Author Topic: It's happening ..  (Read 30594 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: It's happening ..
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2007, 02:01:46 pm »
Amen to that. Alone also beats a theater full of insensitive dweebs who laugh in inappropriate places, make audible snide comments, talk on cell phones, ... I could go on, but I'm sure you get the direction I'm goin'.

Really? That sounds awful  :( I only saw the movie once on my own in the cinema. I thought that was a bit spooky really, being there all by myself...
The other times i saw it, there were always other people there, mosty straight couples  ???, but everyone was very well behaved. One time a man actually came over to me after the movie had finished and asked me if i was alright. I guess he couldn't stand the sight of me sobbing.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2007, 02:10:05 pm »
I had one very interesting BBM theatre experience:

There were these two friends sitting infront of me .. 2 young women.  They were into the film, I could tell they were liking it.  Then during the Confrontation at the Lake scene, one of them starting crying (very loudly too).  Her friend took her outside for a moment because she seemed to be having problems breathing.  After a few moments, they came back in, but we know what happens after the lake scene, Ennis getting the postcard and all.  Well she basically lost it then, she was hysterical.  Some people around us were angry she was crying so loud, but I felt so bad for her ..  Anyway, she managaed to make it through the last moments of the film.  Later, after the show, I found her, red-faced, tears streaming down her face, falling apart in the ladies' room ..  It was incredible to see someone so touched by the movie.  I managed to talk to her for abit .. she said she would love to see the film again, but didn't think she could make it through another viewing without falling apart.  It was all very moving.  That was one viewing I didn't soon forget.   :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 02:12:56 pm by Lucise »

Scott6373

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2007, 02:16:37 pm »
The second time I went to the film was the time I sneaked out of work early to drive to Harvard Square in Cambridge , Ma (which is the only place that was showing it at the time).  I watched the film and had the expected second viewing response...just devastation, but when the lights came up and folks (not too many) were standing and leaving, there was one guy in like the third row, who was just sitting bent over, his head in his hands.  You could tell he was weeping, and he was all alone.  I wanted to go to him, but, hey...it's 2005...Boston...he woulda thought I was mugging him...but I've often thought about him, and what brought him to that point in his life..to that theater, and what caused that reaction for him.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2007, 02:29:09 pm »
Agreed Scott.

It was very moving to see people struggling through their private pains as they watched the movie or in the moments afterwards.  I never left right after the show, I always sat there and listened to Willie's "He was a friend of mine" and Rufus' "Maker makes" .. so I got to see people sit there with all kinds of reactions and expressions on their faces.

There was an older man who watched the movie almost as many times as I did .. I know this because he was there at quite a few of my viewings.  We silently recognised each other every time .. he always came alone, would sit off in a corner by himself and stay after the show.  I could  tell he had his own private "Brokeback Mountain" he was dealing with.  I wanted to talk to him a coupla times but chickened out because he always looked like he wanted to be left alone .. very Ennis-like he seemed.  :)

Scott6373

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2007, 02:32:11 pm »
.. very Ennis-like he seemed.  :)

And isn't that where Annie started this whole thing

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2007, 06:37:43 pm »

There was an older man who watched the movie almost as many times as I did .. I know this because he was there at quite a few of my viewings.  We silently recognised each other every time .. he always came alone, would sit off in a corner by himself and stay after the show.  I could  tell he had his own private "Brokeback Mountain" he was dealing with.  I wanted to talk to him a coupla times but chickened out because he always looked like he wanted to be left alone .. very Ennis-like he seemed.  :)

See now, reading this made me tear up, Milli.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2007, 10:12:01 am »
See now, reading this made me tear up, Milli.

Yeah Milli & Scott's stories did make me tear up...
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2007, 12:58:58 pm »
Yeah Milli & Scott's stories did make me tear up...

Yeah, no matter what people say .. there is no denying the effect this movie had/is having on people all over the world.

I used to go onto the movie's site: (http://www.brokebackmountainmovie.com) to read some of the stories people from all over the world have shared on there.  Some of them are so very sad and so very moving ..

I sometimes wonder if Annie really grasps the magnitude of what she started ..  :)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2007, 02:17:22 pm »

I sometimes wonder if Annie really grasps the magnitude of what she started .. 

That's such a powerful statement it bears repeating.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2007, 02:23:07 pm »
I sometimes wonder if Annie really grasps the magnitude of what she started ..  :)

Very perceptive, Milli. Ya do have to wonder.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.