in a room full of Brokies in Boston back in September. I wouldn't call it a chain reaction, but there was quite a lot of weeping at the end, I can tell you that.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2007, 04:34:46 pm »

And at least we're not using the sink. ...  ;D

What?  Jeff, didn't you get the memo?  I've been using the sink exclusively since I first read BBM.  I'm pretty sure most of us are. 

Aren't we?

;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2007, 04:54:24 pm »
What?  Jeff, didn't you get the memo?  I've been using the sink exclusively since I first read BBM.  I'm pretty sure most of us are. 

Aren't we?

;)

;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2007, 05:05:13 pm »
The toilets in our car went down on my Canadian train adventure (the tank froze), and so we pee'd down the sink..   I felt so Ennis-y!  :D  :D

Scott6373

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2007, 05:08:29 pm »
That's great for you tall guys...we shorties have find a stool or a willing man with a strong back