Author Topic: It was Ennis who first showed his affection for Jack . . .  (Read 6178 times)

squashcourt

It was Ennis who first showed his affection for Jack . . .
« on: January 12, 2007, 08:40:56 pm »
Look at the scene carefully when Jack places his bandanna on Ennis's temple after his fall.  After a few seconds, Ennis very gently wraps his hand around Jack's when a few seconds later Jack slides his index finger away from Ennis's hand.

Better viewed frame by frame for the detail of this scene.

Let me know your reactions.

Thanks.

Affectionately,

Pierre -  ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: It was Ennis who first showed his affection for Jack . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 01:34:52 am »
Hmmm. Interesting point, but I don't know.  ???

Seems to me if you view the scene slowly, or frame by frame, of course it's going to make Ennis's movement appear slow and gentle. Might that not possibly be misleading? Shouldn't it really be viewed "full speed"?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 04:02:27 am »

I wonder if it is a Heath Ledger quality?  I always admired Heath's very animated way of using his hands as an extension of his words.  I've watched him closely on all of his interviews during the Brokeback times, and he has a wonderful way with his hands, one of the things I've always admired about him.

Also, Ennis was always proficient with HIS hands, from catching Aguirre's watch, to "tying knots all day," to gently sprinkling salt in his hand before adding it to the supper he was cooking. Ennis was very deliberate with how he used his hands.  He seemed very careful with how he handled the bandana, but it might just be part of his nature.
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 11:27:19 am »
Look at the scene carefully when Jack places his bandanna on Ennis's temple after his fall.  After a few seconds, Ennis very gently wraps his hand around Jack's when a few seconds later Jack slides his index finger away from Ennis's hand.

There's a fault within your logic: it's Jack who first shows affection in this scene by taking his bandana off and trying to wipe Ennis' temple with it.

BTW: again a picture of Jack as ministering angel, even in this early stage of their relationship. Very similar to the scene with the punch at their last day on the mountain.

Edit: Where did I leave my manners? We haven't talked yet, Pierre, so welcome to BetterMost!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 12:13:23 pm by Penthesilea »

injest

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 11:54:13 am »
well dang....guess I am gonna have to go watch that movie again...*sigh* it is a tough job but SOMEBODY has to do it....

:laugh: :laugh: ;)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 12:11:18 pm »
well dang....guess I am gonna have to go watch that movie again...*sigh* it is a tough job but SOMEBODY has to do it....

:laugh: :laugh: ;)

It's so nice of you that you're willing to sacrifice yourself for our benefit  ;).
Tell ya what... yesterday I wanted to check only the first scene outside Aguirre's trailer...and ended up watching their whole summer on Brokeback, until Ennis doubled over in the ally. *sigh*

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 01:06:38 pm »
That's such a wonderful scene -- whoever is first showing the affection, there's definitely chemistry there. (There was a moment from that scene in the trailer, and I think it was used to hint at the developing relationship as much as the clips from the first tent scene or the reunion.) I haven't caught the gentleness from Ennis's hands, but there are all sorts of other indications of affection before that moment. That's right after Ennis orders the soup he doesn't like because Jack is sick of beans, and (as goadra/Barbara mentioned), it's right after Jack looks worried when Ennis isn't in camp.

I don't think Ennis knows or understands what he's feeling at that moment, but I think he's already fallen in love. (Jack, I think, knows he's attracted to Ennis... but I don't think Jack knows just how hard he's going to fall for this guy.)

(Pierre, have I said hi? I'm glad you're starting new threads with your observations... it's a breath of fresh air. So welcome!)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

injest

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 01:14:24 pm »
I also wanted to say hi, Pierre! enjoying your threads!

I love the scene in the morning when Jack gets on his horse and the horse acts up...and he looks over and Ennis is standing there looking at him...there is so much in that look...and Ennis trys to cover it up..LOL

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 01:19:04 pm »
Seems to me if you view the scene slowly, or frame by frame, of course it's going to make Ennis's movement appear slow and gentle. Might that not possibly be misleading? Shouldn't it really be viewed "full speed"?

True that, Jeff!   :)

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 03:01:22 pm »

(Pierre, have I said hi? I'm glad you're starting new threads with your observations... it's a breath of fresh air. So welcome!)

Ah yes....WELCOME Pierre!!  Make yourself at home.

Adrian
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Garry_LH

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 04:04:17 pm »
Well... if you want to go clear back to where we first get a clue Ennis cares for Jack, we're back at where he orders soup from the Bast, instead of the beans he so clearly likes.
It could be like this, just like this... always.

squashcourt

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 05:51:07 pm »
There's a fault within your logic: it's Jack who first shows affection in this scene by taking his bandana off and trying to wipe Ennis' temple with it.

Edit: Where did I leave my manners? We haven't talked yet, Pierre, so welcome to BetterMost!

Hi -

True . . .  perhaps I should have clarified my observation.
This is about the gentle wrapping of Ennis's hand over Jack's to get the bandanna.  If a close friend of mine would be physically hurt I would not think twice about coming to his help.  I would think that's how Jack reacted. 
Some guys (straight or gay) have this macho image to to uphold and I must admit I am one of them but I would never cringe away from a gentle touch. 

The movie, in my opinion, is about two men who have repressed their homosexuality.  Their stolen glances at the beginning (trailer scene) may have been the match that lit the candle.  They became friendlier and more familiar with each other as the summer went by.  Ennis's lightning pat on Jack's hip after he shot the elk may have been Ennis's way of wanting to show what may have been awakened in him and since there are only the two of them and since both are in the same mental stress about each other's feelings why even bring up who is a bottom and who is a top as some have suggested.  This is not relevant to this tragedy.  Let's face it - it's a current situation.

Affectionately,

Pierre -  ;)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 12:49:14 am »

Ennis's lightning pat on Jack's hip after he shot the elk

I missed that!  When is that?

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 01:18:31 am »
in all my readings the last few weeks I haven't seen anything on what I noticed, how very close they were sitting next to each other when they were eating the elk.  It's hard to tell but it looks like their knees are touching.

And I have seen this mentioned but it is one of my favorite mini scenes, when they get to the second camp and Jack finds that white thing they use as a bench (what is that?, wood or a animals skeleton?, Ennis was clearly reaching out to Jack but its hard to tell if he was touching Jack or that thing.  Still that was not too long before TS1.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 12:11:39 pm »
in all my readings the last few weeks I haven't seen anything on what I noticed, how very close they were sitting next to each other when they were eating the elk.  It's hard to tell but it looks like their knees are touching.

And I have seen this mentioned but it is one of my favorite mini scenes, when they get to the second camp and Jack finds that white thing they use as a bench (what is that?, wood or a animals skeleton?, Ennis was clearly reaching out to Jack but its hard to tell if he was touching Jack or that thing.  Still that was not too long before TS1.
It was a dead log. It is hard to tell but I think Ennis does give Jack a pat on the shoulder.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 12:40:00 pm »
Thats what I tend to think it was too.

To me that tiny scene is so significant because to me it shows how much Ennis was changed, from not being able to make eye contact and barely being able to speak to Jack to being able to reach out to him like that.

I think that it also shows Ennis's desire and willingness to make even more of a connection and get closer to Jack...which of course happened soon.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 12:46:55 pm »

I love this mini-scene, too. I've watched it closely, because first I thought Ennis would help Jack with carrying the log. But he isn't. I'm with jpwagoneer on this: he gives Jack a pat on the shoulder.
You're also right about sitting very close while eating the elk. I don't think their knees touch, but almost.

While typing your reply came in:

To me that tiny scene is so significant because to me it shows how much Ennis was changed, from not being able to make eye contact and barely being able to speak to Jack to being able to reach out to him like that.

Yep. Isn't it wonderful? Ang Lee did a marvellous job showing their growing friendship and affection. And how Ennis relaxed around Jack. So many little things: sitting near each other, the most Ennis spoke in a year, their joking with each other "Tent don't look right", and on and on.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 12:57:23 pm »

Yep. Isn't it wonderful? Ang Lee did a marvellous job showing their growing friendship and affection. And how Ennis relaxed around Jack. So many little things: sitting near each other, the most Ennis spoke in a year, their joking with each other "Tent don't look right", and on and on.
[/quote]

Yep. And thats why lke all of you before me I have so fallen in love with this film.  It is truly amazing how Ang Lee did it and how he did it with so much elegance and restraint that much of it is not really noticable untill you see it over and over and over and then it all starts to become clear.  But I guess you already know that.